Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Two Truths and a Fiver

YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been kicking around an idea for a new forum game for forum regulars and people on the good trader's list:  Two Truths and a Fiver.  It's basically the Two Truths and a Lie game where The first person will post three statements and the next person will have to guess which one is not factually correct.  I'm thinking:

1. Only one person gets to guess since it gets pretty easy after the first guess.
2. If the second person correctly guesses the fabrication, the first person sends them a fiver and it becomes the second person's turn to post three statements
3. If the second person fails to correctly guess, they're skunked and the turn passes to them without any cigars being sent.

So, what do youins think?  Sound like a good game?  Let me know and I'll think of three statements to post to kick this off.
I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Comments

• HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    You could just have people PM you answers and just have the winner be the first one with the correct answer, that would at least eliminate the get nothing and possibly have to send something out.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea! 
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, let's kick this off.  I'm going with the original rules as posted, one person guesses because I don't want to have to deal with PMs and it's more interesting this way (I think).  Let's see how it goes.

1. I love broccoli
    2. I love cilantro
    3. I love cauliflower

• Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay Chris, I’ll play. 

#2 is the lie.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3 is the lie @Yakster
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 is a lie
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

Okay Chris, I’ll play. 

#2 is the lie.

Good job, Bryson, you correctly picked the fiver, I'll get your prize package out to you, probably early next week due to the holidays.

I do not love cilantro.  It's probably been in the last 10 years that I've been able to tolerate cilantro from what was once a deep revulsion to now a quiet acquiescence. Fresh cilantro has a soapy, perfumey quality that really used to repulse me.  I guess it's a curse of my European ancestry.

HuffPost said:
    Cilantro Aversion Linked To Gene For Smell, New Study Finds. ... One of those genes is OR6A2, which is very sensitive to the aldehyde chemicals that give cilantro its distinctive flavor. Eriksson says that nearly half of all Europeans have two copies of this variant, and of those people, 15 percent reported a soapy taste. Sep 20, 2012

Awesome. Thanks Chris. So let me see if I can paraphrase the rules. I post three statements. Two of which are true and one is false. Only the first person to guess the false statement gets to play. Right? 
    @Yakster
    The way I envision it is a one player game.  The first person to guess either correctly identifies the false statement and wins the fiver or they miss and the turn passes to them.  I just ignored any subsequent guesses for the pilot run.

I'm open to modifications, if you want to allow multiple guesses, but since there's only three statements this is going to be a quick game, much quicker than the others and I'm not sure we can sustain it if there's always a winner.  Let me know what you think, or how you want to play it.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Penthouse is not a book.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thing I'm not playing

3. My French teacher gave me his panties as a graduation gift.
    FIFY
    A little dirt never hurt
    Yakster said:
    The way I envision it is a one player game.  The first person to guess either correctly identifies the false statement and wins the fiver or they miss and the turn passes to them.  I just ignored any subsequent guesses for the pilot run.

I'm open to modifications, if you want to allow multiple guesses, but since there's only three statements this is going to be a quick game, much quicker than the others and I'm not sure we can sustain it if there's always a winner.  Let me know what you think, or how you want to play it.
    I currently have no recommendations for any changes. Your game, your rules.

My facts:

1. I drive a Lexus
    2. My birthday is in July 
    3. I hate pickles 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Yakster said:
    Okay Chris, I’ll play. 

#2 is the lie.

Good job, Bryson, you correctly picked the fiver, I'll get your prize package out to you, probably early next week due to the holidays.

I do not love cilantro.  It's probably been in the last 10 years that I've been able to tolerate cilantro from what was once a deep revulsion to now a quiet acquiescence. Fresh cilantro has a soapy, perfumey quality that really used to repulse me.  I guess it's a curse of my European ancestry.

HuffPost said:
    Cilantro Aversion Linked To Gene For Smell, New Study Finds. ... One of those genes is OR6A2, which is very sensitive to the aldehyde chemicals that give cilantro its distinctive flavor. Eriksson says that nearly half of all Europeans have two copies of this variant, and of those people, 15 percent reported a soapy taste. Sep 20, 2012
    I'm one of those that gets the soapy flavor. There is another plant with a similar flavor called culantro, but it doesn't do the soapy crap. Look it up. Your salsa will thank you.

(Most people can't tell the difference, and they get sold as the same thing quite often.)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Bump. 

Which one is the lie and Win a prize if correct? If wrong, no cigar. Either way you’re up next.

My facts:

1. I drive a Lexus
    3. I hate pickles 
    Bump.

Come on! Doesn’t anyone want to play? 
    Just bought my tickets for the Michael Buble concert.

And you hate pickles.
    peter4jc said:

And you hate pickles.
    Peter is this your answer to my post?
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. I drive a Lexus
    3. I hate pickles 
    I'm guessing no Lexus.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    Yes.  Bryson hates pickles.
    peter4jc said:
    Yes.  Bryson hates pickles.
    Sorry Peter, this is a true statement. I despise pickles with a passion. The statement that is false is “I drive a Lexus.” I actually drive an Infiniti and a Dodge. Also, my Bday is in July. So, you did not win a cigar but you are up to post 2 true statements and one false statement. Thank you Peter for stepping up and playing. 🙂
    edited December 2018
    BKDog said:
    1. I drive a Lexus
    3. I hate pickles 
    I'm guessing no Lexus.
    Sorry BKDog but Peter came it with a response first even though you are correct.
    Ships tomorrow, Bryson @Significant3