Home Non Cigar Related

Opioid Epidemic

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    So let's not deal with the actual problem, let's make the law abiding people who need the product suffer. 
    The good ol' US of A way. 

BINGO!  The sad truth.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to think that there are too many Congress critters and senate suckers invested in big pharma for them to ever want to actually fix this problem.
    It's always a case of locking the barn door after the cat has already gotten in there.
     Too little too late and completely ineffective. Those are the solutions offered us by our government.
    Apparently once you become elected to any Bring mental position you catch a case of cranial rectitus.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to think that there are too many Congress critters and senate suckers invested in big pharma for them to ever want to actually fix this problem.
    It's always a case of locking the barn door after the cat has already gotten in there.
     Too little too late and completely ineffective. Those are the solutions offered us by our government.
    Apparently once you become elected to any Bring mental position you catch a case of cranial rectitus.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I know many people who have both quit drinking and or opiates using kratom which works in similar ways to suboxone but due to it being able to bind to certain opioid  receptor is can still be addicting. On the other hand I'd much rather my friends hooked on something I think it pretty hard to overdose on and even taking more that you should can cause "a bad trip" from what I understand.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Drugs Inc. is running on TV again, with new episodes. It is the most eye opening documentary show I have ever watched and I even watch the repeats. I do not think 75% of our fellow citizens have any idea how bad the situation really is. With the difficulties obtaining opioids increasing, heroin is making a strong comeback. And as with opioids there are 2 countries responsible for the smuggling 70% of the stuff into the US. As with opioids the heroin is coming in via Mexico and China.
    Well if there wasn't a demand there would be no supply.
    Basic economics.
    But since marijuana was legalized in some form or another in several States, the amount of marijuana coming across that Southern border is a lot less than it used to be.
    Food for thought. But I am in no way suggesting we should legalize heroin.

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

But since marijuana was legalized in some form or another in several States, the amount of marijuana coming across that Southern border is a lot less than it used to be.

I gotta ask Jeff, where are you getting your numbers from?
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
    edited September 2018
    Stubble said:

I gotta ask Jeff, where are you getting your numbers from?
    It was some article I read a while back...they interviewed some DEA guy.....he attributed the decline in marijuana seizures to a combination of legality and illegal grows in national forests.  Mostly northern California.  He said the cartels are growing it here now.  More and more the weed seized was grown right here.
    Now I'm not saying none gets across....cuz it does.  But there has also been a corresponding rise in the amount of coke and heroin coming across as our weed appetites are satisfied legally.

Nobody smuggles weed into colorado lol

@Sketch6995, I can't and will not speak for the state of Colorado. But the DEA dude is way off point from my experience of the southern border in Texas.  There is still a substantial amount of marijuana coming in from Mexico. It is not hydroponic either.  It's much less potent and worth far less.  Still heading to places as a stand alone or to be used as filler.  Interesting views from region to region....thanks for responding. 
    Interesting read, you posted as I was typing my response.  At least we can say, from info in the article, folks are buying "American" again...Amen to that!
    I just found this.....holy crap.....
    They are actually seizing marijuana going south to Mexico.  Hahaha.
    I laughed for 10 minutes or I would have posted this sooner LOL

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-marijuana-20180127-story.html

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Fun fact, a **** ton, literally, a **** ton of hydro comes from our neighbors from the north.  But the powers that be focus solely on the neighbors to the south.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Avocado smuggling has always been "an issue," especially in El Paso.  So much, the USDA was told to stop the incentives provided to other agencies to catch smugglers of the decantant fruit, since Agents were focussing too much time on agriculture contraband. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coffee is also a global target.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Hes right ^^^^^  there are pitched battles over coffee beans.  As the temps climb so does the coffee in altitude.  Theres less and less coffee growing land every year.

Or so I read.    :D

jd50ae said:
     I do not think 75% of our fellow citizens have any idea how bad the situation really is. With the difficulties obtaining opioids increasing, heroin is making a strong comeback.
    I think this is a good point, one that the politicos seem oblivious to.  It seems often that the only solution our feeble-minded legislators can conceive for any problem is the classic "Smackdown!"  

Seeking and recognizing and admitting the root causes, evaluating the real costs, and end results?  Nah!!  What'd we do that for?  Where's the fun in that?  We like schadenfreude.  That's where the votes come from.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
     I do not think 75% of our fellow citizens have any idea how bad the situation really is. With the difficulties obtaining opioids increasing, heroin is making a strong comeback.
    I think this is a good point, one that the politicos seem oblivious to.  It seems often that the only solution our feeble-minded legislators can conceive for any problem is the classic "Smackdown!"  

