Home General Discussion

Box purchase suggestion - child

Sirs,

I've been to busy to forum much but a while back when I was more involved I saw a person's genius idea to buy a box for a child's birth then smoke and write them letters on subsequent birthday.

Can anybody link me to that post? I searched baby, child, and box in various orders with no luck...

Comments

• thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    I bought a box of Las Calaveras 2014 when my son was born, but I don't write letters.  I probable should start. It's only his 3rd birthday coming up!
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never seen that post.  Sorry
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen it mentioned a few times, and I know a couple guys that did it. Make it something good. You'll be smoking it for the next 18 years. Not the time to skimp.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • HrycajHrycaj Posts: 62 ✭✭
    I hear ya wylaff. I won't need the box till February so I'm trying to narrow things down in advance to save up and sample

I have been using two coolerdoors since almost the beginning and have been happy with the sticks that have been stored even over two years. 

Any rules of thumb for varietys or leaf families to pick in preparation for really long term storage or any other factors to consider when doing the actual long term storing?

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hrycaj said:
    Sirs,

I've been to busy to forum much but a while back when I was more involved I saw a person's genius idea to buy a box for a child's birth then smoke and write them letters on subsequent birthday.

Can anybody link me to that post? I searched baby, child, and box in various orders with no luck...
    Here you go:

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/285957/which-box-of-tats
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Hoping for clarification still
    Hrycaj said:

Any rules of thumb for varietys or leaf families to pick in preparation for really long term storage or any other factors to consider when doing the actual long term storing? (I use a coolidor)

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the link from yak, it says 2009 tatuaje la veritas are blended for aging
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion pick a Nicaragua something or other.  They age well.  I can tell you what mine is but it won't do you any good, it's long gone.  Pretty sure that's how most of ours are, a limited release of something special, for a special yearly occasion.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a pretty neat idea,
    Smoke one a year on his/her Birthday and at 18 have one together
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A neighbor makes a Video on his kids birthday. They all go into a very futuristic looking space ship with the number 18 on it. I always thought you guys who come up with these kinds of ideas are pretty near genius.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hrycaj, Look into Padron heard it ages well, still 18 years is going to take a seriously strong full bodied cigar to start with. I think Padron could give you 18 years with the right blend. Also look into the longer sizes.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I have heard the Padron are known to be ready to smoke right away, not requiring aging, but I don't know how well they age, they're kind of mild, I hear. Haven't smoked that many myself. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Yakster, More so true with the Family Reserve stuff as some of that tobacco is aged 8-10 years before rolling. The Padron Classic line cigars are not mild by any means and should age very well, heard the 1964 Anniversary Maduros age well also.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, Nicaragua tobaccos age well.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Schweet. Thank you guys for the tips!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I’d have done that when my grandson was born. Guess it’s not to late he’s only 3. Maybe a box of MF La Bijou 22 robusto. 
    When my son was born Rick @RCY_Cigars sent me a box of My Father No. 4 Lanceros that I have one of every year on my sons birthday. They age magnificently and it’s still one of my fav cigars. They have been aging magnificently and the name is a perfect fit anyways. 

Brett
    MF is one of the best cigars for aging IMO. 
    Yakster said:
    I have heard the Padron are known to be ready to smoke right away, not requiring aging, but I don't know how well they age, they're kind of mild, I hear. Haven't smoked that many myself. 
    They age spectacularly. At least the regular line. The anniversary’s in my book you don’t want to put more than a few years on them. 
    Oh and congratulations brother. I miss them days. 
    @Rhamlin thank you sir, it's our first so lots of learning to do