Home Non Cigar Related

“This is an ongoing investigation”

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why do they say that? Why do they always get in front of the microphones and say - “This is an ongoing investigation”. Really now? Ya' don't say? Just today, the **** just hits the proverbial fan in DC and the first thing I happen to hear out of some law enforcement big shot's mouth is - “This is an ongoing investigation”. Well hell! I would hope you ARE still investigating. Do they think we're too stupid to know that in the real world they can't wrap everything up neatly in one hour like those dumb CSI episodes? Where the hell did they come up with this useless catchphrase anyway?

Comments

• MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob, I guess this is an ongoing investigation until your questions are answered...lmao:-) :-) :-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Why do they say that? Why do they always get in front of the microphones and say - “This is an ongoing investigation”. Really now? Ya' don't say? Just today, the **** just hits the proverbial fan in DC and the first thing I happen to hear out of some law enforcement big shot's mouth is - “This is an ongoing investigation”. Well hell! I would hope you ARE still investigating. Do they think we're too stupid to know that in the real world they can't wrap everything up neatly in one hour like those dumb CSI episodes? Where the hell did they come up with this useless catchphrase anyway?
    As a former court clerk and continuing public servant I can tell you without a doubt a large portion of the population IS too dumb to figure out the difference between TV and real life. Halfway into the first season I actually wrote a letter to the company that produces CSI telling them how much I hated their show and how hard it made life on justice system (I was a little more hotheaded then). :) Seriously, we had jurors think that we should be doing a $5,000 DNA testing and fingerprinting, for a $50 shop lifting charge AND that the results should be ready in less than a week. Sorry, end of rant. Back to your original statement "This is an ongoing investigation" is one of those things you say to the press when you don't have anything or can't divulge anything of substance but still have to say SOMETHING. The public these days gets nervous if the talking heads stop talking for a few seconds.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to start an investigation into the investigation of "'Bob's" ongoing investigation. This will be a Blue Ribbon Fact Finding Investigation that will require millions of dollars and countless manhours. I will turn over control of my business to my partner and launch this investigation as soon as the necessery funding is in place. Thank you for your support!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    I am going to start an investigation into the investigation of "'Bob's" ongoing investigation. This will be a Blue Ribbon Fact Finding Investigation that will require millions of dollars and countless manhours. I will turn over control of my business to my partner and launch this investigation as soon as the necessery funding is in place. Thank you for your support!
    I am also going to assist in this investigation. Please feel comforted that "onestrangeone" and "clearlysuspect" are heading up this ongoing investigation!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    onestrangeone:
    I am also going to assist in this investigation. Please feel comforted that "onestrangeone" and "clearlysuspect" are heading up this ongoing investigation!
    I feel better already!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    clearlysuspect:
    onestrangeone:
    I feel better already!
    How about millions of dollars, a few man hours and a bunch of garbledegook results that we cant understand.
    One God, One Truth
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Do they think we're too stupid to know that in the real world they can't wrap everything up neatly in one hour like those dumb CSI episodes?

Yes. And, on average, they're right.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, four years later, it's not gotten any better. This is an entirely unnecessary catchphrase. It's dumb. And it still bugs me.

In a story on the Harvey "gimmeabj" Weinstein situation the NYPD is quoted saying some really redundant ****. 

“We are aware of the sexual assault complaints,” “We are actively investigating them. “The NYPD continues to work with the Manhattan District Attorney’s office on the case,” he added. “The investigation is on-going.”

HE ADDED?!!! WHY?!!

The first three short sentences make it OBVIOUS that the investigation is "ongoing". 
    WHY do they habitually say that? It's just so STOOOOPID. 

The good news is I may be the only one irritated by this catchphrase. 

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll look into it for you.  Until I get back to you, it'll be an ______  ________.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the ongoing investigation about harvey is giving birth to a whole bunch of other ongoing investigations. 
    My personal "ongoing investigation" by Synchrony Bank and the hacking of my CC is, according to 2 VOIP calls still an ongoing investigation. But, the same robots said that the ongoing investigation will be complete in 2 weeks.
    The Vegas Police will probably come in 2nd place for the length of an ongoing investigations and the Clinton's would be in 1st place for ongoing investigations. We will probably never know the truth about either ongoing investigation.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    It looks like the ongoing investigation about harvey is giving birth to a whole bunch of other ongoing investigations. 
    My personal "ongoing investigation" by Synchrony Bank and the hacking of my CC is, according to 2 VOIP calls still an ongoing investigation. But, the same robots said that the ongoing investigation will be complete in 2 weeks.
    The Vegas Police will probably come in 2nd place for the length of an ongoing investigations and the Clinton's would be in 1st place for ongoing investigations. We will probably never know the truth about either ongoing investigation.

Well the investigation is "ongoing" after all.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Bob, our people have this question under scrutiny right now and if this scrutinization should yield negative, then I feel we should maximize our efforts
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    The Government, whether it be local, state or federal feel they do not "owe" you an answer even though they feel you "owe"them money visa vie taxes. So to tell you its an ongoing investigation is their way of telling you to F off and die. But politely of course. You can always open an investigation under the freedom of information act and if you are lucky you might get a response. But don't hold your breath. 
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    ^^^^

Touche'.