Home Cigar 101

humidity beads

what is the difference between using distilled water and the humidity beads? are there any benefits to either one or any draw backs? i am a little new to cigars and am looking for a more consistent way to keep my cigars fresh.

Comments

• nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    skuzzlebutt86:
    what is the difference between using distilled water and the humidity beads? are there any benefits to either one or any draw backs? i am a little new to cigars and am looking for a more consistent way to keep my cigars fresh.

Well these are beads

(Click this-->)"Heartfelt Industries"

(Click this-->)"ConservaGel"

Thanks Hays

Distilled water, I don't think, is a very good form of maintaining your humidity level for a long period of time. I think it's great for (Click this-->)Re-Seasoning your humidor and re-charging your beads, and a vast number of other constructive uses.
    Humidity Beads are designed to maintain a relative level (+/- 2-5%) of desired humidity. They work great for me. I actually have both Heartfelt and Conservagel Beads. But you may find that through experimentation and time something else works best for you, like so many on here have. To each his own.

And welcome lad, this here ship is full to the brim and bustin at the seems with diversity and experience from all around the world!!
    Basket weaving monster that has a piece of celary for a hand and Patrick Duffy for a leg

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    nightmaremike31:
    Basket weaving monster that has a piece of celary for a hand and Patrick Duffy for a leg

WTF was that !!!? LMAO
    laker1963:
    nightmaremike31:

WTF was that !!!? LMAO

That good sir, is Skuzzle-Butt. He made a guest appearance on the comic television show South Park: episode 103.

I find that for every intelligent piece of knowledge my brain holds, that I must have an equal or lesser valued piece of knowledge that is absolutely ridiculous.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    skuzzlebutt86:

Well these are beads

(Click this-->)"Heartfelt Industries"

(Click this-->)"ConservaGel"

Thanks Hays

Distilled water, I don't think, is a very good form of maintaining your humidity level for a long period of time. I think it's great for (Click this-->)Re-Seasoning your humidor and re-charging your beads, and a vast number of other constructive uses.
    (You're welcome)

There is no comparison between beads and distilled water. One is a humidification device, the other is used to charge humidification devices. When you have beads, you still (generally, not always) need to charge them with distilled water. Beads are just a far superior alternative to the sponge humidifiers that come with your humi, as they are hygroscopic (both absorb and release humidity to maintain a set relative humidity point).
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    laker1963:
    nightmaremike31:

WTF was that !!!? LMAO

That good sir, is Skuzzle-Butt. He made a guest appearance on the comic television show South Park: episode 103.

I find that for every intelligent piece of knowledge my brain holds, that I must have an equal or lesser valued piece of knowledge that is absolutely ridiculous.
    Right, and the first rule of hunting is Don't spill beer in the bullet chamber.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    nightmaremike31:
    laker1963:
    nightmaremike31:

WTF was that !!!? LMAO

Right, and the first rule of hunting is Don't spill beer in the bullet chamber.
    Oh my god its coming right for us
  • well thank you for all of the input and i will have to get some beads and mess around with what will work.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its Skuzzle Butt ........ he's coming right for us ......... kill him
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    my damn beads are not absorbing enough humidity...... never had something be over humidified.... o well another pound of beads on the way.. 2 pounds of beads better do something
    The Cank:
    my damn beads are not absorbing enough humidity...... never had something be over humidified.... o well another pound of beads on the way.. 2 pounds of beads better do something
    If you put the Distilled water and the beads together in a sealable container of some kind, AND put the container in a room that is not too cold, the evaporated water will go into the beads. T^his may take a few days however.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    laker1963:
    The Cank:
    If you put the Distilled water and the beads together in a sealable container of some kind, AND put the container in a room that is not too cold, the evaporated water will go into the beads. T^his may take a few days however.
    Sweet ! will give it a try
  • now if i had some 70% beads that dried out and i soaked them in solution to half clear, will they still hold the humidity at 70%? or will they vary the humidity more then they are supposed to?
    skuzzlebutt86:
    now if i had some 70% beads that dried out and i soaked them in solution to half clear, will they still hold the humidity at 70%? or will they vary the humidity more then they are supposed to?
    Well... I have 65% beads and if I spray them with a spray bottle full of distilled water, they become as clear as glass so I don't think you need to soak your beads.

Second, I believe it's recommended that you don't use a solution for your beads as it may ruin their ability to perform properly.

