Home Cigar 101

New to cigars

Hey y’all I’m new to the cigar world any tips for a better experience and any knowledge you would like to share
Tagged:

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hey TayTay, welcome to the world of cigars and Ccom forum, there’s a lot of great info here. 

My first recommendation is to read the post at the top of this section called Things Newbies Should Know, that will give you a ton of great info. 

The second is to make aure your cigars are stored stored properly and at an acceptable humidity and temperature range. 

Lastly the most most common mistake I see frequently is smoking a good cigar too fast. This makes it hot and bitter and loses a lot of the flavors that make a cigar great. Easiest way to know if your smoking pace is right is to see what the cherry/ember looks when you Ash. If it’s a cone then you are smoking too fast as the outer leaves are burning faster than the middle can keep up with. If you Ash and it looks concave like the center is a crater then you’re going to slow. You want the cherry to be as flat as possible. 

Long ashes and good smokes, welcome again. 
    Post edited by 90+_Irishman on
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Not sure if Brett said this, I'm not going to read all that,  but look around this forum. There's a lot of good info here. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    V-herf,....... late at night. We'll talk you through it. 

V-herf: Video conference call on google hangouts where we gather to smoke cigars together in real time. Find the link on the V-herf thread.
    https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/713386/vherf/p1

(Herf is a slang term for a group smoking cigars)

This forum is a tight knit group of cigar enthusiasts who have developed relationships with each other over years and years but especially on the v-herf where you get to know one another extremely well, even though you've never even been in the same room with some of the guys. Sometimes it's just two guys, sometimes it's a half dozen or more.

@Yakster has the direct links figured out,......... I think. 

Android vHerf  or  iOS vHerf Link 

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold on a minute.....My daughters name is Taylor and I called her TayTay when she was little.....And she just turned 23 last week.........So maybe she's getting some idea on what to get her father for Christmas?
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard @Taytay23_23 - be sure to say hello in the newbie welcoming thread. also just have fun 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Taytay23_23Taytay23_23 Posts: 2
    ForMud said:
    Hold on a minute.....My daughters name is Taylor and I called her TayTay when she was little.....And she just turned 23 last week.........So maybe she's getting some idea on what to get her father for Christmas?
    I got that nickname cause when I was a kid I tried to say tata witch is slang for grandpa in Spanish but I would say tatay and over the years it developed to taytay and actually ima turn 22 in December lol 

• CigarcrazyCigarcrazy Posts: 4
    They are really good you just need to know what your pallet refers and experiment on different ones. Flavor is the key.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you really want to learn, spend some time and read this .. https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/10439/developing-your-palate/p1

A whole lot of good info in there.