Home Non Cigar Related

splain me that rugby

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've tried to grok rugby on many occasions. Can't. Last weekend I stumbled onto the women's world cup: England versus New Zealand. The Brits all beefy barmaids from beer joints that don't need no bouncer. You could picture one coming out from the back room with a keg in each hand "get outta my fuggn way". But the NZ Black Ferns, holy haka, those burly Maori gals make Serena look like Twiggy. I mean, these women would make a silverback wanna put the lid down. 

So I got to watching with the toob on the right hand and the innerwebz on the left hand trying to figure out the rules. No dice. Like as simple as this: The ferns won pretty much by playing cowdozer. One would hug the ball, put her head down, run into the line of barmaids, two steps with five Brits on her back, down she went in a pile, pop the ball out between her legs, you know how they do, like laying an egg; then the next Fern would pick it up, head down, dive into the line of barmaids, plow ahead, go down... and so they would advance inexorably two three steps at a time. No one could stop them. Tried page after page. Could not figure why, when a Fern laid her egg, a barmaid wouldn't grab it. The whole deal beats me.  Everything I read would go like "blah blah blah it's a knock on". ... and if the ref don't wanna, she just says "play on".

The hell?

Yesterday I was watching Penn State & they showed a team pic of Nittany Lionesses who won the college rugby cup. All long blonde haired mothers of heroes, broad in the hips and deep in the chests. A TV promo promising more college rugby to come. 

Anyone here splain me rugby so I can understand, or point me to a page that does?
“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    covfefe
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little dirt never hurt
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Nope, that was one of the blah blah knock ons. Rules very poorly explained. 

Like for example: why do they throw the ball under the center of the scrum when they obviously throw it toward their own side? You'd think they'd have to roll it in the center.

Might as well just toss it in to your own side like soccer.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to help you, but I even had a friend from NZ try and explain it and all I heard was "blah blah blah blah blah blah."

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about confusing, had no idea it was this complicated. http://www.princetonacrugby.com/how-to-play-rugby.html
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For example: First item in the Rugby Vocabulary on that page:

Blindside - from a set piece, this is the short side of the field

Begs the question: What's a "set piece"? Undefined.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The term set piece or set play is used in association football and rugby football to refer to a situation when the ball is returned to open play, for example following a stoppage, particularly in a forward area of the pitch.
    A little dirt never hurt