Home General Discussion

Status Update

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in General Discussion

Just to let everyone know, this oldfart and his child bride have moved. Our old address is no longer any good. 

And before we get too far along, let me just clarify - this is definitely NOT a case of dry-begging or even reverse dry-begging. My humidor is full. I have no more room. Capisce? 

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don’t let it get out, Pete. 

And whats wrong with this silly forum, now??  Is there suddenly a limit to how long a post can be?   I tried about four or five times to post the full draft of what you see above but it only allows me to post the first two paragraphs!!  WTF??
    I’ll try again. 

Just to let everyone know, this oldfart and his child bride have moved. Our old address is no longer any good. 

And before we get too far along, let me just clarify - this is definitely NOT a case of dry-begging or even reverse dry-begging. My humidor is full. I have no more room. Capisce? 

Nope. Still just two paragraphs. I give up!!!!
    Let’s try the next paragraph:

Our reason for moving is that our age and health finally caught up to us. Barb is experiencing some early-stage dementia. Right now our doctor is calling it ‘mild cognitive decline’ but we all know what that means. And I no longer have the stamina to stand in front of the stove (any more than I can in front of my lathe) to cook our meals. Our cleaning lady took care of her part but she’s human, too and can’t do it all. 

One paragraph at a time, folks:

So, we let ourselves get talked into moving into an assisted living facility. The one we chose is pretty nice and it’s the only one in town that allows pets so we can keep Princess Fuzzbutt, aka Muffin. It’s nice but it’s not home. We sold our home of 24 years, had an estate sale, took a deep breath, and moved. It’s okay. We’re adjusting. 

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck and well wishes Marty
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Thankya, kind sir. Here’s some more:

But I wanted to let everyone know so there wouldn’t be a lot of questions regarding my non-participation in the holiday festivities here on this hallowed forum. 

Previous years have been a lot of fun, generosity, and camaraderie, but this year I’ll have to excuse myself from the jollities. I know you’ll all understand. 

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty, it was a great pleasure spending some time with you and your child bride a couple of Octobers ago.  Oh yea and Jasper too.  I am sorry you had to sell your beautiful home, I wish you two the best and hope that all works out in the end.  from what you posted, thoughts will be with you my friend.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish you the best of luck Marty and I’m sorry you guys had to sell but completely understand the reasons. Stay in touch and it was such a pleasure and honor meeting you and your lovely child bride!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck Marty! When my grandparents moved to an assisted living apartment, very quickly my Nana started up a weekly card game (she taught us all how to play Blackjack when we were very young!, lol). They actually loved it there, they had more of a social life than they had had in years. I hope you and your wife have the same experience :) Happy holidays!! 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the best to you and your wife, Marty. 
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope you and your child bride enjoy. Best wishes Marty
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing that with us.  I'd kind of noticed you'd not been around as much.  Hope things go well for you in your new digs.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck to and your child bride. I enjoyed the Herfs at your house and your generous hospitality. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Thank you all for your kind wishes. You guys and gals are the best. 

I hope Santa brings each of you just what you want for Christmas. All except for Peter @peter4jc. He’s a bully, I’m told, so maybe a lump of coal for him?  (Just kidding, Peter...   :#)
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas Marty, hope they can situate you with a pleasantly appointed smoking patio.
    Cheers
    A little dirt never hurt
    dirtdude said:
    Merry Christmas Marty, hope they can situate you with a pleasantly appointed smoking patio.
    Cheers
    I’m told that smoking of any kind is prohibited anywhere on the property. I’ve been driving to the nearby Moose Lodge where I’m a member and utilizing their smoking lounge. Unfortunately, I have to pay our caregiver (our private one) to sit with Barb while I do this. 

Lately, I’ve learned that one of the female tenants at our facility goes out daily and has a cigarette three times a day near the back edge of the property. Of course, I’d have to wait for good weather to enjoy a cigar that way. We’ll see how this develops. I’d rather not pay a couple hours wages each time I want a cigar but one does what one must, doesn’t one??
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Marty Just saw the post. Wishing you and your wife a Very Merry Christmas!
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you Marty. Hope that you find peace in the move and it works out for the better for you. Aaaaand you find a place to get a smoke in. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    dirtdude said:
    Cheers
    I’m told that smoking of any kind is prohibited anywhere on the property. I’ve been driving to the nearby Moose Lodge where I’m a member and utilizing their smoking lounge. Unfortunately, I have to pay our caregiver (our private one) to sit with Barb while I do this. 

Lately, I’ve learned that one of the female tenants at our facility goes out daily and has a cigarette three times a day near the back edge of the property. Of course, I’d have to wait for good weather to enjoy a cigar that way. We’ll see how this develops. I’d rather not pay a couple hours wages each time I want a cigar but one does what one must, doesn’t one??
    Yes, emotional health is just as important as physical well-being. If we had your address we could bomb you with private caregiver funds (you already have the cigars)....
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best to you and your wife Marty hope everything goes well for the both of you.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    dirtdude said:
    Cheers

Yes, emotional health is just as important as physical well-being. If we had your address we could bomb you with private caregiver funds (you already have the cigars)....
    Hes Right You Know
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    @peter4jc
    @silvermouse

You guys have a good point. I appreciate the thought but handouts aren’t in my game plan. Instead, I plan to try shaming my oblivious, self-centered stepson into spending a couple hours per week with his mother, thereby allowing me time to grab an occasional smoke. 

Now that he and and his brother have the old fogies safely esconced in assisted living he probably thinks he’s home Free. His brother is far more thoughtful but he lives in Kansas City. He’d be of no help to my plan. 
  • YournamehereYournamehere Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    Marty I wish you and yours the best of luck! A few couples this year have gone into assisted living places and they say they are very happy. It’s a big change but I’m sure it’s for the better. 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I hope you have good luck with the stepson. But remember, if that plan doesn't work out or is just too much of a hassle, that the handout would be to your caregiver  :)
    Marty I wish you and yours the best of luck! A few couples this year have gone into assisted living places and they say they are very happy. It’s a big change but I’m sure it’s for the better. 
    Thank you for the kind wishes. I’m sure you’re right and it’ll be better for us later on. Right now, it’s all about adjusting but I’m getting the hang of it.... I think....
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty, I only talked to you that one night when you told me about you and Barbara. It was such a pleasure to meet you and I wish you and Barbara nothing but the best. Hope you find a warm place nearby to smoke a stick. Merry Christmas
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
    @Sleddog46

Thanks for the good wishes, Doug. As a matter of fact, since the last time I posted about a place and time to smoke, things have improved a bit. My stepson agreed to try to spell me for a few hours once a week which will give me time to slip away for a cigar. 

I’m still researching the outdoor location here at the facility but, as before, in bad weather I’ll just drive over to the Moose Lodge and utilize their smoking quarters. And, for a while at least, I’ll try to keep our caregiver on the payroll for enough time to allow me a second smoke each week. She’s been a good worker and a friend to Barb so I don’t want to just let her go - at least until she finds other work. 

I