Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Simple...Is it....?

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Have you folks (male, female, lgbt, old, young, don't know, don't care, up in the air, agnostic, religious, questioning, hope I didn't miss anyone) noticed nothing is simple anymore?

You can't even buy milk without questioning which and why. Even smoking a cigar, where do you light up? GOD forbid you go to the store for red meat, are you an animal (well yes)? Buying gas, low octane or high, winter additives or no. Do you recycle that Amazon box for an outgoing? Do I eat a salad because I like them, trying your best to avoid salmonella. What bar do you go to, toxic masculinity on TV or karaoke night (remember to say OUR baby). Do you buy American or the best deal at the big box store? Do you buy things because they have been politicised because your expected to, or you buy what you like, checking for recalls first. Do you measure your take out or are you glad you have something to eat at a fair price (and no dishes)? Do you get that root canal knowing it will have to be extracted in the future? Which side of the fence are you on about pot legalization? On and on and on it goes......

Don't answer the questions, most of you already get it. Just think of all the things you could add.

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    jd50ae said:

Don't answer the questions, most of you already get it. 

Name names. Tell us who "gets it" and who doesn't. Think of the fun that would be.

• Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    jd50ae said:

Don't answer the questions, most of you already get it. 

Name names. Tell us who "gets it" and who doesn't. Think of the fun that would be.

xxxxxxxxs and xxxxxxxs never get it.
  • Options
    0patience said:
    Have you changed the way you view TV?
    I got rid of cable/satellite, because I'm tired of TV shows throwing their values at me and not being able to choose.
    I now have streaming TV, where I can watch just about any show, anytime I want and if a show I don't like is on, I can find one I like.

Cable and network TV are blaming streaming TV for their failure, but it's really about people not wanting to be forced to watch certain things. 
    I have quit watching so many TV shows because they have become political in nature. I wouldn't even think about turning on one of the cnn's because their TDS has made them so biased I do not know how they can call themselves "journalists".
    I watch cop reality shows and I am amazed at the number of : if you watch them you know what I would say. 

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:

I watch cop reality shows and I am amazed at the number of : if you watch them you know what I would say. 

Shiftheads there are out there?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny, we got on a binge watching Adam 12. It reminded me how simple things were back then and how much I miss it. 

A time when a person could get call the police for help and not have to worry that at least one person would be arrested. They would usually resolve it.
    Now, it's like some of them make it a point to arrest someone when they show up.

And they have a lot of cool cars on the show. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    America has become a militarized police state, that's why. I could probably prattle on and on about this, but it all comes down to time and, as was posted earlier in the masculinity thread, my philosophy on greed. We once had Andy Griffith of Mayberry, but with time and greed, we've evolved into this Orwellian nightmare. And thus, we have countless hours of police crime programming, to condition us to accept our role as slave.

Don't get me wrong, there are still some amazing and honorable police, but their numbers are dwindling to favor equal opportunity of employment, non-discrimination, and of course, the quintessential role of combating "terrorism"™. I recall a time as a kid when my father answered the door with a revolver on his hip and it was the police and he told the cop kindly to go pound sand up his hind end. Probably a domestic disturbance call. The cop left and didn't come back. Today, that simply won't happen. We would have a team of men in black body armor, helicopters, and full CNN coverage as the "standoff continues".

I shall skip the whole psychotropic drugging topic.
    I shall also skip the medical industry, food industry, FDA, and poor nutrition topic.
    Let's militarize the police! Sure, that ought to work great.

Just look at what this country has become. This is the price of indifference and ignorance.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Government sucks. Let's put them in charge of our lives.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preach it Brother!  

Seriously, not making fun @BKDog , I thought I was the only one who talked like that.  

Not really, Webmost and others do too.  

But, watching what goes on out here and how everyone seems to accept, welcome, and vote for their own continued enslavement one tends to feel alone and lost in the madness.  It seems that people really want for "They" to be in control.  "They should do this...They should stop that...They oughta..."

OK.  I'll shut up now, y'all know the spiel, and I'm guilty too.  Dang gummint, They screw up everything!  ;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want anyone to get the impression that I think all police are bad and want to arrest everyone.
    Some of my best friends are police or state patrol.
    But the level of professionalism in police forces has pretty much dropped to an all time low. 

A city police officer was once berating a guy and the guy was just standing their staring at him. I said, "Excuse me officer" and he went off. What do you want?
    I told him I wanted him to be professional and get some training on how to deal with deaf people.

He's deaf, you moron. He is staring at you, so he can read your lips and understand what you are saying, but you are so wound up, you don't know that.
    And then he said, "And how would you know that?"
    My son is deaf, that's how I know. 

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fortunate to live in a area where my local police are about as cool and professional as it gets. Of course, just 15 miles down the road on the other hand...different story.

Anyway, I remember walking to the local gas station to buy my step mother a gallon of milk and of course, a pack (or carton) of cigarettes --at the age of 8. No ID neccessito, no problemo, easy peasy lemon squeezy. In and out, never smoked them, never got picked up by the man in the "free candy" van, no shootouts occurred, it was always normal. Plus, I was often barefoot.

Yeah, this world changes. I think once you start to recognize the changes, it's a sure sign you're getting old.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."