Home Non Cigar Related

Hate selling cars

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Momma got this new car, so our youngest son ended up with her Santa Fe.
So now we are trying to sell his Toyota 4 Runner and we put it up for sale.
I get these people who give me the, "Will you take $500 for it?"
Uhm, if I'd have taken $500 for it, I'd have traded it in and got that.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past I always inform interested people the price is firm before going into any details that way they no not to waste time trying to bargain the price down. Other wise you get everyone contacting you trying to play let’s make a deal...

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    NorCalR1 said:
    In the past I always inform interested people the price is firm before going into any details that way they no not to waste time trying to bargain the price down. Other wise you get everyone contacting you trying to play let’s make a deal...
    Yeah and you get the ones, "What's the lowest price you'll go?"
    Told one guy, What is the best you'll go.
    He replied, "That's not how I work."
    I replied, Well, that's not how I work. 

I put a price, I'm open to reasonable offers, but why do people think they can insult you?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony, will you take $250. for it? LOL
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $525...FINAL OFFER.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $525.01
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate selling anything. We had a garage sell last summer and I had a bunch of books listed for fifty cents each. One guy asked if I'd take twenty-five cents. I said "no." and he said something like "well you just lost a sell" and stormed off. OVER TWENTY FIVE **** CENTS.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We put my wife's '96 Sportster up for sale in about '04, 23k miles, amenities, nice bike, asked $5,000 which it was absolutely worth and then some.  Had people calling offering $500 - $1500, then getting rude when told "No, this is not a junk bike."  

some people! :/
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    We put my wife's '96 Sportster up for sale in about '04, 23k miles, amenities, nice bike, asked $5,000 which it was absolutely worth and then some.  Had people calling offering $500 - $1500, then getting rude when told "No, this is not a junk bike."  

some people! :/
    When I sold my bike, it had 3,000 miles on it.
    This guy comes and looks at it and tells me it has all these things wrong with it and it was only worth $1500 and I'll never get more than that for it.

Ok, we're done. CYA!
    I took the key out and went back in the house, while he stood there confused.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been in sales my entire adult life, was an asm at a dealership too atone point.  I love buying cars, they don't like me though.  I can usually get more for a trade in than what's it worth.  I would hate to deal with the douch public.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The ole "Will you take….for it". Rules of selling 101, always ask higher than you expected to get. Put FIRM by the price, serious potential buyers will either buy it at the listed price or make you an offer of or close to what you originally expected in the first place. Works great!

I've sold A LOT of random stuff over the years mainly on Craig's List. The low ball people don't even waste your time texting or calling them back…    
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did indoor craft shows for over thirty years. I tried to average $1000 a day with the first days sales taking care of expenses, booth fee, milage, hotel,food, lost studio time,etc. Always had people trying to talk me down on my prices. My favorite thing to do was superglue a quarter to the floor in front of my booth. I liked to watch folks try to pick it up.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I worked for my dad as a kid at a radio repair shop/warehouse and one of the guys did the quarter trick.  He was upset when I kicked it loose and pocketed it.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    So I get a message from someone on this little 4 runner we have.
    They asked how low I'd go on it.
    I told them.
    They said ok.
    So I thought, well, might as well see how close they are.

So I asked how close they were on the money.
    They said $800.
    Ok, thought I would check.

Then I get this....."Hint, why I said ok thank you."
    So I replied, Hint. Maybe I'm a nice person and would go to $800, but since you were a smart a$$, that ain't gonna happen.
    Good day.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't sold a vehicle in a good 15 years...I've given some away to people I know needs something but can't afford one. The few I've sold over the years, I've never seem to have much of a problem......But that was pre Craigslist days.  
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigar-20069599 said:...I've given some away to people I know needs something but can't afford one....
    that's what I do, costs a bit of $ but saves a lot of trouble
    I've come to the conclusion that I should not sell anything to anyone.

Had someone come look at a vehicle we are selling.
    They asked what the lowest I would go. 
    I said, $1100. It's a POS, but it runs and drives.
    The guy says he can't go $1100. 
    So I walked away and went in the house.

A couple minutes later, he knocks at the door and when I answered the door, he says, we weren't done.

Yes, we were. You asked the lowest I would go. I told you. You then said you can't go that price, so any further negotiation is useless. We're at a stale mate and that's a waste of my time. Bye.

My son tells me that it's the way you negotiate. 
    Oh? Usually when someone sets the lowest they will go, I assume that is their bottom line and either buy or don't buy. But that's just me, I guess.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    One of my brothers had a used car lot for a number of years. I used to work with him now and then selling cars. 

One of the things I learned about negotiating is that the first guy to mention a number generally loses. You already know what the least you’ll accept is, but the buyer doesn’t. That gives you the advantage. 

I dont know how it is in other states but in California a verbal contract is binding. An offer made and accepted is a contract and is enforceable - necessary sales paperwork notwithstanding. 

An unacceptable offer can be rejected or you can make a counter offer which, in effect, rejects the unacceptable offer. 

So, if the guy says “will you take $$$ (unacceptable)” you can simply say “no, but I’ll take $$$$$ (still higher than your least)” and just keep jockeying like that until you land on a price you can both live with. Just try to get the buyer to mention his number first. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran into this selling my '68 C-10 when I transferred to Germany.  I'd put an ad in the paper for $1,000, knowing that people would try to talk it down, I needed $750 minimum.  This guy called, asked "the question", I said $750, he asks "will you take 500?".  

"No, I just told you, $750, which I would have put in the paper, except that I knew that most people are not like me, they don't say what they mean.  If you'd like, you're welcome to come look at it, and if you have $750, or $1,000, you get a truck."

He did come, looked at the truck, and said "Wow, this truck really is worth what you're asking."

"No, it's worth more, but I need to sell it fast, or get it ready for long term storage until I get back."

He was happy to buy the truck.  I wished I'd stored it until I got back.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to shut a lowballer up by asking him if he was offering me that amount and explaining how an ‘offer/counter-offer ‘ worked and that if I accepted his offer he was then contractually bound to buy the vehicle. Of course, I had no intention of accepting his lowball offer but it lent some authority to what I was saying and the buyer was more than likely not even close to knowing whether he wanted to buy it because he hadn’t yet driven it or checked it out. 

Mostly, they were just smartas ses trying to impress me......
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had pretty good luck with Craig's list.  I've sold two cars on there and got what I asked.  I listed both cars at a little below Blue Book and had several calls on each.

The first guy tried to get a better price,  but I told him I had another buyer coming and he will pay full price.  If you want it, let me know and I'll call him off.

Sold both cars to the first people who looked at them.