Home Non Cigar Related

Anyone here know a Jeff

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
Smeltzer?  Possibly Schmeltzer?

If so, please let him know that his "No cost to you" pre-approved hearing aides, back brace, knee brace and shoulder support are available from Medicare. 

Also, his 2015 Toyota's extended warranty is running out.

I know these things, because I've received, seriously, no less than 500 calls in the last 6 weeks intended to inform him of these things.

Oh, and he gave the wrong phone number to Medicare.

I can't decide if he's a complete idiot, or a total genius.  Either way, I'd prefer they called him directly, since I have no freaking idea who he is

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Anyone know Donald Malloy?  I get his texts all the time, must have had my number before me.

Back in the old days of landlines, they wouldn't reassign your number right away and either have a referral message or non-working number message.

They don't have that kind of luxury with phone numbers these days and you end up getting someone's number that was just cancelled.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    My local phone company has call block but they won't let anyone use it. So, I got a phone that has up to 500 call blocks. Like night and day. Sometimes I have to check the phone to see if it works.

Every once in awhile I turn some of the blocked calls lose. Then I pass the time by fing with them all I want. Then I block them again.

And sometimes when they are convinced I am hooked I give them my old work phone number. Sometimes I tell them to visit naked and we will talk. Make things up and brighten their day.
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We get all the time, Hello this is Janet, can you hear me ok. Your on a recorded line. Janis take me off your list. Click they hang up. I'm gonna get a loud whistle. Maybe they'll get the hint then.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:
    We get all the time, Hello this is Janet, can you hear me ok. Your on a recorded line. Janis take me off your list. Click they hang up. I'm gonna get a loud whistle. Maybe they'll get the hint then.
    There was some suites a while back where a company got dinged for recording and editing those exact conversations. You say “Yes I can hear you” and it becomes them asking their permission to charge something to your phone bill with you replying “Yes.”

Fortunately it’s a bit harder to charge things to your phone bill now.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oy!  

This sucks.  I've had that number for, well, ever since I've had a cell phone.  Blast! 

I wish they were asking for a female, then I could say something obscene, maybe they'd quit calling.  

Can't quite bring myself to say those things about "Jeff", though.  I guess I'm just not modern enough.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    The repair desk at a car dealership had printed up the phone number for the place I worked by mistake in the seventies.  We were always tempted to tell the caller that their car fell of the lift it that it's ready early, come on down, but didn't.

Where I work now, someone has my number listed for the facilities guy at HQ where I work. I get calls for people from all over and the guy never replied to my emails with his number so there's nothing I can do to help out.  I suspect he intentionally hides his number so everything is handled online.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve had some guy call my number a few times and ask “is Diane there?”  The first couple times I told him there was no one by that name at this number. Then he says, “Oh, we’ll, as long as I have you on the line....” and he goes into his sales pitch. 

Hes called again a few times only now now I tell him “yeah, hold on... I’ll get her for you”. Then I just don’t say anything else until he gets bored and hangs up. I think it annoys him a bit. 

My next step step is to copy his number and open my app called TrueCaller. I then post this guy’s number on the spam list which blocks him from calling me again from that number and alerts everyone else using the app of this new number of his. 

His calls have decreased to almost none......  
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get at least two calls a day from numbers I don't know.  I don't answer and if they don't leave a message, I block that number.

One time, they did leave a message, it was in Chinese!
    Oh, you have a package at the consulate.  I get those all the time.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2018/04/scammers-impersonate-chinese-consulate

I answer on speaker and mute and hang up 99% of the time so I don't have to dial voicemail to delete the message.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost thought it was Jeff calling me this afternoon, but it was in fact my good friend @Yakster.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    It was a misdial.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait where not talking about sketch
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Oh, you have a package at the consulate.  I get those all the time.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2018/04/scammers-impersonate-chinese-consulate
    It’s probably a bundle of cash from that Nigerian prince - got misdirected somehow to the Chinese Consulate....  :p
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smeltzer?  Possibly Schmeltzer?

If so, please let him know that his "No cost to you" pre-approved hearing aides, back brace, knee brace and shoulder support are available from Medicare. 

Also, his 2015 Toyota's extended warranty is running out.

I know these things, because I've received, seriously, no less than 500 calls in the last 6 weeks intended to inform him of these things.

Oh, and he gave the wrong phone number to Medicare.

I can't decide if he's a complete idiot, or a total genius.  Either way, I'd prefer they called him directly, since I have no freaking idea who he is

Sounds like he’s got problems