Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:

How do people advance their knowledge in here?

Read, don't believe any of it and smoke the cigars that look interesting and decide what you like.

Where do I start? 

You already did.

Mostly, just enjoy what you like and go from there.
    There is no "rules" to the way you want to enjoy cigars.
    Those "rules" are for arrogant snobs. 
    There are suggestions to help you get more enjoyment out of your cigars, 

True, but I was more asking about the forum. I commented on something trying to guess a picture and someone passive aggressively told me to eff off the way your girlfriend tells you to take the trash out by saying it smells funny in the kitchen. I don't really know the rules of the forum or how any of this works. I feel like a rookie cuban baseball player with the unwritten rules. Or should I say like an american cigar smoker in cuba. 
    If you think that @Usaf06 telling you to lose your address is passive-agressively telling you to eff off, your skin may be too thin to hang here.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he’s talking about “Yakster said:
    Still anyone's guess, but I want to remind anyone of the rules "Contest for forum regulars/good traders."”. However, if that is passive aggressive and telling someone to EFF off I would still tend to agree that perhaps his skin is a little thin. I don’t think there’s any harm meant Calvin it’s just the way we play to keep from getting taken by some of the drifters that come through here.
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • Options
    Yeah, Calvin PM'd me and let me know what he was referring to...

...Agree w/ what Kevin said.
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @deadman I heard the same rumor about Tony as you did... 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NorCalR1 said:
    Alright you guys. Knock that off. 
    You guys are killing me. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    NorCalR1 said:
    Sharks in the water smell fresh blood...

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NorCalR1 said:
    0patience said:
    NorCalR1 said:
    Sharks in the water smell fresh blood...
    I may need nachos!  :D got 4 in the sights, what’s one more.
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard @CalvinAndHobo. You are now the youngest guy on here...beat me by a year lol. Best way to learn is to ask questions and use that handy dandy search bar at the top of the home page.

You already have a coolidor? You're off to a great start. I'm probably about the same financially as you are, except it sounds like you put your money where it belongs instead of going into debt because you just had to stop by the local b&m. Yeah, been there done that more than once.

If you've got thick enough skin to stick around we'd be happy to have another botl. When you're ready to get on the new trader's list shoot me a pm...I gotcha.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I was looking at humidors online and then I saw one that was a cooler and I was like hey I have one of those, so I looked up how to do it. And yeah I'm good I just didn't understand the whole verified trader concept. I'm going to feel my way around for a little bit before I venture into trading so I can get a feel for things first. Thanks for the offer though! That's why I'm here, to speak to those with knowledge and experience and find out what's out there that I'm not aware of. Pretty much everyone has been unfailingly nice so far. 
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I was looking at humidors online and then I saw one that was a cooler and I was like hey I have one of those, so I looked up how to do it. 
    Sweet! I went the route of many newbs and bought a desktop humi...then another....then sacrificed my lunchbox cooler before finally getting a proper cooler. Don't let money stand in your way. I found a brand spanking new cooler on Craigslist for like $15. Guy was just getting rid of it because it was shipped to him with a handle missing. 

Offer stands when you decide you're ready. Be sure to read through the newsletters some of the guys send your way. That'll help to broaden your horizons.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    Newsletter  ;) I think anyone can decipher that if you light them on fire they'll take an hour to burn lol
  • Options
    Yeah I realized that was a good move with the cooler. I've got my list of rookie mistakes though don't worry. I ruined a really nice cigar someone gave me trying to punch it open with a pencil. It took me like six months before I realized that the first part of a cigar doesn't always suck, after I lit one with matches instead of a bic for the first time. 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @CalvinAndHobo to the forum.  As others have pointed out, there was nothing personal to my comment on the To Close To Call thread, I was posting on my phone with the lack of a real keyboard so I just cut and pasted some of the rules for the contest into a message for everyone's benefit.  

Get yourself a newbie trade, don't worry too much about quality of the cigars you have now, that'll change as you learn your tastes and participate.

It can be a nuthouse here sometimes, and it's real hard to read the non-verbal content on a text forum, but glad to have you aboard, Calviin.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Yeah I know there's nothing personal don't worry. It was my fault for not reading the rules before guessing. I'm going to wait a little bit before venturing into the trading arena. I know you say not to worry about the quality of cigars, but what I have might as well be a swisher compared to what I've seen on these trade and bomb threads. I'd rather get some decent sticks first before getting into it. Before you say "no it's fine" just take into account that I'm currently smoking a primeros regional, let me step my game up a LITTLE bit haha. I look forward to seeing what's out there though. I'll let you guys know when I get my tax return and you can all recommend what to buy. Maybe after that I'll see what's out there to trade.
  • Options
    @silvermouse Yeah that's a big part of why I'm smoking cheap lol I was homeless 2 years ago. things steadily getting better one day at a time. 
  • Options
    Thank you in advance, PM'd @0patience

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard @Trish and @CalvinAndHobo
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks dirtdude
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'd like to introduce myself (again) as it has been years since I last posted on here. I stopped to focus on my career in finance and it appears I'm starting to have a little free time again. I'm Mark, and I'm from Tennessee. I've been enjoying cigars for about 120 years now. I love to golf, collect guns (this is a new hobby) and silver coins, and talk anything related to finance, specifically investments.  
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Hey!  Another old fart!  Who says cigars will cause an early death?
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello again Mark. Good to see you back. 
  • Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mark, welcome back to the forum
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back. 
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone