Home General Discussion

What the What?

firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the heck is this @IndustMech ? I got home from work today tired and feeling deprived from the stupid low-cholesterol diet and wanting nicotine and I open a box to see this debauchery. I suspect there may be several culprits. All right, only because I know resistance is futile, give me a couple of weeks to get used to no nicotine and I’ll see you all on the Vherf carrot sticks in hand. And God willing and diet Willing if my cholesterol is down and showing improvements at my three month check up I’ll join you all for a real cigar. Unfortunately my diet has long consisted of whiskey cigars and fast food and it’s time that I make a change. I will see you all in a couple of weeks once the Temption is not so great...Sidenote this post took four attempts, WTH!!!

Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 

Comments

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thats such a beautiful thing.

I did some amazing progress on mine by eating a bowl of real oatmeal every morning with just enough brown sugar to make it palatable. Cut bad cholesterol 100 points in 30 days, raised good 15 points and halved triglycerides. Doc basically told me anything white, salty or fried is the enemy. We're all pulling for you
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin, I'm still completely confused what quitting cigars has to do with lowering cholesterol... you don't owe me an answer, but the puzzlement is keeping me awake at nights.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, smoking lowers HDL cholesterol which helps fight LDL. I have very low good cholesterol and very high bad cholesterol. 
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck buddy, I am pulling for you.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin @firehouseguy
    Happy birthday, condolences, and wish you were here. From The Excellent Herf. (aka Milwaukee Herf)

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear I'm not alone in the trying to bring down triglycerides. Finely got the blood pressure down and now I'm told my triglycerides are to high....So I'm down to eating cardboard, twigs and grass.  :) No white bread, pasta, potatoes, fried anything and no dairy.      
    Cut way back on drinking....Not that it was that bad to begin with, 2 beers after work and a little more on the weekend. Down to 2-3 a week.
    The doc didn't say anything about smoking.....I guess I'll see what happens in Sept when I get the blood work do again.

At last check my triglycerides were pushing 600. Single digit good cholesterol and bad over 350. The docs first question was if I had any chest pain or numbness of my arm. Oddly, blood pressure was 120/65. They still can't figure that one out
    cbuck said:
    Pint of ice cream every day, 7 or 8 cigars. Triglycerides 75, cholesterol 133! More hereditary than anything! Bp 102 over 60! Doc says don’t change a thing! Lucky, I guess!
    So jealous
    @ForMud I switched from my white bread to orowheat oatnut. I tried all the different kinds of double grain/whole grain/bird seed breads and found the oat bread to be decent nutritionally without feeling like I was eating a slice of compacted bird feed

I can’t believe I didn’t post this. I put in the fridge right away cause I knew what it was. Thank you @CalvinAndHobo I have seen pictures of this and was dying to try it. Spice is something I can certainly have right now and I’m having plenty of to cut the taste of these vegetables. It’s totally going to come in handy. Thanks Guys!
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cbuck said:
    Pint of ice cream every day, 7 or 8 cigars. Triglycerides 75, cholesterol 133! More hereditary than anything! Bp 102 over 60! Doc says don’t change a thing! Lucky, I guess!
    So jealous
    And imagine how much better the numbers would be if I drank! Not a drop in 36 years!
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @firehouseguy, Well to be honest with you man my cholesterol LDL last it was tested was 208!!! I smoke maybe 2 cigars a week, damn near quit drinking, workout like crazy, on a ridiculous strict diet, run a mile +every other day or more and I’m only 28.
    Lowest I’ve ever got it was 190! Doc says I’m genetically Fvcked and wants me on statins...crazy stuff right.

Best of luck to you with your goals! Hope you’ll be able to enjoy a cigar every now and then. I don’t know how many gars you smoke a week but I’d blame the alcohol and fast food before cigars...although if it’s hereditary....😐
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At last check my triglycerides were pushing 600. Single digit good cholesterol and bad over 350. The docs first question was if I had any chest pain or numbness of my arm. Oddly, blood pressure was 120/65. They still can't figure that one out
    Dear lord!!! 600Tris & 350LDL😳
    Well I know a guy that smoked 2 packs of Marlboro reds a day for 40 years and his health is fine... at least I think he’s still alive.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    TX98Z28 said:
    Dear lord!!! 600Tris & 350LDL😳
    Well I know a guy that smoked 2 packs of Marlboro reds a day for 40 years and his health is fine... at least I think he’s still alive.
    I'm genetically bent over a barrel. And my activity level has me on the fast track. During high school a doctor told me I would be lucky to see 50. I laughed it off then but 8 years later I'm on the short list for a heart attack.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dam sounds like my blood pressure. I didn't go see a doctor for check up in almost 15 years. When I hit 52 I went and got everything checked. My PB was something like 200 over 140. She asked me the same question....Almost took me the emergency room. But I felt fine and had for years. Took a couple of years to bring it down to 125/85 as of last month with the help of meds.
    Now my triglycerides went up to 300. She's going to give me a chance to get it under control with diet before trying meds.
    I rarely eat fast food, I watch my salt and not much sugar. My guess is the dairy ( I like my cheese ) and the bread/pasta is what's doing it....That and I sit most of the day. 

And @firehouseguy..... Watch out the sauce @CalvinAndHobo makes is like crack!!!!! 
    I'm needing to send him some sticks soon to get another hit before I start going into withdraws. :)
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I refuse to see a doctor, so I raised my life insurance.  Its a win, win.  The little one and colleen will be set up, plus Colleen can upgrade to a newer and younger model.  Also that sauce is very good, going to use some of it as a base for salsa this weekend.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cbuck said:
    Oh hush! ;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@calvinandhobo dude you blew up my chicken tonight, your sauce is the bomb.
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@calvinandhobo dude you blew up my chicken tonight, your sauce is the bomb.
    Healthy food with hot sauce > healthy food