Home General Discussion

The Coolidor Is Seasoning!

TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
I finished planing the taper down so all drawers and shelfs fit properly. Sanded everything with 220 grit. Just finished wiping everything down with new sponge and distilled water. Each drawer has 6 Boveda packs in them, put 3 on each shelf, think there's 22 total. Boveda's are all 72RH for seasoning. Forgot to mention I put a small seal around the lid now door, is air tight for sure. Now to wait, then move the hoard in!

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.

Comments

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that since cooler is airtight when closed, once the Boveda is in place and lid closed, no seasoning is needed.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    I was under the impression that since cooler is airtight when closed, once the Boveda is in place and lid closed, no seasoning is needed.
    He just got the drawers. 
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the kiln dried Spanish cedar is new and is thirsty for moisture. Glad I recharged over a brick of the Boveda 72's, should work out great.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is cool.
    Where did you get the drawers and shelves?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Planning on sprucing up the appearance at all? I've seen some guys build a whole box for their coolers...been thinking about "pimping" mine.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    @0patience, Got them made to order from Wineadors.com, hoping the whole hoard will fit in there, it's gonna be close. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TX98Z28
    Thanks!
    Not terrible prices on stuff and a lot of ideas from there.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    @Markwell, No plans at all, I'm leaving it looking redneck as hell LOL!
    Bob_Luken said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    @Markwell, No plans at all, I'm leaving it looking redneck as hell LOL!
    I disagree. Not trying to pick a fight over it but,... yours will be far from "redneck". Yours looks pretty dang sporty to me. Redneck wouldn't have any custom cedar drawers or shelves or any cedar except in the form of cigar boxes. Redneck would have probably had a previous life as a fishing cooler. Maybe even have some stubborn blood stains left over. Now THAT would be redneck. 
    I appreciate the compliment on it looking sporty. I do not think the outside looks sporty though. Keep in mind I'm going from a stainless steel wineador to a big white 150qt. marine cooler standing up on it's side…People in Texas would call this "redneck" doesn't help I have a shotgun laying up against the wall 5 feet from it either. There is no way in hell I'd put this in the living room, it would make an interesting conversation piece…throw most for a doozy! 
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice. Good work. 

I got my drawers for my winedor from forest. Good stuff, just takes forever!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

@matkn293, Thank you I appreciate the compliment. Forrest is slow, I paid to rush and had sent a lot of emails, having my first order get damaged, the drawers, shelfs, didn't fit didn't help either. The second order took 3-4 weeks to get and he built it with the taper to large reason I to plane down the taper to fit. 

Really wanted another Wineador for overall cosmetic appearance and tempature control, just sick of the thermoelectric units going out!
    My neighbor is interested in a coolidor after seeing mine, he has 2 murdered out wineadors but has same problem as his thermoelectric units keep failing. I don't think it would go so well with the wife having 2 marine coolers in his formal dining room... I'm going to mention to him to just buy an Aristocrat cabinet humidor and be done with it, he can afford it.
    Update, Checked the RH after 14days and was at 73%RH. Took all Boveda packs out and rechecked in an hour, RH went to 71%. I decided it was seasoned enough.

Spent 12 hours moving everything in. Everything moved in has been at 62-69%RH, had a lot of different bags/tubs with different packs in them and such from different companies/people.

Have added 2lbs. 65% Heartfelt beads divided into 4 of their draw string bags. Also put about 40 Boveda 65% packs in there.  B)

This morning RH was at 63% top and bottom of coolidor. Should be to 65% in a day or so with as much beads and Boveda in there.

I can't believe everything fit! Theirs some room to spare but it is packed!!! Will post some pics after it stabilizes fully.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the info.  I am starting to think I may need to expand, yours looks great
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    @Diver43, Thank you for the compliment, and your more than welcome for all the info! I wanted to share as much as possible. I'm very impressed so far with how it turned out.
  • KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TX98Z28 said:
    I finished planing the taper down so all drawers and shelfs fit properly. Sanded everything with 220 grit. Just finished wiping everything down with new sponge and distilled water. Each drawer has 6 Boveda packs in them, put 3 on each shelf, think there's 22 total. Boveda's are all 72RH for seasoning. Forgot to mention I put a small seal around the lid now door, is air tight for sure. Now to wait, then move the hoard in!

That’s cool!  Any updated pics of it? 
    TX98Z28 said:

That’s cool!  Any updated pics of it? 
    It’s now full and have a second one also. Other than that nothing’s really changed to update as far as the setup goes.
    @TX98Z28 when you had the shelves and trays made did you just tell them what you purchased or had to give them exact measurements?  
    @TX98Z28 when you had the shelves and trays made did you just tell them what you purchased or had to give them exact measurements?  
    I gave him measurements and told him what I wanted for my cooler. He builds for what you give him, all the coolers are off somewhat, none are exactly the same. I had to send another cooler back to Coleman because it was crazy off and defective(lid had air gaps).
    TX98Z28 said:
    I gave him measurements and told him what I wanted for my cooler. He builds for what you give him, all the coolers are off somewhat, none are exactly the same. I had to send another cooler back to Coleman because it was crazy off and defective(lid had air gaps).
    Thanks that is good to know!  Still trying to figure out which route to go. :smiley:
    edited March 2019
    @KenpoKnight I'll snap ya some pics of my setups here when the 2nd Coolidor is done seasoning in a week or so. I was just using the second cooler for storage but I finally got 2 extra Spanish cedar selfs I had made planed to fit it today, this was the long term goal just takes time to make everything fit properly/nicely and have to zip lock ALL cigars with Boveda during the build. Gonna throw a lot of empty boxes in to re season those. Then be shufflin a lot of gars around both Coolidor's, CC's moved together, etc. Most boxes in new setup. Everything at 65%RH 65-75*F (Winter/Summer). The Spanish cedar is a complete PITA to make perfectly fit but its worth it every time I open the door and the aroma blasts the chrome dome lol 
    @TX98Z28 thanks that would be great. I agree on the aroma!
  • CigarsonistCigarsonist Posts: 267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did you use for a seal?
    House window weather stripping. It’s just an additional seal, I wasn’t happy with the coolers ability to fully seal so this makes it truly air tight if it’s not from the factory. They are making the coolers cheaper and cheaper had to send one back months ago.

Second Coolidor is seasoning as of Monday...Just took forever to get to it. Got 20+ 72RH Bovedas in there, threw some empty boxes I had in the closet to re season them as well. Got hundreds of cigars in ziplocks with Bovedas ready to go in when done seasoning.

Should have just bought a fvcking cabinet to being with... but never thought or knew the CAS would get so out of control. Gonna be close to needing a 3rd cooler soon. 
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an observation, if you use it the other way with nothing in it, you can fit way more in it.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just a thought, coolers dont need to be seasoned as they are plastic and wont absorb water or humidity. Now if you lined it with cedar i could see it.  
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

@Patrickbrick I agree, plus already got it all so using it. The drawers are nice for singles but not necessary.
    @Usaf06 Mines got a lot of Spanish cedar in their that’s why I’m seasoning it.