Home Cigar 101

cigar vs cigar

GlassjoeGlassjoe Posts: 25
Hello,  I'm new to this forum and was wondering if there was a section that compaired cigars head to head for a potential winner .maybe a list of contenders and have people vote on sudden death matchups to declare a champ. best of Top ten conneticuts or full flavor vs mild something like that . we could do one a month give everyone time to smoke and compare both cigars . or maybe it has been done already IDK. 
'I think,' said Christopher Robin, 'that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.'

Best Answer

Answers

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    5 Vegas Gold  versus  ???????? 
  • GlassjoeGlassjoe Posts: 25
    edited December 2018
    Bob_Luken said:
    5 Vegas Gold  versus  ???????? 
    Never had one , sounds good. maybe  vs a camacho connectticut?

Post edited by Glassjoe on
    'I think,' said Christopher Robin, 'that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.'
    price should be like a weight class.  or maybe give a handicap like sandbags in horse racing.
  • firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don’t call him FiveVegasLuken for nothing
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don’t call him FiveVegasLuken for nothing
    Me! Not me. I was trollin my buddy @jd50ae! Thanks for makin me explain the joke though. Thanks a lot.   

Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glassjoe said:
    Hello,  I'm new to this forum and was wondering if there was a section that compaired cigars head to head for a potential winner .maybe a list of contenders and have people vote on sudden death matchups to declare a champ. best of Top ten conneticuts or full flavor vs mild something like that . we could do one a month give everyone time to smoke and compare both cigars . or maybe it has been done already IDK. 
    I like the idea, welcome to the forum @Glassjoe.

Why do they call him FiveVegasLuken?
    A little dirt never hurt
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone knows it's CincoVegasLuken!
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Glassjoe said:
    I like the idea, welcome to the forum @Glassjoe.

Why do they call him FiveVegasLuken?
    They’re picking on him. Not a lot of Cinco Vegas action on this forum. JD is the exception, he is more than likely the cause of the cinco Vegas gold shortages.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comparing cigars is like comparing steaks.
    Who's is better? According to who?
    I can give 5 guys the same cigars and have them smoke them and then give another 5 guys the same cigar and the results will most likely be completely different.

Just like reviews on cigars.
    Out of the ton of reviews of cigars, don't believe any of them, cause they aren't you.
    They are someone else and their tastes are different.

I hate crap like broccoli and brussel sprouts and some guys love them.
    Does that mean they are wrong? Nope, just that they have different tastes.
    And how long between cigars will make a difference. Clean palette and all.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony’s right. Just for fun watch some of the YouTube reviewers. After the 4th video and 4 completely different cigars you will notice it’s the same review over and over. Try different brands and blends for yourself and find what you like. Don’t get caught up in what others think.
    vannilla is a bit strong dont they come in honey?
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....and Russian Cream....don't tell Mueller.....
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I've never watched a review to see if the cigar is good or not. It has always been about the profile for me, if it's too mild it doesn't suit my needs, and if it's infused with something that tastes like it came out of grandpa's closet, also not suitable. If I am looking for stronger cigars with a full body and peppery notes, I want to know if that cigar delivers or not. There are bad reviews, and there are really bad reviews. If you search around you can find at least a couple reviewers who are on top of things.

Comparing two cigars against each other fits more into the category of "if it's good or not", which is based on opinion mostly, and that varies from person to person. If you wanted to pick two cigars to see if the profile of each lives up to its name, I can understand the desire for that, I guess. It wouldn't really be a comparison, though. You could then just decide to pick one to profile at a time or seven if you feel like it.

You can verify how valid opinions are from the vast majority of people by checking any reviews online and you will find everything from, "It's freaking fantastic@wow!" to "This is total crap", and that's pretty much why the idea of comparing cigars, although it's a noble pursuit, ends up being not useful.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    Wrong!
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong!

Except for vanilla cigars that come in pouches. Of course.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    There you go
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only worthwhile flavored cigars are the Drew Estates coffee infused. Besides the coffee flavor they are a decent cigar.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoke what tastes good to you.  I get a lot of good natured (I hope) razzing about smoking an occasional Victor Sinclair.  I just tell them what I told one of my ex-wives about my reading Playboy magazine (for the articles, of course), someone else besides me is reading the magazine because they don't stay in business with just me.

In the interest of full disclosure, I even have a small humidor with flavored cigars!