Home Cigar 101

Currently seasoning humidor

Thunder_13Thunder_13 Posts: 20
Hi all,

I am new to seasoning a humidor so I been following my cousin directions so far he has a couple humidors and been aiming for a few years now. First wipe down (distilled water & new sponge) then put in a shot glass of water and wet small filter, put both in along with 69% moisture pads (I could only get 75% at the time but was told it should be ok), then leave closed for 7 days that was on the 9th of Oct. When I took out the box it was reading 70% after doing everything it jumped to 90% after a day it's been holding at 80% to 82% I am reading off the meter on front which has moved so assume it's working (I have a whitesell glass top 50 count). 

Okay so my question after all that lol is after 7 days how will I get it down to 70%? Thanks for the help in advance. 

Also I live in Chicago if that matter weather wise and I trust him but just a little nervous still.

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain.....Where are you.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    What are you using to measure the humidity %?

What's the relative humidity in your humidor's environment?

If the room it's in is less, leave it open overnight.

Doing my best Bob_Luken impression by being courteous and helpful.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Thunder_13Thunder_13 Posts: 20
    I live Chicago we have good amount humidity in summer month with that said this time of year kind of low and to me my house seem dry this time of year. I am.using the % meter that came with the unit it's on the front outside it's a whitesell glass top.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get yourself a good digital hygrometer.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you do the salt test on the hygrometer that came with the humidor? If not google it. It’s simple and a must do. And a digital is a must. Those analogs that come with the humidors are not very accurate. But you still have to do the salt test even with a digital because they can be off by a few degrees up or down but once you know how much it’s off all you got to do is remember it. Mine shows 3 degrees higher than it actually is. You can get digitals cheap on eBay. 
    Thanks for the info I did not do salt test I will do it tonight and I will so start a look for a digital version also. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Thunder. Welcome to the wonderful world of cheap, foreign-made desktop humidors. It's a trap. It's a beautifully veneered trap. Relatively few people know anything about properly storing cigars so, most people assume the first thing a new guy needs is a pretty little wooden box with a glass top to view those yummy cigars, right? But nobody understands the struggle you may encounter. It's kinda like giving a kid a '75 Ford Pinto for his/her first car. It might not be so bad, or it might be bad. I've had about 50/50 luck with regulating the proper humidity range for the handful of desktops I've had. You may have no trouble getting a steady acceptable reading with yours. I'm wishing you the best while betting against you. The suggestions given so far are good advice. I also want to add that you must keep your humidor away from too much sunlight, and certainly you want no direct sunlight. Also keep it away from any drafts created by heat/AC vents and for sure away from radiant heat from a fireplace or other heat source. The biggest problem you may have in succeeding is a bad seal. Either the glass is not sealed into the lid well enough or the lid does not seal tightly enough at some point around the lid. I gave up on cheap, foreign-made desktop humidors years ago. The only two I still use are kept INSIDE a coleman cooler. 

Do get yourself a digital hygrometer. You can even get one at walmart for $8 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digital-Humidity-and-Temperature-Monitor-00325/16888914?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1122&adid=22222222227009373117&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=43538542352&wl4=pla-83259689792&wl5=9013144&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=101593696&wl11=online&wl12=16888914&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZDeBRD9ARIsAMbAmoaUAqvwqUbeOsYjZzs2K24njY5Nyx7pH3JsXwhoo4TvQ08107DMlScaAtnpEALw_wcB

but it would be a bit large for your desktop humidor. 

And Bovedas 65% or 69% (You can have too few but you can't have too many Bovedas)

The green foam puck humidifier that came with your desktop will be OK to use for now but get rid of it when you get some bovedas. The green stuff is not great at regulating humidity anyway but the scary thing about them is a reputation for mold growth.

Keep asking questions as needed. We're here to help. And if you want to talk about coolidors, we got knowledge to pass on dealing with coolidors too. You wouldn't think so but if you're talking about cigar storage, Coolidor rhymes with easy peasy.  
    Okay thanks for keeping it real Bob I have a feeling u are correct. I see the next issuse will be were am i going to store this at now cause u just killed my house lol. I do have one spot that fits this but it's the coldest room in my house my man cave downstairs its fully finished but cold would that be a problem? I have a cabinet I could set in would be dark and no draft from window I think. I cant get a bigger unit till Xmas wife will approve for a gift to my self smh so until then I have to use desktop unit. She already hates my new hobby 😂
    Also can u give me a link to a decent low cost Coolidor?
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also can u give me a link to a decent low cost Coolidor?
    Walmart- island breeze 
    its 48 quart for $15
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coolidor is just a cooler that’s been turned into use for cigar storage. 