Third, I have a little more than 60% of my beads "charged" (clear) and the rest "uncharged" (white) so that if the humidity gets too high, then the white ones will absorb the excess humidity to maintain 65%, and if the humidity gets too low (which is the best part of winter) the charged ones will give off the needed humidity to maintain 65%. This is exactly what beads are designed to do.
    deleted
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    During the dry winter months here, I find I have to charge my 65% rH beads 90-100%. And of course, more often than during the summer. :)
  • ok so i get not to use a solution but distilled water but you didn't answer the question of if 65 % beads dry out and i recharge them will they still maintain 65% rh?
    skuzzlebutt86:
    ok so i get not to use a solution but distilled water but you didn't answer the question of if 65 % beads dry out and i recharge them will they still maintain 65% rh?
    Yes
    laker1963:
    skuzzlebutt86:
    ok so i get not to use a solution but distilled water but you didn't answer the question of if 65 % beads dry out and i recharge them will they still maintain 65% rh?
    Yes
    Yep. A lot guys use a misting spray bottle. Be gentle - they only need a little. When they are clear, they're charged. Depending on your climate, 60-70% of them should be clear at all times. When you notice them geting white again, charge them again and you're good to go.

One suggestion I took from another thread was in my larger humidor, I placed a shallow dish of distilled water next to my beads, and the beads always stay charged. I have a feeling during the summer, they may over charge them and my humidity may get a little crazy, so I'll have to deliberately dry the beads out potentially. We'll see how it goes.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I filled four pill vials and charged them. My humi shot to 74% in two days. I took two of them out.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I just ordered the conservagel beads. 1 lb
    Fourtotheflush:
    They work great Four... I have been using them for several months now in my coolerdor and they work very well.
    laker1963:
    Fourtotheflush:
    They work great Four... I have been using them for several months now in my coolerdor and they work very well.
    The main reason I ordered them is I cannot get my humidity over 62 in the winter. Up here its WINTAH! I dont mind smoking a cigar out of the humi at 62, but its the long term ramifications Im worried about.
    Fourtotheflush:
    laker1963:
    Fourtotheflush:
    The main reason I ordered them is I cannot get my humidity over 62 in the winter. Up here its WINTAH! I dont mind smoking a cigar out of the humi at 62, but its the long term ramifications Im worried about.
    So I take it you got the 70% beads?
    laker1963:
    Fourtotheflush:
    I ordered a pound of these as well for my new humidor. Dude - placed the order at lunch on Tuesday - paid for ground shipping - they were here Wednesday at 10:30am. FedEx is frickin awesome.
    mine are due in mon or tue
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    My appologies for the necropost, but I figured I'd ask my question here instead of starting a new thread about the same thing....

I'm in the process of setting up two "fridgadors" in my basement. They are old mini-fridges that will be used unplugged. The ambient humidity down there stays between 60-70% and the temp at around 70 degrees throughout the summer. I have a digital hygrometer for each, both of which have been salt tested and calibrated. I put one in each fridge and the rH reading is holding right around 80% inside the fridge when closed.

My questions: Should I go with 65% or 70% conservagel beads? Also, would either of them bring the humidity down enough or would I just be fighting a losing battle?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!
    skweekz:
    My appologies for the necropost, but I figured I'd ask my question here instead of starting a new thread about the same thing....

I'm in the process of setting up two "fridgadors" in my basement. They are old mini-fridges that will be used unplugged. The ambient humidity down there stays between 60-70% and the temp at around 70 degrees throughout the summer. I have a digital hygrometer for each, both of which have been salt tested and calibrated. I put one in each fridge and the rH reading is holding right around 80% inside the fridge when closed.

My questions: Should I go with 65% or 70% conservagel beads? Also, would either of them bring the humidity down enough or would I just be fighting a losing battle?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!
    With the way the beads work you should be safe to go with them, as they can absorb excess humidity and then release it later as the humidity drops. They do have limitations but I'm betting if you start with dry beads only and be patient as it won't be fast, but the humidity should start to drop and hold.

I would use at least 2 pounds in each fridge ( but I tend to overdo these things) and as far as the RH of the beads you buy that is something only experimenting will figure out. I would go with the 65% personally because I like my sticks a litle drier, and also if the high humidity is a constant problem, they should have a better ability to hold it down.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    In addition to Laker's suggestions, you can figure out if the beads will work within a day or two by opening the door of the fridge for an hour or two and letting the RH plummet into the 50's or 60's - close the door and wait a day or so. If the RH spikes up and doesn't come back down after a day or two, you may have some water problems in the fridge that are providing too much humidity for the beads to overcome (they're good, but they need time to work - if humidity is being pumped in faster than they can absorb, you've got a problem)