Home Non Cigar Related

You know you are getting old

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
When someone asks why they put the phone to their ear before they dial the phone in old movies.
How come they don't dial first then put the phone to their ear.
Then you have to explain that they are listening for the dial tone or to see if someone else is on the line.

The whole conversation went to explain that when you picked up the phone, you had make sure you had tone before you could dial and if you were on a party line, if someone was on it, you had to wait for them to be done.
A what? 
Then had to explain what a party line was. Not what they envisioned. LOL!

I never gave it a thought that some younger people have absolutely no idea how an old phone worked.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not only old enough to remember a party line, I had one!
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when I was a kid our phone was on a party line. To make a call you would just pick up the phone, hit the hang-up switch a couple of times and then the nice lady would say 'operator' and you'd tell her the number you wanted, or if you didn't know that just the name of the person you wanted to talk to. It was a big deal when we got a phone with a rotary dial. And this was in a suburb 10 miles outside of Boston.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kids these days don't know what a typewriter is.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Kids these days don't know what a typewriter is.
    Do they even know what a pencil is?
    They can't read or write in cursive handwriting either.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard for them to fathom the fact that even into the 70s, a lot of cars came with only AM radio. FM was an option. 
    8 track was an option and it wasn't really until the last of the 70s and early 80s that cassettes took over.
    A portable reel to reel was popular in the 60s and VCRs weren't really a common thing until the late 70s and even then, no one could afford them.
    My brother in law would send recorded reels of tape home from Vietnam all the time for my sister and the family.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 57 Chevy had crank up windows. 
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 57 Chevy had crank up windows. 
    So did my 85 Camaro that I built. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been said on here before, one way or another. But every time it makes me feel older and other person less noble, like disrespecting your elders.

In my room and refreshment time is upon us. Hey grandson, go to the kitchen and get a churchkey, this ain't a twist off. Silence and a blank stare follows......
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    It has been said on here before, one way or another. But every time it makes me feel older and other person less noble, like disrespecting your elders.

In my room and refreshment time is upon us. Hey grandson, go to the kitchen and get a churchkey, this ain't a twist off. Silence and a blank stare follows......
    Well maybe if you called it a bottle opener, he would know what to look for
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The clue was "this ain't a twist-off", but I'm certain the term church key already had him stunned. LOL
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on grandpa with all your life experience you can't improvise a bottle opener?  **** I'm 32 and can figure this out, I also know that term because my old man was older than his years, just like me.  Damn kids these days!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    edited November 2018
    Kids today don't know that vehicle used to have built in bottle openers. The seat belt end and on older trucks, the brace for the steering column used to be perfect for opening bottles.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Kids today don't know that vehicle used to have built in bottle openers. The seat belt end and on older trucks, the brace for the steering column used to be perfect for opening bottles.
    And the stud in the door jamb that the door would latch onto - it had enough of a head on it w/ sharp edges that bottle caps came off easy.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    I have to explain to my students what a typewriter is and what a phone booth was.  In fact, most of them have never used a pay phone!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    0patience said:
    And the stud in the door jamb that the door would latch onto - it had enough of a head on it w/ sharp edges that bottle caps came off easy.
    Of course, the stud driving the car was supposed to be able to pop’em off with his teeth......   :#
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    0patience said: loop
    And cars came with ash trays and lighters. 
    And bench seats without seat belts.

Yakster said:
    And bench seats without seat belts.
    That's how the girlfriend could sit close. Bucket seats ruined that!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you’re losing hair on your head and it’s growing out your ears and nose. 
    Rhamlin said:
    When you’re losing hair on your head and it’s growing out your ears and nose. 
    I can't grow a beard to save my life, but the ears and nose, no problem.
    And then I get those that curl a little and drive me nuts.
    Get hit with a 2x4 or pluck a nose hair. Tough call.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: