Home Non Cigar Related

Where do you get your news

dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
Back in the day there were 3 networks,  with the proliferation of internet 'news' you can get info from anywhere. We all know about fake news but how do YOU know your news isn't fake. We all tune in to what we want to hear but what I am interested in is do you fact check from different sources to validate the news you take as 'truth news'
A little dirt never hurt

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's getting to be a problem.
    You read an article, look at the source and think it's legit.
    Then, you find out it isn't. Or that the whole story wasn't told and it was skewed to one side.

And then you try and check the validity of it and it confuses you even more.

I think I'm at the point where I'm going to assume everything is a lie. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I hear you brother. There are so many sources for news,  left or right,  you can start to accept 'these folks' as reputable... But do to cross check?

I will lay it out there... Has our country become so polarized because there are so many 'News' outlets 'left or right' that we get locked into one or the other that we don't even look at opposing views. We hate Trump, hate Pelosi,  because we get locked into a 'news scheme' where that is the only answer.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    I hear you brother. There are so many sources for news,  left or right,  you can start to accept 'these folks' as reputable... But do to cross check?

I will lay it out there... Has our country become so polarized because there are so many 'News' outlets 'left or right' that we get locked into one or the other that we don't even look at opposing views. We hate Trump, hate Pelosi,  because we get locked into a 'news scheme' where that is the only answer.
    Unfortunately, the answer is yes.
    The news scheme, is exactly what it is. 
    The bait you into believing their side. And then when you've grown accustomed to thinking that their news isn't too swayed, they lie.
    And we fall for it. Or at least I have.
    The problem with today's society is that even if there was a real alien landing, no one would believe it until it's either too late or it's gone.

Our news has become so one sided, one way or another, that even watching video, it has been edittes or cropped to ahow the view they want.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get all the news I need from the P-herf.......er ah V-herf.
    There just doesn't seem to be ANY integrity involved in broadcast news for a long time now. The very rare occasion I actually want to hear news, I watch BBC.
    I would rather be considered stupid and uninformed,  spending my time looking at the Bum of the Week thread, reading a book, or watching a movie.
    Being shallow and self centered has its advantages.  B)
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Al Jazeera or BBC

The U.S. networks have herded the sheep and their ratings are booming. They are making fist fulls of money while the sheep argue amongst themselves. That's all of the networks. 

When this presidency is over watch how quickly everything flips. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look at Fox, then I look at the others, especially CNN, to see what the President did bad overnight.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is, on the half dozen tv  (That's where most people get their "news") stations there are no real "News" programs out there anymore....They're all a bunch of "Opinion/Entertainment/Talk" people and shows that are out there to make money for themselves, not tell you the news.....Sure there's some news mixed in there, but it gets spun into what they think matches they're trying to sell. 
    People are only going to watch ( And believe in )  what makes them feel emotionally good and justified in their own opinions. 
    We're all being played into hating the "other" side by the news/facts for nothing but ratings, money and control.

As for where I get my news.....The Onion News Network....At least they're honest in what they're doing.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the folks I know who watch the news all the time are pissed off all the time. Those folks seem to be off balance in their lives. I rarely watch the news because I don't want to be exposed to the bullshit. 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OAN, if you skip their "opinion shows" and commercials they are pretty straight forward.
    BBC to find out what they think of us. But England, like us, has lost their identity.
    The cnn's are nothing but water carriers and sycophants for the liberals.
    I get online FOX because I believe they try to be honest. 
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't trust the news.  Most current example was the teens at the lincoln memorial.  The way it was initially reported, it looked like they were being disrespectful.  I was like "F'ing Punks"....  But then days later, I saw the whole story.  Unreal.  If I was the parents of that kid, I would sue the media outlets for $100 million at an absolute minimum.    
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up until this year, I listened to NPR every day, then the Thunderbolt Network to catch G. Beck, R. Limbaugh's opinions.  Also, watched MSNBC and FOX, CNN and HLN.  I figured that by sifting and sorting through all these sources I could maybe find out a little reality.  Limbaugh informed me of the Democrats errors, and the Republican agenda, CNN the flip side of that coin, NPR has some genuine news, from time to time.  You get the picture.

After my wife died last spring, an election year in Tennessee, I just couldn't take it anymore.  So much boolshat!  I've gone into fvck-it mode.  Got rid of cable, the TV antenna got disabled by thunderstorms, and I only listen to music on the radio.  

Now I glance at the MSN news on the computer, catch a few minutes at a restaurant that has a TV, etc.  Conversations with people I know.  Mom tells me what a great job Trump is doing, my buddy Dan keeps me up to date as to the progress of his dream, i.e. Trump is impeached, Pence is implicated, and Pelosi becomes President.  (  :s  !  ) Go figure.  

Detachment.  

Zen.

:)

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, for some stupid reason need to be informed.  I do not watch the news (I will watch live broadcasts that interest me) but I read several outlets a day.  I have to read a ton due to never getting the whole story.  Like many of you stated the media has an agenda and by reading 10 stories about the same thing on various networks I get the real story.  After I have the real story I decide if I am, should, or am not offended.  I hate the news but I can't stop reading it, I have a problem.  There step one is out of the way, back to the news.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBC World News to see whats happening around the world not just the typical BS, Fox Business for business, NewsMax for hardcore right. RFDTV to keep up with the rural country.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go in spurts, watching Fox and the NPR Newshour, and checking DrudgeReport online, then a switch ger I shut down and wonder why I want to 'be informed'.  To me, that's the core question; depending on what I can do with the information, why do I want/need to 'be informed'?  I suppose, during election cycles, it's good to know what's going on (and then deceive myself into thinking my vote will make a difference).  Other than that, what's the point?  I don't know that sticking my head in the sand and ignoring what's happening in the world is good either, but nothing is actuallly impacting my life, so why do I want to know? 

So then, if I deem it worthwhile to 'be informed' then there's this; watching (or reading) the news has gotten too predictable - you know before you tune in how they're going to "report" things anyway, so what's the use.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    About two years ago I disconnected from all forms of news. I’m happier these days 
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Financial Times, and a couple of other places. 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder that if at a certain age we should stop watching the news altogether.
    There is nothing I can do about this mess being created by idiots and power hungry twits.
    So, just stop listening and enjoy yourselves. Your kids will handle it. 
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ well said.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I unplugged my TV in the 90's and never watched mainstream news, never will unless I'm at work and catch a dribble, which reminds me immediately why I don't watch TV. I subscribe to the Corbettreport(dot com) because, like my computer operating system and software, it's open source and free from the tyranny of corporate greed. I also like to hit up spaceweathernews(dot com) and suspicious0bservers(dot org) for weather and all that jazz, mostly to dispel myths and errors we commonly find in the slanted media and questionably funded science community. The Drudge Report is decent for a quick litmus test to see how bonkers the CIA media can become.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About two years ago I disconnected from all forms of news. I’m happier these days 
    I tried this for two months and it's amazing how the problems they try or do make us believe melt away. 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only news I watch is Louder With Crowder. It's more a form of entertainment than anything. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns