Home Cigar 101

Purchased a used humidor

VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I got a humidor for Christmas. It said that it held about 25 cigars, which is really about 5 Churchill's LOL. So I purchased 75 count humidor, but after a couple of online buying binges, that one is full now too. So I was looking for something bigger. I came across a unique antique looking humidor on OfferUp. Guy wanted 35 bucks for it.

Yes, I know I know. But it has a xikar digital hygrometer, so I figured what the hell? If this box is a **** at least I still have the hygrometer. By the way here's a picture of the box. 

It's about 12 by 18 by 9. Should hold hundreds of cigars easily. 

So I got a brand new sponge and some distilled water and wet down all of the insides, including the tray. I did not moisten the top of the box because it's obviously not Spanish cedar. I know there are varying series about whether you should do this, but I decided to. I then put about a cup of water in the bottom and I closed the lid. 

After about two hours, the RH was under 40%. Yes, I know that I'm not supposed to open the lid again, but since I suspected this thing of not being a very good humidor, I figured I'd check it out. By the way, the RH in my house is about 15%. I live in Vegas.

Clearly, this thing won't hold humidity. I only took a shot because I thought maybe if I got the wood full of moisture, it would expand and start holding humidity. Obviously, that's not going to be the case. I mean, I'll check it out in a few days to see if it starts climbing back up, but I'm not optimistic.

Here are a couple of close-ups showing how the lid sits on the box. It's easy to see that there is a gap. I saw this when I purchased it, but I took a chance anyways because of the price.

so I'm thinking that rather than **** with silicone or trashing the whole thing, I would have fix a rubber seal to the outside edge sort of how a refrigerator works. I'm sure I could find one narrow enough to fit and the lid is heavy enough that gravity would ensure it actually seals, and I wouldn't have to make any mods that would require woodworking skills.  A black one would let it blend right in to the rest of the piece so you wouldn't even notice it.

is there anything that I'm not thinking of? Is there a big downside to doing it this way? Also, was wondering if I should get some Spanish cedar planks and a fix them to the underneath inside of the lid.

I really want this thing to work. First, it's huge. Secondly, I think it's really cool, but most of all, my wife really hates it. She says it reminds her of a baby coffin.

Thanks!
Don't look ↑

Comments

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off Welcome to the forum @VegasFrank Great looking humidor. I ran into this same problem when I got mine. Your on the right path just give it time. Wipe it down and put a cup of distilled water it in and let it set. My humidor took 5 days before the humidity went up. Search this forum and YouTube for more tips.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could add some painters tape around the seal to help. Looks like a hundred count humi, so you will get around 70 in there. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the guy was serious until the baby coffin crack. Welcome the the forum @VegasFrank

Where did we put that thread on ****ed up humidors @Amos_Umwhat
    A little dirt never hurt
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    I thought the guy was serious until the baby coffin crack.
    Lol...she really said it bro. 
    Don't look ↑
    Thanks everyone...letting it sit.  Will check it next weekend and post an update.  I guess painters tape would work...last resort?  
    Don't look ↑
    Yea, let it sit. It has a lot of humidity to absorb, the desert is a tough environment for a wood humi.
    A little dirt never hurt
    Did that the moment I got it home.  No light leakage and yes, the flashlight was on... :D
    Don't look ↑
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VegasFrank I rather like the looks of that baby coff- I mean, humidor. :D

I really had nothing else to add except to suggest buying a Coleman Xtreme cooler and Boveda packs in the meantime. because, if you end up sticking around here very long, you're probably gonna need it and there's nothing else better.

Okay, well I'm sure there's something better, like having a full body massage from a group of beautiful ladies in bikinis, or a brand new Lamborghini being out west where you are and everything and perhaps a few million dollars to spend on drugs and hook- ehem, I mean "entertainment". But, as far as cigars go, yeah. Nothing better.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's to you Mr. Luken

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

Lol!  Thank you, Bob, for the sound advice.  I already have a tupperdor for my overflows and a 50 count wooden humidor that I've been running for a few weeks.  You are right, keeping humidity takes some effort with that thing. I have one of those plastic xikar jobbies with the beads in it for hydration.  looks like I'm going to have to rehydrate it about once every 6 weeks or so, probably more in the big box.

I guess it's more about the journey than the destination for me LOL. I'm a sucker for pain.

