Home Non Cigar Related

Know your insurance policies

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have full coverage insurance on my truck with Roadside Assistance.
So when my truck engine went south on me, I called the tow truck and had them tow my truck home, paid him the $190 for the tow and figured I'd talk to the insurance company later to see what reimbursement there was on it.

Well, I called them today and found out that my "Roadside Assistance" pays a whopping "up to" $50 for a tow. I don't know any tow companies that will even hook up for $50. 
Ok, so what roadside assistance do you do? 
They will pay a percentage of a lock smith or tire repair.
And the $50 for the tow.
Ok, so how much am I paying for this "service"? 
$9 per car (4 of them) per month. WTF??
$36 month for what? Nothing.

So I cancelled the roadside assistance on my policy, went over to AAA and got their towing package for everyone for $150 less per year than I'm paying for garbage assistance.

I can't believe I was so gullible to think that roadside assistance meant that it actually covered something. 
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The large print giveth,
    The small print taketh away

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have I have had AAA since I was 16 had their roadside assistance has always been top notch. 100 mile tow when my 4x4 lost its transfer case and it didn’t cost me a dime.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try reading your entire health insurance policy, it is even more **** up.  Especially an open market policy or ACA.  They steal from you legally. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try reading your entire health insurance policy, it is even more **** up.  Especially an open market policy or ACA.  They steal from you legally. 
    I always love when they do rate hikes and use terms like, "To serve our customers better, we have to increase your premium."
    So getting less for more is better service?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, we get AAA as a gift every year.  My only complaint is that the local AAA treats us like pariahs since we're gifted an out of state membership and they want the sales more than anything.  Heck, we have it on our insurance, but this policy gives it for a buck a month or something like that and gets packaged with some other stuff.  I just never use it.  We also have flat assistance from Sam's on one vehicle and from the dealer on the other.  But AAA is my first call. 

My wife had a flat not long ago.  She ran over a bungee strap.  One of the industrial black ones with the S hook, which drove right through the tire on our AWD Chevy Equinox.  Had to get 4 new tires; the shop wouldn't even just replace 2. I was about 6 months away from doing it anyway, so no biggie.  But to make matters worse, she tried to change the flat herself.  Did it on a slight incline and didn't set the parking brake.  We now have a jack that looks kinda like a taco shell.

So I called AAA and had to wait an hour for a guy.  But he came out from a local-ish garage with his wife in the passenger seat for company.  Super friendly.  Super helpful.

As to fine print and medical insurance, just an FYI, they don't cover injuries that result from any act of terror.  So if you were hanging out at Pulse or a country concert in Vegas that gets classified as such, you're in for a mountain of bills.  Sooooo many exclusions.  And they can change what they want in ways that aren't necessarily disclosed to you though they may be to your employer.  My wife had some complications when she was pregnant years ago.  She needed a script.  The doc wrote a 30 day supply.  Insurance would pay for 7 at the full 30 day copay.  And they cut the "necessary" amount by a third.  The day and a half of meds would have cost us about $450 every two weeks.

But to tell you how stupid insurance companies are, the same medicine was covered 100% if delivered by home health nurses.  The doctor simply said it was a medical necessity if they wouldn't give us the pills through the pharmacy.  Approved.  So now they're paying for a higer-cost version of the meds to be delivered with a pump, IVs, regular nurse visits at home, etc...and it cost them more in the long run.  And we wonder why medical costs are skyrocketing?

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Martel said:
    Yeah,... now they're paying for a higer-cost version of the meds to be delivered with a pump, IVs, regular nurse visits at home, etc...and it cost them more in the long run.  And we wonder why medical costs are skyrocketing?

It's truly amazing.  Prior to my shoulder surgery the surgeon told me "Nothing will show me what I need to know except an MRI, however, the insurance will not pay $1,005 for an MRI until you've had a $250 X-ray and a $1000 CT scan."  

What kind of idiots are in charge of these things?  

Oh yeah, private sector insurance executives.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We’ve got two health insurances for Cael with all of his specialized needs. My primary one that I pay top dollar for through Apple, and anything that they don’t pick up is covered by the Medicaid buy in program that we pay for as secondary insurance. This number is BEFORE insurance payments but last year alone all of his therapy and medical and doctor and other needs came to just under $5 MILLION F’ing dollars! His sleep study alone was $85,000. F’ing nuts what medical costs in the USA, and it’s atill so much better than so many other places in the world. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With what we pay, you'd expect our life expectancy would be higher   https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/world-life-expectancy-map
    We're 34 right below Cuba.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:

I always love when they do rate hikes and use terms like, "To serve our customers better, we have to increase your premium."
    So getting less for more is better service?
    That just means "We expanded our customer service call center by building another office in Bangalore and we have to pay for it somehow."

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know anything about hunting liability insurance?
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    What happened? ^^^^^  Might consult an attorney first.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Nothing, just exploring the possibility of allowing hunting on the MIL's 160 country acres, but want to make sure to cover her liability.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check with her homeowner's insurance. My grandparents had a rider coverage on their farm land for liability. That was a few decades ago, so things may have changed.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    edited November 2018
    Ah, that makes way more sense than what I was thinking.  My mind immediately went to, he's thinking about pulling a D ick Cheney.  Wow can't even write a guys name without being censored.
    MOW badge received.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    A little dirt never hurt
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Nothing, just exploring the possibility of allowing hunting on the MIL's 160 country acres, but want to make sure to cover her liability.
    https://ahuntinglease.org/?ahlaaffid=1494

It's a multi-party insurance. As the landowner, you pay a portion. The person that leases the land pays another portions. Its pretty comprehensive, but by splitting the payment, you are both taking responsibility for different aspects.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Thanks, Wayne!