Home Cigar 101

Nubs

bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
I had my first Nub last night, the Habano 460, and the experience was disappointing to say the least. I couldn't keep the wrapper lit without quite a bit of effort and this effort resulted in a very hot smoke. I tried changing my pace throughout the smoke but couldn't find the groove.

It has over a month of rest in my humi and all other smokes have been going well. I cut as little as I could with a double blade guillotine cutter, the only cutter I have, and the draw was extremely loose. I'm wondering if the loose draw was the culprit.

Any advice???

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I have had several nubs and have never had this happen. The Habano is my favorite. I love that one. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
  • I had the same experience with my first Nub , but it was the Cameroon. Very annoying.
  • bigharpoon:
    I had my first Nub last night, the Habano 460, and the experience was disappointing to say the least. I couldn't keep the wrapper lit without quite a bit of effort and this effort resulted in a very hot smoke. I tried changing my pace throughout the smoke but couldn't find the groove.

It has over a month of rest in my humi and all other smokes have been going well. I cut as little as I could with a double blade guillotine cutter, the only cutter I have, and the draw was extremely loose. I'm wondering if the loose draw was the culprit.

Any advice???
    I had the EXACT same experience cept I had the torpedo. Maddy was different but i'm gonna revisit the habano later.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    I am perplexed. I have never had a bad experience with a Nub. I have smoked most of the different varieties too.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I've never had any trouble with NUB... weird.
    Try a couple more for consistency sake.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Me neither, I have probably had somewhere in area of 10 nubs in all the blends and shapes and they have been perfect everytime. Now, I think 7 of them have been from a B&M and smoked immediately because they are what I get when I want a short simple good smoke, so that may be a factor, but I certainly would try at least one more before you judge them.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Maybe you had a bad match. :) - I've got quite a few nubs on hand, they've all burned well.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Echoing most everyone else, I've never had a bad experience with a NUB. Smoked probably 10 or so over the last year or two and loved them. Try the Connecticut - the best of them, in my humble opinion, and I typically am bored by Connys.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    I've had a few nubs and actually have 12 more sitting in the humidor. I've had all good experience thus far. The Habano kicked my a s s on New Years day though, smoked it without eating a good meal prior. I had it at a B & M so it may have been the other cigars as well and not the nub. I really like them.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Same here. I have tried each Nub variation and never a problem,,,that I can recall, They always lend a good experience..I love the Habano and Maduro. Don't give up on them try another and see how it goes...these are typically good cigars.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I've had a few cigars where this very scenario happened. It sounds like it's quite the combination of variables rather than one sure fire answer. HERE are SOME threads from days of long long ago. Maybe they will help, maybe not. They helped me, so I offer them to you.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    My first NUB experience turned me off a bit, as well. I'm gonna give it another go for the sake of the excellent reviews I've read.

I just noticed that C.com gave the NUB Maduro highest honors in the Maduro category. It beat out the La Harencia Cubano Oscuro Fuerte, which in my opinion, is a much better cigar. Oh well, I guess it all boils down to personal opinion.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    lilwing you have a PM
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    only problem i ever had with nubs was the one i had that had a red nylon string protruding from it ...and the Oliva's took very good care of me for that one ! Some of you old timers might remember that deal !!!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That was a pretty sweet deal Gene. Makes me remember the Nub Tampon joke, haha.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    only problem i ever had with nubs was the one i had that had a red nylon string protruding from it ...and the Oliva's took very good care of me for that one ! Some of you old timers might remember that deal !!!
    I do remember that one Geno, Didn't you get hooked up with a couple boxes that time ?
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    JZ:
    I've had a few nubs and actually have 12 more sitting in the humidor. I've had all good experience thus far. The Habano kicked my a s s on New Years day though, smoked it without eating a good meal prior. I had it at a B & M so it may have been the other cigars as well and not the nub. I really like them.
    The exact same thing happened to me. I grabbed a Habano thinking it would be a good Wednesday night smoke and and kicked my butt. I was puffin away for about an hour then I stood up and almost went down. I hadn't eaten and wasn't really thinking. that was the first (and only time so far) time that happened to me... luckily I was alone so no one else knows about it...
    robbyras:
    JZ:
    The exact same thing happened to me. I grabbed a Habano thinking it would be a good Wednesday night smoke and and kicked my butt. I was puffin away for about an hour then I stood up and almost went down. I hadn't eaten and wasn't really thinking. that was the first (and only time so far) time that happened to me... luckily I was alone so no one else knows about it...
    ... except for 6700 of your closest friends.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    kaspera79:
    robbyras:
    JZ:
    ... except for 6700 of your closest friends.
    ha! this is true...it would have been more embarrassing if all of you were in my yard with me... never woulds lived that one down
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:
    I do remember that one Geno, Didn't you get hooked up with a couple boxes that time ?

