Home Non Cigar Related

The moon landing.

ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
Being it was just a anniversary on Friday and they are talking about going back there lately as a jumping off point to Mars.
It got me thinking......Did/how it actually happen?
It's been almost forty years and no one else has been there, or even close....Why?  
The part I'm having trouble with is the technology part of it. Compared to today, technology was pretty crude for a journey like this. With what we have today it would be a very hard under taking.

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They had the right stuff a mandate to beat the Soviet's to the Moon.

Doing it safely and repeatably is a much different thing.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask Buzz Aldrin
    A little dirt never hurt
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just amazes me they could pull it off with what they had to work with. I mean look at the tech of computers, electronics, metallurgy at the time.
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is this moon you speak of
    Non Crux sed lux
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like cheese
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s pretty interesting!
    Oh come on, you guys believe this Russian hacker? It was the space race, we won so why go there again? Does somebody else want to race....I didn't think so.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not believe the moon landings were hoaxes, but what amazes me, and it's a testimony to the NASA people, that the first space crafts has less computer power than my cell phone!
    If those rocks that I saw in 3rd grade had value we would be mining on the moon.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was much at stake at the time (at least in the minds of those who sought recognition as leaders and innovators) so contingencies were made. No plan of this scale would be carried out without having a safety net. There are certain aspects to the theories concerning a faked landing which actually do have merit; there are certain aspects to the broadcasted and official narrative that are undeniable, too. The idea I propose, is that the space agencies involved did in fact simulate a landing to attain a two-fold result. First, the "performance" would provide a high quality and detailed account, versus a sketchy result obtained from the recording instruments at the time from outer space. Second, if something did go wrong, they would still have what they would needed to best the Russians. A real event did take place, and I like to believe they actually did complete their mission, but that doesn't mean there weren't any operations going on to ensure a "mission accomplished" badge could be worn. I think this is why there are so many theories suggesting the moon landing was faked. Some evidence viewed today just doesn't add up, but it doesn't necessarily mean the landing didn't happen.

And then there's the whole flat Earth quackery...and it hurts my brain.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the landed was a fake then how the hell did they plant the American flag on the moon??? Which is still there if you have a powerful enough telescope to see it.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The landing never happened. The moon itself is a man-mad satellite. The flag was build on it prior to launch to made it more convincing, and actually marks the location of the hidden missile silo.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't any of you remember the cheese shortage running up to the launch?
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