Don't look ↑
    I'm a sucker for pain.

🤣 so how long you been married?
    19 years
    Don't look ↑
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    19 years
    If you would have murdered her instead of marrying......you would be out by now.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guitarded said:
    19 years
    If you would have murdered her instead of marrying......you would be out by now.

That's the coffee talking. :D
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    Update...

Opened the humidor on Friday and the humidor was 63 percent. Sponge on top shelf was dry and just about all of the distilled water in the bottom was evaporated.

So I bought some weather stripping at home Depot.  How to play around with where to put it in what quantities to put it etc.  Re wet the SC, resoaked the sponge, and refilled the water cup.  

Checked in the morning and the rh was 75.  Time to let it sit for a week again and see how it's holding.  
    Don't look ↑
    Back down to 59%. I even had painters tape around it. @Bob_Luken I also set up a couple of Tupperdores but I'd still like to make this thing a serviceable humidor if possible.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

Although the shape of it is tapered, the actual container inside goes straight down and I assume that there's an air gap in there. If so, is this going to be a problem or is there a way to solve it?

Was wondering if I should seal the seams of the Spanish cedar with some food grade silicone or if this would not help at all or cause it to warp and become unusable.

The whole box is made of a hardwood, looks like Birch, with a veneer. the inside of the lid is not lined with Spanish cedar. Should I affix some on?
    Don't look ↑
    Keep working at it Frank.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back down to 59%. I even had painters tape around it. @Bob_Luken I also set up a couple of Tupperdores but I'd still like to make this thing a serviceable humidor if possible.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

Although the shape of it is tapered, the actual container inside goes straight down and I assume that there's an air gap in there. If so, is this going to be a problem or is there a way to solve it?

Was wondering if I should seal the seams of the Spanish cedar with some food grade silicone or if this would not help at all or cause it to warp and become unusable.

The whole box is made of a hardwood, looks like Birch, with a veneer. the inside of the lid is not lined with Spanish cedar. Should I affix some on?

Wish I could get my hands on it. Maybe do a flashlight test again with my one million lumen flashlight, maybe tap on it here or there, and while your back is turned, maybe smash it to bits. Problems solved ;)

I'm not sure what you could do about it but, tap on the wood inside to see if it sounds like there is a void.

Maybe. It shouldn't warp it any. But then again, I have zero experience with silicone sealant. 

I wouldn't add anything to the lid. However, the bottom of the humidor, the floor, may be thin. Most of them are but rest on their bottoms flat. Yours is elevated and if the 'floor" is thin or has a weak seam that could cause problems. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One word.
    Coolidor.

Desktop humis are nice, but really, none of them do a great job at holding humidity.
    Besides, opening and closing them doesn't help.

Besides my tower and overflow tupperware, there is only one desktop humi I use.
    And it only holds cigars I plan on smoking soon.
    This one.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can’t imagine why in the world you’re trying to hold so much humidity. 75% is just overkill. I use 65% Bovedas in mine which is great for smoking. If you’re using it for aging then I’d go to 70%. 

And if my smoking humidor should drop drop as low as 62% that’s all the better for smoking. Promotes an even burn with no relights required and is, all in all, a fine RH level. 
    edited March 2019
    jlmarta said:
    I can’t imagine why in the world you’re trying to hold so much humidity. 75% is just overkill. I use 65% Bovedas in mine which is great for smoking. If you’re using it for aging then I’d go to 70%. 

And if my smoking humidor should drop drop as low as 62% that’s all the better for smoking. Promotes an even burn with no relights required and is, all in all, a fine RH level. 
    I should have clarified.  I'm not trying to hold that much humidity.  I'm simply trying to hold humidity period.  70 happened to beware it stabilized.

Besides, it's always good to have a little extra in the desert. We go through stretches where the RH is in the single digits. I'm sure that'll drop me down to the low 60s in the summertime. If it's a little higher during the rainy season, I can live with it as long as it stays under 75. I rarely have to worry about smokes going out on me because I smoke them what is probably considered too quickly. 

Edit: RH has been in the thirties and forties over the last week. Right now it's 29% in my living room.I don't think 70 is too high right now but I could be wrong.

Don't look ↑
    Great update @VegasFrank,  if it will hold humidity you are gold whether its 70 or 62
    A little dirt never hurt
    Matching set