Home General Discussion

Cigar Cutters

Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone tried The Perfect Cigar Cutter? It cuts every type of cigar cap off at the ideal length. I just got mine today and looking at it was a bit skeptical but after trying it am impressed. Plus it comes with a lifetime warranty. Hey for $20.00 bucks you can't go wrong.
You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I haven't tried that one. Let me know how you like it. Mine are all under $30. 

I like that XO cutter though, I've been thinking of picking one up. Just cuts into the cigar budget. 
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadman said:
    I haven't tried that one. Let me know how you like it. Mine are all under $30. 

I like that XO cutter though, I've been thinking of picking one up. Just cuts into the cigar budget. 
    Like I said I was skeptical, but it cut just a very small amount off the cap and I thought this isn't going to work but it's burning with a half inch ash or more. I saw it on a you tube video about cigars and thought I'd check it out. So far not disappointed.
  • thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:
    Has anyone tried The Perfect Cigar Cutter? It cuts every type of cigar cap off at the ideal length. I just got mine today and looking at it was a bit skeptical but after trying it am impressed. Plus it comes with a lifetime warranty. Hey for $20.00 bucks you can't go wrong.
    Pic?
    thehilk said:
    Sleddog46 said:
    Pic?

Sleddog46 said:
    thehilk said:
    Sleddog46 said:
    Pic?
           I sent pics but don't think they came thru...Damn Cell phone.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mom uses one of those. She likes it. It cuts too much off for my preference, but if you enjoy it, Bully!
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    My mom uses one of those. She likes it. It cuts too much off for my preference, but if you enjoy it, Bully!
    When I made the first cut it only took a very little off. I didn't think it cut enough. Are we talking about the same cutter? It has a stop with a small hole that only allows you to cut so much off. Supposed to be able to cut all types of cigars, torpedo's etc.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was gifted one by a rep at Cuban Crafters in Miami. I find that it really makes a perfect cut
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:
    Wylaff said:
    When I made the first cut it only took a very little off. I didn't think it cut enough. Are we talking about the same cutter? It has a stop with a small hole that only allows you to cut so much off. Supposed to be able to cut all types of cigars, torpedo's etc.
    Same type, her's may be a bit deeper. There's a couple companies that make them.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Diver43 said:
    I was gifted one by a rep at Cuban Crafters in Miami. I find that it really makes a perfect cut
    That's the one I bought.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zikar XO, Cuban Crafters, and Zikar VX. My favorites 

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    I live the look of the XO
    thehilk said:
    I live the look of the XO
    They do look sweet.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the gear action on the XO. Blades come in at the same time. Great for large ring cigars.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went and bought a bunch of different cutters of the last few years but my go to is the Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter. Easy to use and you get a perfect cut each time and for $20 is won't break the bank :)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    newbie here. I started by using a punch because everything online said that they're the easiest way to not mess it up. I got this a few months ago and I'm happy with it, it's still sharp and I'm expecting it to last for a while. $9 also, not a bad choice. 
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Yakster couldn't agree more,  I like my guillotine cutter but use my V cut more often than not. You just can't go wrong with it.  
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear the Colibri V-cutter has a deeper cut that some people favor.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I hear the Colibri V-cutter has a deeper cut that some people favor.
    Yes it's a little deeper which I line but depending on the cigar you can control the depth.  It's my go to  :D
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my favorites are a v-cutter

and a cheap straight cutter, a freebie with thin blades--the more expensive thick bladed cutters don't cut as cleanly imho.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a good cutter, you'll want to clean it occasionally with isopropyl alcohol.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    I have a $3 v-cutter. It cuts clean just not very deep.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yakster said:
    If you have a good cutter, you'll want to clean it occasionally with isopropyl alcohol.
    This reminds me of how I used to get buildup on my blades. (xikar Xi2) I used to be in the habit of slobbering on my cigar before I cut it. I felt like this softened up the tobacco and helped me avoid cracking the head during a cut. And, I'm pretty sure I was right but, the build-up on the blades was worse, WAY worse than it is for me now. And it bothered me if somebody wanted to use my cutter. Nowadays I never cut wet. And the blade stays clean. I get a few cracked heads here and there but not many. Funny how I've changed my cutting/lighting routine. I also was in the habit of  lighting the foot before cutting the head. I haven't done that in forever. Maybe I should try that again.  

http://www.cigarinspector.com/cigar-tips/lighting-a-cigar-the-method-of-jacques-puisias

https://youtu.be/YOem4JswMCk?t=1m41s
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use this for everything except a torpedo.  Easiest v-cutter I have used and like the cut. $10, I have them all over the place

https//www.cigar.com/p/colibri-firebird-viper-v-cutter-black-cutters/2007008/
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use this for everything except a torpedo.  Easiest v-cutter I have used and like the cut. $10, I have them all over the place

https//www.cigar.com/p/colibri-firebird-viper-v-cutter-black-cutters/2007008/
    Your link didn't work and I wanted to try. 
    https://www.cigar.com/p/colibri-firebird-viper-v-cutter-black-cutters/2007008/
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My go to is the Xikar Xi1
    For what ever reason, I just like it.
    I have the Xi2 and Xi3, but I think that it is the release button on the Xi1 that I like.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one from cuban crafters i picked up years ago unknown model and it does the job clean cut every time. The wife just ordered a Colibri V cut for me.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've lost every nice cutter I've bought so I use cheap ones (which, interestingly I never loose). My next one will be one of the tabletop cutters.  
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."