Basically you wash wash it out with warm water and dish soap and rinse then dry. Put in some balled up newspaper and a dish or box of baking soda and leave closed up for a day or few until the plastic smell is gone. Then you can load it with cigars, boxes, pieces of Spanish cedar from cigar boxes and inserts for smell as well as a half dozen to dozen Boveda packs and a digital hygrometer to monitor everything, though if you use Boveda then the hygrometer isn’t really needed unless you wish to see the same numbers pop up every time you open it. Very simple and easy, and honestly the biggest cost is the 12 pack of 65-69% Bovedas for $42 on Amazon Prime. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    thx for the input Deadman & Irishman, I may try the cooler thing if this humidor isn't hold up. Curious u leave newspaper in after a few days once smell is gone? Do u take cigars out of the wrapper they come in or just bare cigars? And u guys say the Bovedas is all u need to control humidity? No shot glass of water or puck with green stuff? Just packs and cigars will that work in a humidor also? I have (2) 75% ones so can I take the puck and water out? It's been 6 days since I season and it has not been opened also. 
    edited October 2018
    Depends on how strong the plastic smell is. Once it’s gone toss the newspaper and add cigars. I leave mine in the cellophane so they don’t get damaged when rummaging through. 60 gram boveda packs mixed in throughout. The little boveda packs get thrown in on top. I also use two small containers of non scented silica kitty litter. It’s maintains 67-69% humidity. 

I am so jealous smh I want so bad. 😁
    Also that’s only a 70 qt cooler. I started, like you with a 100 ct desktop. Moved to tuperdors for overflow, then the 48 qt I mentioned, then this 70. Now I’m trying to talk the wife into a minitower. 
    Ah I see tower for xmas I think my friend have towers. So I took pick out left 2 75% boveda packs in there and shot glass. How long u think before humidity and temp settle u think?
    Season for a week min, 2 would be better. Remove your 75 packs and the shot glass and just add your cigars and regular bovedas
    Tomorrow is 7 days, as for Bovedas packs I will pick up 2 of the 69% ones Thursday when I can go by the cigar shop until then hope 75% isn't over kill. When I bought them all they had was the 75 guy said they should be ok. I will do salt test on digital meter tonight see what it say. 
    75 is ok for seasoning. Not ok for everyday use. The basic rule is 70/70 this means 70% humidity at 70 degrees. Most people on here myself included prefer 63-69 on the humidity and 60-70 on the temp. The higher humidity allows for mold to grow, tobacco beetles to hatch, and generally a bitter taste to your cigar.
    edited October 2018
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oEKn3LFf0ko

Here’s one video and there are thousands. Some are fun to watch and can kill some time if you are bored. 
    Okay. I will get the 69% tomorrow after work and toss the 75% ones. 
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need to toss them. Save them in a small Tupperware for when you need them again
    No need to toss them. Save them in a small Tupperware for when you need them again
    He’s correct. Save them for when you have to re-season your humidor. Plus boveda packs can be recharged. 
    So I got the digital reader put in for 3hr and it read 72%. I took it out will run salt test over night see how accurate it is I will also grab 2 of the 69% Bovedas tomorrow. How long after that should wait before I put my cigars in?
    Can I store the 75% in a zip lock bag or it has to be a Tupperware bowl?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I store the 75% in a zip lock bag or it has to be a Tupperware bowl?
    I would recommend a sturdy ziploc to store your 75% bovedas.  if you have quart size "freezer" bags they'd be more likely to be more airtight. 

And, regarding coolers, if the idea of a full size cooler seems like too much for you to fill up at this point, you can start small. I recommend the Coleman Xtreme 28 quart. The Coleman Extreme line of coolers are great for cigar storage. As with wood desktop humidors, coolers need to have a good seal. The coleman extreme coolers do have that good seal. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-28-Quart-Performance-Cooler/23427946?athcpid=23427946&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=79c1a835-bf8-1667b4d7b096fa&athena=true
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or if you want to start on a even smaller scale, use small air tight, food grade, tupperware containers. Throw 20 - 30 sticks in and a couple 65% Bovedas and your good to go.
    Use the desktop humidor to store all the lighter and cutters. 
    I will try the desktop humidor first if that dont work I will either go Tupperware or cooler.  I ran the salt test on the ditgal reader I got yesterday it said 73% when I looked at it but it also said highest reading was 74% so I assume I am of by like 1 or 2. I put in the humidor and will leave for 8hr and see what it say. I am sure it will maybe be high since I have 75% Bovedas in there until I get home tonight.