Home Non Cigar Related

Microsoft ever call?

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got a call from someone with what sounded like an accent from India telling me that he was  from Microsoft, that my computer was in danger from risks from overseas, and that I should go to my Start button and put in "Run" some code or another he was about to tell me. 

I said "That sounds risky" and hung up.  

Does anyone think that there's a chance that this was legit?  
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. They will never call you.

100% NOT legitimate and without a doubt, a scam.

If you receive an unsolicited call like this .... just hang up.  Never type in anything to your computer, download programs, or do anything else they say.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ correct 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear this from Apple customers all the time. Just like Apple, Microsoft will never proactively call you unless you reach out to them and start the contact yourself. That’s 100% a scam and you did the right thing by just hanging up. In fact I’ve gotten that call myself about a month back and laughed since I don’t even own a MS computer lol. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have received that call several times.  I am no computer nerd, but my daughter started her career with the FBI and now is a senior security engineer for Delta Airlines.
    When we get that call we play safe and have fun. As I tell them OMG how did you know I needed help with my new computer? With the wifi turned off I listen and pretend to do as directed getting frustrated that it isnt working.  When I feel that the caller is frustrated, I tell him what a low down dirty son of a whatever. At what point I had one screaming at me using words that he had to peak into the soldiers book of magic words and phrases to know.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the fake IRS call, I was kind of excited about it. I kept asking questions until eventually the guy hung up. That's the best way to put telemarketers out of business, keep them on the phone so that they have to spend 5 minutes for each failure instead of 5 seconds. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.  My instinct was "this doesn't sound right", guess that was best.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its always great to mess with those guys. If you heard half the **** i tell them it would make you die laughing
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch this guy's videos to learn how to mess with these bozos...

https://youtu.be/N682eopajzA
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not since 1980, had a job interview as I had done some basic programming and they were interested in anybody at that time. They didn't provide health care at the time and I had a new baby blah blah blah. Most of those early folks retired in the 90's.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they didn’t ask you to stop bootlegging their S**t then it wasn’t legit
  • jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Should be horse whipped.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I've been saving random telemarketer callers in my phone under the contact SPAM so I can ignore them.  Today I got an alert on my phone that SPAM is on Google Duo (2 way video chat), wasn't tempted to video chat with the spammer.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    So, I've been saving random telemarketer callers in my phone under the contact SPAM so I can ignore them.  Today I got an alert on my phone that SPAM is on Google Duo (2 way video chat), wasn't tempted to video chat with the spammer.
    The app called True Caller from the App Store not only stores spam callers automatically but alerts you when one of them calls you. All you need to do is press the ‘decline’ button and the call is terminated. I use it all the time - works great.