Home Non Cigar Related

Did you have the FM radio option?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Most you younger guys won't get that, but those older guys will understand.
If you notice in the commercial, he talks about what the vehicle has and makes note of having AM radio. LOL!

And yes, TV really did look like that. 

https://youtu.be/q5JJQwtN7UM

https://youtu.be/LG6Hp6NwOsQ

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I'll take the El Camino please :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Polyester head to toe and those white shoes! Stylin! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    WaterNerd said:
    I'll take the El Camino please :)
    The El Camino "pickup"?
    I chuckled when I heard that. Haven't heard that in a long time.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 79 chevette... not quick

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

I had a 79 chevette... not quick

The shove it Chevette?
    I can't believe you would say it wasn't quick. ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Didn't they all come with a Neil Diamond 8-Track or something?

Nowadays it's about having the FM radio option in your cell phone.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Younger guy here my 1964 Impala still has the original AM only radio in it ( still works)

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

I think 79 was the first year I remember FM being standard in anything.
    Our town didn't get an FM station until 79 or 80, so FM was kind of useless to us, unless you went to the big city. 

In high school, we would scour the wrecking/salvage yards looking for FM or cassette stereos. At that time, cassette stereos were several hundred dollars and if we could find one in a salvage yard, we could gather up a pile of parts, work it off and get the stereo for free. 
    Cruisers with cassette stereos, we were stylin. LOL!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    I've heard tell of cruisers with turntables back in the day

• jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    "Back in the day", I drove a Lime Green RoadRunner ,it had a 383 bored out to 400ci. By my mechanic dad. 4 Speed and a 8 track. The 8track was stolen from the car while I was at work in the Packing Co. I was a Cattle ****. Yes, I said CATTLE ****! Used to listen to Carol King,Black Saboth,Doors,Slade,etc.  It's time for my medication now. 
    edited January 2018
    Wow! They bleeped out what I said. My job was t take the bones out of cuts of meat. 
    Or a Cattle deboner. The real job title did not include De.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I've heard tell of cruisers with turntables back in the day
    My grandpop's 58 T-Bird and 59 DeSoto Adventurer both had turntables.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    Wow,haven't heard Desoto in a while. We had a pair of 55s when I was little. No turntables though. 
    Now that Neil Diamond has retired, those 8-Tracks should really be worth something.

Don't tell anyone you have Neil Diamond tapes. They might rob ya!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NorCalR1 said:
    Younger guy here my 1964 Impala still has the original AM only radio in it ( still works)

I loved my '64 Impala...283 with PowerGlide.  Sigh..
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NorCalR1 said:

I loved my '64 Impala...283 with PowerGlide.  Sigh..
    It was my first car had it for 25 years now. Numbers matching 327 with the glide.... She is in the body shop now for a full resto l am looking forward to driving her again

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

jw517 said:
    Wow,haven't heard Desoto in a while. We had a pair of 55s when I was little. No turntables though. 
    I really wish he'd kept that car. Bought it brand new off the showroom floor with all the bell and whistles. She was white with gold accents and a spiffy continental kit.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    LOL! My first vehicle was a 1943 Dodge pickup. I paid $50 for it. 
    It had a flathead 6 and a pedal starter. It was capable of doing a whopping 50 mph. 60 downhill.
    Never owned another Dodge again.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    edited January 2018
    @0patience lol well that's sorta why he got rid of it. Found out it had a German carburetor or something, and seeing how a Hun sorta blew off his father's hand in WWI, that didn't sit well. 

Still, pretty car.

Pretty sure that thing had a push button transmission. Called power glide or power flight. Wasn't 1956 the first year for that? Seem to think Chrysler was the first to offer it.
    edited January 2018
    Dodge had that stupid push button into the 60s. The Belvedere, Dart and a couple other had it. 
    It's amazing that you could push the reverse button at 60 and all kinds of smoke would happen. LOL!
    Power-flight and torque flight transmissions both had that option.
    The first Dodge production car to have it was 1956, but there are a few 55 Desotos and Imperials that have them. I assume that they were late 55 productions. 

I know about the 55 Desoto, cause I cut holes in the firewall of one to replace rotten cylinder head soft plugs. In those days, your options were to pull the heads, pull the motor or use a homes as on the firewall to replace the soft plugs.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience said:
    LOL! My first vehicle was a 1943 Dodge pickup. I paid $50 for it. 
    It had a flathead 6 and a pedal starter. It was capable of doing a whopping 50 mph. 60 downhill.
    Never owned another Dodge again.
    Your still alive,that's why.
    The 55 Desotos we had 292 Hemmis in them if I remember correctly. My grandpas Plymouth had a push button transmission .
    Damn phone. I wrote use a holesaw and it decided that the correct word was use a home.
    Evidently it knows more about the topic than we do.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My late brother owned a 1967 Plymouth STATION WAGON and he ordered it with two four barrel carbs with Ram induction!  He left a lot of startled drivers at stop lights.

The only problem was that when he stopped at a gas station, if he didn't turn the car off, he couldn't fill the tank!