Home Non Cigar Related

Gillette, the worst an ad can get?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Non Cigar Related

Are they selling razors? Are you inspired to be a better man, or are wondering why they think it's their job to teach you morals?

(These are the same folks who charge women more than men for the same razors because they're pink razors.)  

https://youtu.be/koPmuEyP3a0

Post edited by Bob_Luken on

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just lost a customer.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I wasn't even sure if I used gillette razors. I had to go look in my bathroom to be sure. Yep,  I've used the cheap Gillette razors for decades. A dozen or more per bag. Best bang for my buck. But now they have me thinking of looking for a different option because, dog-gone-it if they don't have the arrogance to call  their razor buying customers out for being bad men. 

I wonder how this approach would work for beer ads?

"Hey you, you drunken wife-beating loser,.... be a better man."  

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, let's hate on an ad that simply asks us to be decent people.  That's worth not being a customer.

Honestly, I don't get people.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    So the women kissing/ touching the mans freshly shaved face with a Gillette razor is now “sexual harassment” give me a fvcking break...
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel said:
    Wow, let's hate on an ad that simply asks us to be decent people.  That's worth not being a customer.

It's not about that message. Morals are a good thing to have and kids should be taught young. That's great. It's more about the "toxic masculinity" that all the lefties want to get rid of. Google it. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a helluva squash.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    So, I had to watch it after reading all the comments.  It's thought provoking, whatever you're thinking.  

On the one hand, I have to say that much of what they're saying has needed to be said, a lot, for about the last 100 - 10,000 years.  

I think the backlash seen here is due to the outrageous extremes that this problem has provoked in the last couple years.  We're seeing; His life should be destroyed because he touched my butt 45 years ago!  Take everything he has!  Or so it seems.

It's become difficult to tell where the line is, because for one thing, it's always been different with different people, and with the new, hazy redefining some who weren't particularly offended, or innocent themselves are now suddenly offended, and they want a vengeance of some kind to be settled.  

Still, I have to applaud Gillette for trying.  The boundaries are hazy now, and people tend to take new things like this to extremes, but I have to recognize that it is also an attempt to speak truth to culture, and I have to respect that.  

Still scares me a little.  There are whole organized factions that really enjoy a little schadenfreude.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Martel said:

If the ad simply asks us (men) to be decent people, what are they really saying? They're implying that we aren't decent people. Get it? 

The ad states that some men already do the right thing, "but some, is not enough." Some? Really? Only some? Only some men refrain from sexually harassing women? Only some men would stop bullies from beating up a small child? They don't even think MOST men already do the right thing. Yeah, this ad sucks because, according to Gillette, by virtue of your maleness,........ you are most likely not a decent person.   
    edited January 2019
    It is like the NFL and a lot of TV shows. I tuned in for the escapism. I don't tune in anymore. 
    I buy razors to shave. I don't buy Gillette anymore. 
    Politics belongs in politics, and it is politics. DO NOT think for one second it isn't.

And also remember, women are never sexist, bullies or foul mouthed. Women never commit crimes against men. It is just men. At least according to politics.
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    It is like the NFL and a lot of TV shows. I tuned in for the escapism. I don't tune in anymore. 
    Politics belongs in politics, and it is politics. DO NOT think for one second it isn't.

And also remember, women are never sexist, bullies or foul mouthed. Women never commit crimes against men. It is just men. At least according to politics.
    I watched this several times now to see if I was missing something. I know I am a simpleton and just don’t read into things to deeply but I don’t see politics in this. They never said anything about women being sexist,bullies or foul mouthed. They are talking about men to man up. The division in this country/world is one of the biggest problems we will always have. Instead of conservative vs liberal, man vs woman, black vs white so on and so on we all to to be as one. Yea yea I know how corny that sounds and you guys are saying I am living in a dream world but that is how I see it. Love this thread makes people think 
    edited January 2019
    jd50ae said:

I watched this several times now to see if I was missing something. I know I am a simpleton and just don’t read into things to deeply but I don’t see politics in this. They never said anything about women being sexist,bullies or foul mouthed. They are talking about men to man up. The division in this country/world is one of the biggest problems we will always have. Instead of conservative vs liberal, man vs woman, black vs white so on and so on we all to to be as one. Yea yea I know how corny that sounds and you guys are saying I am living in a dream world but that is how I see it. Love this thread makes people think 
    You got the point and you totally missed it. IT DOES NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT WOMEN WOMENING UP. It is a totally sexist ad, men are bad, women are good by omission. It is political and sexist. Toxic masculinity, and women do no wrong, ever.
    It is a 2 way street and no one wants to admit it and talk about it.
    Finished.
    We can all have different views on this and it's all OK by me. The ad's message is good but IMHO the ad is intentionally designed to stir up backlash because of it's subtler messaging that men, as a whole, are not good enough and they need a lecture. And backlash to the backlash was in the design also. "If you reject any part of the good message then you are part of the problem."  The Kafka trap was built in. 

Summarized; Do the right thing, at the right time, for the right reasons. That includes all of us. M or F, young or old.

Why is that so hard for us?
    Fixed it.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, Gillette's blades are made in Russia, right?  The good ones anyway.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:

Summarized; Do the right thing, at the right time, for the right reasons. That includes all of us. M or F, young or old.

Why is that so hard for us?
    Fixed it.
    Sorry, I assumed that imperative.  You were probably right to spell it out, it could have been missed.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-46874617

"Gillette...the more sensitive men can get" 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    edited January 2019
    Did you notice in the Gillette ad the guy in the TV show grab the maid's behind, and the studio audience laughs and laughs? (It happens at the 20 second mark.)

Did Andy Griffith do this? Did Al Bundy do this? Who did this? 

https://youtu.be/9R6XKMMW6bU

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A strange choice of ad. I will say it gives off a vibe as casting “most” men in a bad light, without directly coming out and saying it.  While I do hold myself to a high standard of being a man, the ad seems to insinuate that is more rare than I would like to believe. My sample size is paltry in comparison to the world wide male population but most men I know and associate with seem to hold the same high standards for themselves (except maybe the Loo Crew 😂) . Makes me think the ad is off base with the vibe I get from it.  I’d say a thumbs down to that ad. While I get the message they are trying to convey, I think they did it all wrong. 

No no matter though, I use Dollar Shave Club anyhow😉And I normally don’t boycott products based on the company political agenda if I like the product. If I did, I probably wouldn’t have jack shlt. 😂
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293