Home Non Cigar Related

New Honda Gold Wings

Willy_MNWilly_MN Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone here with any seat time on the new Gold Wings? Checked one out at the bike show up here a couple weeks ago, and was very impressed what I saw. Leaning that way possibly for my next scoot...

Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations.
#f**kyourhashtags

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Scary Larry a.k.a @genareddog might be able to help. 
    His family sells Honda products like ATV's, scooters, maybe even motorcycles.  https://greensburgmotorsports.com/

Image may contain sky motorcycle and outdoor
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll stick with my 91 Softail Custom. 
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Willy_MNWilly_MN Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sleddog46   I’m running an ‘06 Road King now that I dearly love. Almost 50,000 miles on it, and reliable as can be. It will be hard to switch, but this one has my attention.  B)
    #f**kyourhashtags
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wing is an incredible bike. As dependable as can be. Great suspension, powerful engine and has a couple of transmission available. Luggage space is limited. Since the motorcycle industry has been so bad the last few years they have not sold like expected. Can’t go wrong with the wing and should be able to get a good deal on them. 
    The wing is an incredible bike. As dependable as can be. Great suspension, powerful engine and has a couple of transmission available. Luggage space is limited. Since the motorcycle industry has been so bad the last few years they have not sold like expected. Can’t go wrong with the wing and should be able to get a good deal on them. 
    @genareddog  Thanks for the post! I've never been a big fan of the huge "chair" and trunk on the back of a lot of baggers. When I take the couple longer runs each summer with the Road King, I use a seat bag and luggage rack to carry the extra gear. I also travel with a pretty bare bones approach too. The rest of the time, I don't want all of the extra luggage aboard.

When I saw this model at the show, and how trimmed down it looks, it really caught my eye! What may be available for these for accessory racks, etc.? Thanks again...Jeff
    #f**kyourhashtags
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the chrome?

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    @0patience   Right there with ya...love my Road King!

#f**kyourhashtags
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Gold wings definitely look a lot better then before and have a crazy cult following but I’m still a Yamaha R1 type.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They came out with these right after I traded my Electra Glide for a BMW R1200RT, almost made me wish I'd waited.  The write ups are all very good, both Rider and Motorcycle Consumer News seemed impressed.  Lighter, faster and nimbler than previous Gold Wings.  Not as much trunk space has been the biggest complain I've seen.  I'm afraid to see one in person, I've grown to love the RT and spent considerable time and $$ getting it to fit me.  And, Honda engineering.  How could you go wrong?  I, too, love chrome, but as the saying goes, "...won't get you home."
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    My first Harley was a 350 Sprint one lunger ( 1 cylinder) and my next bike was a 79 1/2 Lowrider . It was the last year they made them with kick start and the first with electric start. This had both and was a beast. The saddle was 14 inches form the ground and I used to wonder why the rear wheel was jumping when I layed into a turn before I realized the pegs were scrapping. Still Sorry I sold that bike.
    They came out with these right after I traded my Electra Glide for a BMW R1200RT, almost made me wish I'd waited.  The write ups are all very good, both Rider and Motorcycle Consumer News seemed impressed.  Lighter, faster and nimbler than previous Gold Wings.  Not as much trunk space has been the biggest complain I've seen.  I'm afraid to see one in person, I've grown to love the RT and spent considerable time and $$ getting it to fit me.  And, Honda engineering.  How could you go wrong?  I, too, love chrome, but as the saying goes, "...won't get you home."
    @Amos_Umwhat  I was surprised at how it grabbed my attention. Like I said, I've never been a fan of the styling because of all the luggage I would never use.

Been looking into some of the BMW stuff as well. How has the reliability been for you with the RT? I hear a lot about reliability problems with BMW, but the guys I know that ride them don't seem to have many problems. They make some great bikes too.
    #f**kyourhashtags
    Sleddog46 said:
    My first Harley was a 350 Sprint one lunger ( 1 cylinder) and my next bike was a 79 1/2 Lowrider . It was the last year they made them with kick start and the first with electric start. This had both and was a beast. The saddle was 14 inches form the ground and I used to wonder why the rear wheel was jumping when I layed into a turn before I realized the pegs were scrapping. Still Sorry I sold that bike.
    @Sleddog46  The old Lowrider sounds like it was a great bike! My fiance and I are working on selling our individual houses and buying a place together. Once we get settled in, and I have a shop again, I'd love to pick up an older bike or two and fix them up. Just something about how much more mechanical it was to operate the older machines. B)
    #f**kyourhashtags
    14"?  That's gotta be a typo...
    No typo, why do you think it's called a lowrider?
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    One foot and two inch seat height?  No.  Or was it a mini-bike version?  LOL....

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, in this area Harley is one of the biggest employers around and your neighbors might look at you funny if you ride anything else.

Since you're not in my area. Go for it.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel said:
    Well, in this area Harley is one of the biggest employers around and your neighbors might look at you funny if you ride anything else.

Since you're not in my area. Go for it.