Seeking and recognizing and admitting the root causes, evaluating the real costs, and end results?  Nah!!  What'd we do that for?  Where's the fun in that?  We like schadenfreude.  That's where the votes come from.
    Most members of society as a whole anymore don’t want to fix an issue they want a fast solution. So evaluating and analyzing and dealing with the root cause is becoming rare in general. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I know this thread is about the opioid epidemic but what’s not being talked about by the news media is the amphetamine epidemic...Hell its just as bad if not worse than opioids! It starts with Big Pharma as well. Shrinks prescribing amphetamines like candy to children and adults for ADHD/ADD! Much easier to get refills than opioids to keep filling Big Pharmas pockets and if a refill isn’t given well the road to crystal meth is basically paved...IMO crystal meth is much worse than heroin. Heroin overdose results in the user usually dying. Crystal meth overdose thats what I’ll call it can result in death but more than likely the user will be so psychotic and paranoid horrendous crimes an death to others is quite common. So again why is the news media blasting opioids but amphetamines are pushed aside? Simple Big Pharma losing more money, and I wonder how many news anchors and politicians have invested money in Big Pharma...
    Post edited by TX98Z28 on
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    TX98Z28 said:
    ... I wonder how many news anchors and politicians have invested money in Big Pharma...
    Or how many are on Adderall et al.?

Meth eats your soul.

TX98Z28 said:
    ... I wonder how many news anchors and politicians have invested money in Big Pharma...
    Or how many are on Adderall et al.?

Meth eats your soul.
    As fast as they talk on the news I’d say most if not all are taking it or something equivalent.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    TX98Z28 said:
    I know this thread is about the opioid epidemic but what’s not being talked about by the news media is the amphetamine epidemic...Hell its just as bad if not worse than opioids! It starts with Big Pharma as well. Shrinks prescribing amphetamines like candy to children and adults for ADHD/ADD! Much easier to get refills than opioids to keep filling Big Pharmas pockets and if a refill isn’t given well the road to crystal meth is basically paved...IMO crystal meth is much worse than heroin. Heroin overdose results in the user usually dying. Crystal meth overdose thats what I’ll call it can result in death but more than likely the user will be so psychotic and paranoid horrendous crimes an death to others is quite common. So again why is the news media blasting opioids but amphetamines are pushed aside? Simple Big Pharma losing more money, and I wonder how many news anchors and politicians have invested money in Big Pharma...
    Pharmaceutical companies/doctors/hospitals can be blamed for most of the problems.  There are a huge number of people that get hooked on heroine due to their pain meds being cut off by their doctor.  Heroine is cheap and does the same thing someone says, and boom another body on pharma.  This is crazy common.  Also now days there is a pill for everything.  I went in for chronic headaches, not migraines, and they were pushing pills on me in less than ten seconds.  Your child is fun creative, and full of energy (normal) here's a pill to "fix" that.  A huge problem is adults no longer actually dealing with situations head on.  Pills/drugs are easier than facing real life.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    TX98Z28 said:
    Pharmaceutical companies/doctors/hospitals can be blamed for most of the problems.  There are a huge number of people that get hooked on heroine due to their pain meds being cut off by their doctor.  Heroine is cheap and does the same thing someone says, and boom another body on pharma.  This is crazy common.  Also now days there is a pill for everything.  I went in for chronic headaches, not migraines, and they were pushing pills on me in less than ten seconds.  Your child is fun creative, and full of energy (normal) here's a pill to "fix" that.  A huge problem is adults no longer actually dealing with situations head on.  Pills/drugs are easier than facing real life.
    The doctors shouldn’t cut patients pain medications unless they believes or knows the patient is abusing it, in which the Doctor should titrate the patient off that medication...which is a huge legal problem as if they are wrong and take them off it the patient couldn’t sue them or if they are abusing it and the doctor keeps refilling it they can be sued for malpractice as well. I’m with you on keeping kids off stimulants/amphetamines. That stuff is horrible for children and I don’t know of any kids that arn’t bouncing off the walls at young ages either. My rule with all and any drugs is if they must be used, use them with moderation and if the person can’t they need to get off them ASAP, and if they can’t do that they need to get help.
    What is prescribed and why varies for all patience and what people do/experience varies drastically, however that being said with the exception of severe chronic pain, doctors often will only allow X amount of refills (even if the pain persists).  It is this cut off that may lead down the rabbit hole.  Amphetamines are a total different ball game.  the paranoia/sycosis crap comes from severe lack of sleep and too much dopamine flooding the brain.  An actual OD causes the heart to explode.  This stuff is a very powerful stimulant that will keep users up for days even week + at a time.  This may also lead to eye problems.  Without being shut for periods of time the cornea can actually dry out and cause crazy damage to vision.  In my opinion this problem is less on Pharma than it is the user, "one is too many and a thousand is never enough".  the human brain is very complex and no one knows why people make the choices they do. 
    MOW badge received.
    Sorry for the rants, I know a lot about this stuff.
    MOW badge received.
    Rant away brother .....
    I hear every word

So the TSA will call the cops, who cant make an arrest if it's a legal amount.
    Our world is changing, albeit slowly but change is coming.

“International” airports fall under international law at least the customs portion. TSA can hold you for like 72 hours if caught with drugs they deem illegal. It’s been this way because of drug smuggling into or out of the US and other countries.