Home Non Cigar Related

Opioid Epidemic

13»

Comments

• Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the article they will just call the cops unless it's some huge amount
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think pot was legal around here. My stepson has pointed out a bunch of grows that people have made little or no effort to hide.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Our s h i t t y little town has made it illegal to have a shop in the city limits that sells pot.
    Meanwhile, the adjacent towns are making bank on pot shops.
    Geniuses.  
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    edited September 2018

Cannabis-infused coffee: Will it go mainstream?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5823388845001/?#sp=show-clips

Go team.

I have a patient with end stage cystic fibrosis.  He isnt even 30 yet, he fights for every breath he takes.  He is in massive pain that not even Morphine can control.  He was sent home by his doctor to prepare for the "End".  He is delusional most of the day, yet has what alcoholics refer to as a moments of clarity.
    During those moments, he begs me to help him end his life.
    I could very easily get enough fentanyl to kill a herd of elephants......but I dont know what the right thing to do is.
    I want to help, but I'm not sure I should.

What is the difference between "Right" and "Good"?

What would you do?

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a tough call brother,  no known cure for cystic fibrosis.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a decision I could do without. Good luck, Jeff, figuring out what to do. Too bad your client didn't prepare before becoming delusional. My father-in-law had a stash of pills that he eventually used to end his life when his health was bad. I'm not against physician assisted suicide if there are safeguards and it doesn't end up with the physician getting charged with murder.... The law needs to change.
    edited December 2018
    I have thought about being prepared.
    I could never ask, unless I lived in a state where doctor assisted suicide is legal. At that point in time is it really suicide?
    The laws have to change so people of conscience are not put in your position.
    I also have a living will.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    In my mind that is still suicide since it was your decision.  Same as jumping off a building - it's not the jump that kills you.

Having said that, I think that doctor assisted suicide should be legal.  If someone is in enough pain to want that, why make them suffer?
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
    There are always victims like that.   It's the people that really need them that suffer the most from the war on drugs.
    That's really sad.

edited December 2018

Hi James,

We’ve made history!

Today, the 2018 Farm Bill was signed into law, making hemp completely and permanently federally legal for the first time in over 40 years.

We would like to offer our most sincere gratitude to the incredible leaders and organizations in the hemp industry that have led the charge. This includes our colleagues at the U.S Hemp Roundtable as well as our friends with the National Hemp Association, the Hemp Industries Association, Hemp History Week, and VoteHemp. These organizations have all demonstrated an unwavering commitment to pushing forward hemp legalization, and this day truly would not have come without them.  
    leaves_hemp-hooray_1200x400
    read-more-cta
    To think it was made illegal so William Randolph Hearst could make money on paper products from trees.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a patient with end stage cystic fibrosis.  He isnt even 30 yet, he fights for every breath he takes.  He is in massive pain that not even Morphine can control.  He was sent home by his doctor to prepare for the "End".  He is delusional most of the day, yet has what alcoholics refer to as a moments of clarity.
    During those moments, he begs me to help him end his life.
    I could very easily get enough fentanyl to kill a herd of elephants......but I dont know what the right thing to do is.
    I want to help, but I'm not sure I should.

What is the difference between "Right" and "Good"?

What would you do?
    Gosh, that is a tough one.  A couple days ago my son called, he told me that he had to put his 14 year old dog down she had cancer and would be in major pain for whatever time she had remaining. Putting her to sleep was the right thing to do for her.  Pets are loved ones also, right?
    RIP Jewls.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just going to say the same thing as @Diver43 said. I had to put down my dog a few weeks ago. Why is it you can put a beloved pet out of pain but we let people suffer in such a horrible quality of life when they are at the end anyway. Jeff, I know what you want to do in your heart but you have to be willing to face the consequences that could follow. I wish there was an easy answer to your question, but there really is no answer. Each individual has to make that decision for themselves. Sorry Brother that you're in such a spot. Hopefully God will take him soon.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:

Hi James,

We’ve made history!

Today, the 2018 Farm Bill was signed into law, making hemp completely and permanently federally legal for the first time in over 40 years.

