Home Non Cigar Related

Sex and $1400.00

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Non Cigar Related
My stepdaughter found a news article a few years back that talked about unclaimed money, that sits in state coffers collecting interest that the state keeps. I checked a long time ago and there was about $60 from a closed insurance account with my name on it in the State of Va., not a lot. 

Now it is a lot, and I finally found the email of the dept head after weeks of ignored phone messages. I think he was upset, at least he had the forms in my hands in 2 days. Filled them out and sent them back. A little note on the form said it could take 12 weeks. It took 3. And the check was far larger then $60.

Check every state you have lived in and worked and paid bills. Remember to send me a 25% finders fee.

Oh yea. Go to your state.gov and search for it. I am fairly sure they all have a listing and let's face it, they ain't gonna look for you to return the money.

Why was S.E.X. obliterated?

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad, JD.

I checked the WI.gov website a few months back, and sure enough, I had some money coming.  A whopping $10.64, but I got it.  Spent it too.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing I learned was in regard to CD’s at a bank. I had 5 of them in varying amounts at a given bank. Each year I’d receive a notification that, unless I notified them otherwise they’d just continue to renew each for the following period. Since I had no reason to notify them I continued to just ignore their notices. 

After a specified number of years, the bank was obligated to turn the funds over to our state controller’s office.  I was unaware of this.

Long story short, after jumping through numerous hoops and waiting for specified time periods to expire wherein certain financial companies had control of my funds (by some liberal law or other) I finally got back all my money sans any interest earned in the interim. It didn’t really matter very much - interest rates were so ridiculously low, anyway. 

The moral?  Ya gotta be more vigilant than I, at least, would have thought. I assumed my bankers were looking out for me. I should have known they’re called “banksters” for a reason.....   B)
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Not bad, JD.

I checked the WI.gov website a few months back, and sure enough, I had some money coming.  A whopping $10.64, but I got it.  Spent it too.
     :D  Look at the bright side Peter. They could have said the only thing they had for you was a warrant.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I searched this a few years ago and found one from a utility company that said "less than $10." so I didn't even bother.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should also search the names of deceased parents, grandparents, etc. There are often assets that can be claimed by heirs.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon