Home Non Cigar Related

A human interest story

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a photo of my occasional smoking buddy. Her name is Gertie, she’s a cigarette smoker, and tomorrow will be her 94th birthday. She’s the only other smoker I’m aware of who lives at the assisted living facility where I live. 

She told me she’s been here for four years. She thinks our secret smoking place is a secret but everyone knows she sneaks out here 3 or 4 times a day for a quick smoke. And I mean everyone, up to and including the administrator of the facility.

When I first began coming out here, she was pretty leery of me - worried that I’d rat her out. It took a while for me to gain her confidence. She’s quite a gal. Her mind is still sharp but her hearing isn’t quite up to par. I get a kick out of talking with her when we bump into one another sneaking out for a smoke. 

I couldnt take a photo of her directly because she’s a bit paranoid about being caught even though I’m confident that no one would say anything. I had to wait until she wasn’t looking to get this shot.....

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always nice to have a smoking buddy. Hi Gertie.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is awesome, good company is hard to find.  I needed a smile today, thank you Marty/Jasper.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool stuff Marty thanks for sharing :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd bet money she outlives me
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your description of her, and her being suspicious, reminds me of my dear departed grandmother. 
    I hope Girty appreciates the company of a fine gentleman like you!
    Did you introduce her to Jasper yet? 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think she sees well enough to even know Jasper’s there. Her eyelids droop so much I really wonder how she finds her way around. But she has stamina enough to pedal that wheelchair of hers all the way over to the skilled nursing facility next door to where we live. That’s a good 75 to 100 yards away. She goes over there periodically to visit a lady friend of hers. She’s a tough old bird...  Gertie, I mean. I don’t know her friend. 
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's certainly grand when you have someone you care about to share a smoke with.

Thank you for sharing, Marty.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to be like Gertie in about 20 years, maybe minus the wheel chair.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThTs wonderful Marty, glad you got some special time in and a smoke and drink. Thanks for sharing my friend 😎
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."