We would like to offer our most sincere gratitude to the incredible leaders and organizations in the hemp industry that have led the charge. This includes our colleagues at the U.S Hemp Roundtable as well as our friends with the National Hemp Association, the Hemp Industries Association, Hemp History Week, and VoteHemp. These organizations have all demonstrated an unwavering commitment to pushing forward hemp legalization, and this day truly would not have come without them.  
    leaves_hemp-hooray_1200x400
    read-more-cta
    To think it was made illegal so William Randolph Hearst could make money on paper products from trees.
    I’m admittedly ignorant when it comes to signing something into law. I get that this farm bill has been signed into law but exactly when does it go into effect?  I can’t seem to find anything on this point. 

Some bills get signed into law and take effect immediately. Others don’t take effect until some future date such as January 1, 2019 or some other arbitrary date. Can someone clear this up for me?
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not spot-on-topic, but much of this thread hasn't been, and still tangentially related.

I just saw that actor Tom Sizemore is reported as having been arrested with Meth and Xanax.  

He's a grown man!  For goodness sake, what would possess a grown man to do meth, and / or Xanax?!  I know, the Xanax is for when you crash after the meth, etc.  But seriously, how stupid is that?  

Meth!  

"Hey, I know!  I'm gonna fry my lungs, heart, kidneys, liver and brains all at once so I can experience the 'high' of grinding my teeth and feeling my heart pound while I shake like a dog shytting razor-blades.  How cool is that?"

Sheesh.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    @Amos_Umwhat

I bet he felt like a shaken up bottle of champagne with the court half way out.
     :D  :D:D

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doctor-assisted suicide is such a sticky wicket, and I don't envy you, Jeff.  I don't think it was fair that your friend put you into this position, even though you can't blame him.  My gut feeling is to avoid doing what he's asking, mainly because there's no way to undo that action and there's no way to predict the outcomes of it; you may not have any legal ramifications but find that in hindsight it was a mistake and then you'd have to live with what you did the rest of your days.

To answer @Sleddog46's question about pet vs. humans, why one is acceptable and not the other...  God gave humans dominion over the animals, to be stewards/managers/caretakers of them, but not so over other humans - that dominion resides only with Him.

I will pray for wisdom for you Jeff, and for a graceful passing for your friend.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Painkillers for dogs, cats may be worsening human opioid crisis: study

https://www.foxnews.com/health/painkillers-for-dogs-cats-may-be-worsening-human-opioid-crisis-study

So now my dogs will have to suffer.
    edited April 2019
    If you are looking for a new doctor.
    And you call them to inquire.
    What is the first thing out of their mouths?
    Before any introductions.
    Before any questions.
    "we do not prescribe pain meds."
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    "Marijuana, marijuana, you're in here for marijuana? (I used to suck **** for coke) you ever suck **** for marijuana?  (No) Boo this man!"
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • 12Ultralimited12Ultralimited Posts: 48 ✭✭✭
    I consider myself lucky. I was clean before opioids became as widespread as they are now. I get nervous when I have had to take something for pain for various medical reasons. They still are, in some cases, the best option for pain management. Not nearly as often as prescribed, but still. I have taken them and was eager to get off them - because I know myself. The genetic component mentioned in earlier posts? It's right here, in full effect. Never had the "opportunity" to try heroin back in the day and I am forever grateful for that! I am sure I would have loved it. (for awhile)
    Coke? I didn't really like it.... just the smell of it.
    I personally can't consume THC anymore. I have nor problem with responsible use of it and strongly believe it should be studied and available for medical use more than it is now. 

Not for me. 
    I would NOT use it responsibly.

Back to opioids, I've known more than a few people who ended up in jail/prison for heroin related crimes. Their stories often began with: "I got hurt doing_______ and ended up taking more and more until I realized I could get heroin on the streets cheaper than the pills.
    Very sad and powerful stuff.

My girlfriend works at a medical clinic and the patients who are on daily pain meds often get drug tested to make sure they ARE on drugs. Too many people are faking injuries to get a script and then sell the pills for cash. Crazy.

Sorry for the ramble,

Be safe, my friends.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what 12Ultralimited said.
    Then there are those honest folk who the law really affects, because the laws are for honest people. Through no fault of their own they have to suffer because of thugs, crooked pill mills, over prescribing quacks and politicians who by definition have no idea what they are doing. Don't arrest the crooks, punish the honest people.