Home Non Cigar Related

Computer Problems!

Hey Guys. I know a couple of you on here are computer wizzes, so maybe you can help me out. I am having trouble viewing a good number of videos recently and I don't know why. They don't come up as broken but there is an empty box where the video would be and there is a small icon in the upper left hand corner that is a small page with colored geometric figures on it. Anyone know what this is about?

Comments

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    It could be any number of things, missing codecs, plug ins, etc...but the most common is no flash plug in is installed. Just go to www.google.com and type in "download flash for...name of internet browser" let us know results.

"Long ashes my friends."

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    It could be any number of things, missing codecs, plug ins, etc...but the most common is no flash plug in is installed. Just go to www.google.com and type in "download flash for...name of internet browser" let us know results.
    My recommendation as well!
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    figured it out. If you are running XP and upgrade to windows explorer 8 then you need to upgrade to the newest Adobe Flash player, since WE 8 is designed for Vista. You will not be prompted to do so at any time unless you do it yourself as I have had this issue for going on 1 month now.
    Thanks for the help anyway guys
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Yup. It depends on your computer, I've seen some browsers prompt for it, others not. Either way glad you fixed it.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    post a link to one of the videos that wont play and we can go from there.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    lol, I guess jason was the last one to log onto this forum from this laptop, that last message from duder2 was me.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, my HP Pavilion Win10 box has been slow to load Windows, slow enough that I figured it was hung after an upgrade.  I could log in and get a black screen and I could pull up the task manager <ctrl> <alt> <del> and run stuff from there.

I used the restore points to roll back before some recent upgrades and got things back to normal but have experienced the problem again.  Poking around the Internet and randomly killing svchost.exe processes with the task manager has lead me to believe that it's the Superfetch process that's pwning my computer, I found a web page and hopefully things will be right as rain from now on.  I think if I just waited long enough, a long, long time Windows would eventually finish loading.  

Posting this link in case anyone else is getting pwned by Superfetch.

https://www.technipages.com/windows-enable-disable-superfetch
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    So, my HP Pavilion Win10 box has been slow to load Windows, slow enough that I figured it was hung after an upgrade.  I could log in and get a black screen and I could pull up the task manager <ctrl> <alt> <del> and run stuff from there.

I used the restore points to roll back before some recent upgrades and got things back to normal but have experienced the problem again.  Poking around the Internet and randomly killing svchost.exe processes with the task manager has lead me to believe that it's the Superfetch process that's pwning my computer, I found a web page and hopefully things will be right as rain from now on.  I think if I just waited long enough, a long, long time Windows would eventually finish loading.  

Posting this link in case anyone else is getting pwned by Superfetch.

https://www.technipages.com/windows-enable-disable-superfetch
    Great find!
    It helped me solve some minor browsing issues I was having.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Yeah, well that wasn't the fix.  I found after some searching a recent problem with HP laptops (and maybe other's) after a Windows update that's solved by disabling the App Readiness service.  Working so far.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-OMEN-Black-screen-after-logging-in-Windows-10/td-p/6320475

That page and site helped me get some problems squared away that I was having with that superfetch thing. I thought I just had to live with it.
    Disabling it made things so much better.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    That's great, Tony. I'm glad it was helpful.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patchitty patchpatch patch patch patch

How you people put up with it I  don't know. 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost said:
    Patchitty patchpatch patch patch patch

How you people put up with it I  don't know. 

Clarify.
    Put up with what?
    Cause clearly we are doing something wrong that you know of a better way? 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    I sense a competing OS will be revealed soon...

I know, right?
    Us Windows users are Neanderthals. LOL!

Linux or Apple?
    I've began liking Linux Kubuntu OS.
    But until I've spent a lot of time and I know what it will do and what software will run with it, I'm still hesitant at using it as a main OS.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm baa-aaack!  And I've got another question regarding my iPhone. Recently, I was texting with a friend and out of nowhere a grey band appeared above my keyboard and it contains varying words like some sort of helper. 

I dont think i brought this change about and there there hasn't been any recent updates that I'm aware of so I don't know why it's here, where it came from, or how to get rid of it. All I know is that it takes up screen space and I don't want it. Can someone tell me how to get rid of it, please?

Here's a screenshot:

The grey bar contains the words 'I', 'thanks', and 'the'. Any ideas?
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just suggestions that the smart-azz iphone thinks you are thinking. Should be able to turn it off somewhere if it isn't helpful.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should've had that all along Marty.  I'm guessing your keyboard app got updated somehow.  They are simply prompts - as you're typing a word, it guesses what you're typing and if it's correct and you tap that word in the gray bar it'll save you the time of typing out the whole word.  It's a great time-saver, and most keyboard apps have a learning function that will help it get better over time according to the words you frequently use.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Thanks guys. I know what it does. And I neither like it nor want it. I just want it gone. I've looked through settings and updates and still don't know how I ended up with it. 

Please....  anybody.....  tell me how to make it go away..  :s
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always thought it was a mandatory part of ios. Check setting for auto complete...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to be able to make it go away…Just fiddled with it for 30mins and I don't think it's going anywhere, thinking a new software update might have made it permanent. 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Still doesn't for me, this is on software version 10.3.3 if it makes any difference.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    Same here. Swiping doesn't make it do anything and I, too, am running 10.3.3. 

Damn, I hate it when some distant programmer decides what I want or don't want. Let ME decide, dammit!!
    Try this?

Tap Settings > General > Keyboards
    Then toggle Predictive OFF.

Found it on Apple site about iOS10

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
     It worked for me now. That's the one think I hate about Apple, they keep changing settings and moving things around and it's so post to help with are overall experience.
    Yakster said:
    Yeah, well that wasn't the fix.  I found after some searching a recent problem with HP laptops (and maybe other's) after a Windows update that's solved by disabling the App Readiness service.  Working so far.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-OMEN-Black-screen-after-logging-in-Windows-10/td-p/6320475

Startup problems are back after an update.  I'm going to check this setting once I can log back in.

That wasn't it, it's still disabled.  Going to try disabling Cortana next.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always something with Windows.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Got it really broken, won't boot now.