Naw man that was on the RP bitter wafe when I bought two boxes and they were both bitter as crap! Steve Saka , RP President hooked me up with 3 boxes , 2 boxes of Java , a toro and robusto size and a box of Tabak Especial !, a way too cool crystal ashtray, and a Hat . The Oliva's hooked me up with some free Nubs, a Nub ashtray , a Nub cutter and a Nub match holder , all in all way over the top for a bum cigar. And yeah the RP deal was way way over the top !!!
    Now that you bring it up, I do remember. Two good hook-ups for sure.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I didnt hear that story, Im interested in it!

I'd say that I have smoked about 2-3 boxes of nubs over the last two years and I have only had minimal burn issues with 1-2 of these cigars, but not problematic like you state.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I had a maduro the other day, and I am sold on them. I Just need to order a box or two... lol
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:

Naw man that was on the RP bitter wafe when I bought two boxes and they were both bitter as crap! Steve Saka , RP President hooked me up with 3 boxes , 2 boxes of Java , a toro and robusto size and a box of Tabak Especial !, a way too cool crystal ashtray, and a Hat . The Oliva's hooked me up with some free Nubs, a Nub ashtray , a Nub cutter and a Nub match holder , all in all way over the top for a bum cigar. And yeah the RP deal was way way over the top !!!
    could you post a pic of that ashtray? way cool though. I didn't know you got that much stuff. Some might say your a bad customer, or a pain in the "A" customer... lol Sticking strings in cigars and stuff.....
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    phobicsquirrel:
    I had a maduro the other day, and I am sold on them. I Just need to order a box or two... lol
    I need to revisit the Maduro. I really didn't like the first one I had - and I love Nubs and I love Maduros. lol.
    phobicsquirrel:
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:

could you post a pic of that ashtray? way cool though. I didn't know you got that much stuff. Some might say your a bad customer, or a pain in the "A" customer... lol Sticking strings in cigars and stuff.....

I'll try to do that next week Pheebs ...I'm a lucky customer is what I am . RP and Oliva's customer service is really good. In neither case did I ask for anything and I didn't even contact RP , they picked up my trouble with the wafe's on THIS site ...just goes to show ya never know who's reading this stuff !!!
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Yeah I agree, it had to be the match. (good one Edge.) Try another, Nub for me has always been a very good stik...if my memory serves me well...
  • sweetjdsweetjd Posts: 39
    I just bought myself a couple of nubs, I'm kinda excited to get them. I don't know how long I can let them rest.. trying to be patient.. so I've been buying two of everything, smoke one and let the other one age.. oh did buy some Vegas triple A, I hope there good, as everyone says they are ..
  • I've never had an issue with any Oliva cigars. Their construction has always been top notch.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I finally got around to trying another one of these fat little monsters and I'm sooooooo glad I did!

It wasn't the easiest smoke in the world, I had to touch up the wrapper several times throughout the smoke (it just wouldn't keep pace with the filler) but the flavor, man, was it good...really good...well worth the effort. The draw was like breathing air, no resistance at all. I think I'm going to hold off on my others until I get a punch cutter and try that.

Thank you all for your stories and encouragement to try more nubs, I'm psyched! If I can figure out how to smoke these things with a little less effort I could imagine them climbing up the ranks of my favorite smoke list.