My 1991 Fat Boy is from the York plant.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
    Willy_MN said:
    @Amos_Umwhat  I was surprised at how it grabbed my attention. Like I said, I've never been a fan of the styling because of all the luggage I would never use.

Been looking into some of the BMW stuff as well. How has the reliability been for you with the RT? I hear a lot about reliability problems with BMW, but the guys I know that ride them don't seem to have many problems. They make some great bikes too.
    Through the years BMW has occasionally made bikes with glitches, usually because they're out there at the cutting edge of technology, and have a tendency to deny flaws in their over-engineering efforts.  Once those things get straightened out, everything else is pretty much rock solid.  

As an example, a few years back they designed a new shaft drive system meant to never need servicing.  No way to even drain / replace the oil.  As riders started turning 50K - 100K + miles, they started realizing that despite their best efforts there really is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine.  Long since remedied.  

I love the Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA).  Push a button and you're tweaked for 2 riders, one rider, soft for slow bumpy roads, firm for go-fast.  Speaking of which, it will GO FAST!!  In a way none of my Harleys ever could, even though I swapped cams and carbs, ignition systems and tuneable exhausts.  

Which brings me to another point.  I don't work on this bike.  I have mixed feelings about this.  I used to take my Super Glide FXR (26 inch seat height) apart pretty much every winter and was able to service or repair pretty much every last bit of it.  I'm not even going to try such things with this bike.  As with nearly everything automotive, we're literally into next-century technotronics.  I know my limits.  

Long story short, it sure is fun to ride, and I've had no issues with reliability.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willy_MN said:
    @genareddog  Thanks for the post! I've never been a big fan of the huge "chair" and trunk on the back of a lot of baggers. When I take the couple longer runs each summer with the Road King, I use a seat bag and luggage rack to carry the extra gear. I also travel with a pretty bare bones approach too. The rest of the time, I don't want all of the extra luggage aboard.

When I saw this model at the show, and how trimmed down it looks, it really caught my eye! What may be available for these for accessory racks, etc.? Thanks again...Jeff
    Look at Honda accessories and kuryakyn. Those are the 2 companies that are going to have the most out for the wing. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverse is a cool option the H folks never considered.
    A little dirt never hurt
    Sleddog46 said:
    No typo, why do you think it's called a lowrider?
    Not a typo?  Must be old age memory-shifting then.
    I believe the Dan Gurney Alligator did have a 14" seat height.  There may have been a Low Rider with 24", my memory says 26, but 14 would have had to have been a one-off aftermarket custom, or run over by something big.  Sure you didn't typo 24 into 14, @Sleddog46 ?

I believe the Dan Gurney Alligator did have a 14" seat height.  There may have been a Low Rider with 24", my memory says 26, but 14 would have had to have been a one-off aftermarket custom, or run over by something big.  Sure you didn't typo 24 into 14, @Sleddog46 ?
    The Alligator was 18" seat height...had to Google it as I hadn't heard of it!

#f**kyourhashtags
    Willy_MN said:

Through the years BMW has occasionally made bikes with glitches, usually because they're out there at the cutting edge of technology, and have a tendency to deny flaws in their over-engineering efforts.  Once those things get straightened out, everything else is pretty much rock solid.  

As an example, a few years back they designed a new shaft drive system meant to never need servicing.  No way to even drain / replace the oil.  As riders started turning 50K - 100K + miles, they started realizing that despite their best efforts there really is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine.  Long since remedied.  

I love the Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA).  Push a button and you're tweaked for 2 riders, one rider, soft for slow bumpy roads, firm for go-fast.  Speaking of which, it will GO FAST!!  In a way none of my Harleys ever could, even though I swapped cams and carbs, ignition systems and tuneable exhausts.  

Which brings me to another point.  I don't work on this bike.  I have mixed feelings about this.  I used to take my Super Glide FXR (26 inch seat height) apart pretty much every winter and was able to service or repair pretty much every last bit of it.  I'm not even going to try such things with this bike.  As with nearly everything automotive, we're literally into next-century technotronics.  I know my limits.  

Long story short, it sure is fun to ride, and I've had no issues with reliability.
    Great info, Sir...thank you for taking the time! I will have to test ride the BMWs as well. B)
    #f**kyourhashtags
    BTW, @webmost is probably the most knowledgeable guy here regarding all things motorcycle.

Now that you all have blown the cobweds from my head I think it was 18 inches. My appologies.
    Sleddog46 said:
    Now that you all have blown the cobweds from my head I think it was 18 inches. My appologies.
    I hear there's an opening at CNN.  LOL. 

But you wouldn't fit in because you admit it when you find out the facts don't line up.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    And here I thought I had gone out of ancient times when I went from a carb Harley to an EVO fuel injected Harley.
    The difference was night and day. No more fiddling with the choke, waiting for it to warn or or having it cough and sputter until it warmed up.

@genareddog
    Love kuryakyn stuff. They have a ton of Harley add ins.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.