Home General Discussion

4th annual MID-WEST SITDOWN and 5th Annual Capt's BBQ!!!!!!

CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
September 6th ladies and gentlemen! With all the things that happened last year, I was unable to make it happen, but it's on for this year. I know gas is going to be a real bear this year, but hopefully this is enough notice for everyone. I can accomodate 5 people in my house, and Lisa's house (brand new construction) accross the street is available for 8 or so people.

For those who have never attended a sit-down or BBQ at my house, just ask some people who were there a few years back. Everyone went home stuffed, had great prizes, and at least 140.00 in cigar giveaways.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I must say, that sounds like quite an event. Perhaps The Event.
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭

j0z3r:
    I must say, that sounds like quite an event. Perhaps The Event.

Alex and Cigar.com have always been very generous to the Mid-West Sitdown that started back 4 years ago.  I include the free food and "beverages", and a place to stay, which makes it a great event to meet old friends and future friends.

• sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Where is this event held?
    I forgot that part!  It's in Commerce Twp Mi, at my house.  Commerce is about 45 minutes west of Detoit, in Oakland County.  Zip is 48382 if you want to map quest it.  Two years ago I had member from Florida, Ohio, Pittsburg, Illinois, North Carolina, and all across Michigan attend.  I hope to see some new faces this year. 
  • markus59markus59 Posts: 2
    as one who attended the last sitdown, I can say that it was way over the top, great food, great cigars (all the grape philly's that you could smoke, no expense spared) and great people to smoke with. This is on my calender as a cannot miss event! just kidding about the grape philly's, cigar selection was awsome.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey markus ... you just about killed that event with two simple words grape and philly.. I'm glad you cleared that up.. it' does sound like a great event..
  • twoputtstwoputts Posts: 5
    I can second everything Markus said.  The event was the highlight of the year.  Great cigars (thanks Alex), great food (thanks Capt), great comraderie, even some good beer.

TTT

Just to update you guys, the food is ordered.  I friend of mine will be here all night smoking and BBQ'ing the food for the day.  The beer is coming from the local micro-brew, but I will have a "stand-by" keg of domestic.  Prizes and cigars are starting to come in!

I hope to see some new faces this year, and hopefully some of the old!

If you guys have any questions regarding the event or lodging, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Ryan

Just got a message from Twoputts, he is bringing some of his famous home brewed Summer Brew! I can't wait. Just talked to Cybrus and a few others from the old forum, and it looks like it's a go for them! Come on guys, take a few days off work and come relax at the Capt's house!
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    hah i could make it there on one tank of gas i love volkswagens!
    DiasFlak:
    hah i could make it there on one tank of gas i love volkswagens!
    Well, come on up!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i could make it in a tank also (subaru) but i cant get the time off of work.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    A subaru eh? Never would've picked you for a tree hugger ;) ... Well my d@mn truck probably wouldn't even make it there much less on a tank of gas.
    madurofan:
    A subaru eh? Never would've picked you for a tree hugger ;) ... Well my d@mn truck probably wouldn't even make it there much less on a tank of gas.
    trees? *** the trees!! My car may be tiny but it has tons of power. 4 banger, turbo, 224 HP All wheel drive... 25mpg highway.
    You have to specify WRX when you are talking about Subarus. WRX is cool, anythign else is for tree huggers lol.
    subaru wrx?
    yup. nice little car. I cant quite justify the STI though. 300+ HP in a car that small... i admit, i may not know what to do with all of that. the car will drive better than i can.
    kuzi16:
    yup. nice little car. I cant quite justify the STI though. 300+ HP in a car that small... i admit, i may not know what to do with all of that. the car will drive better than i can.
    Thats a problem you need to fix!! I grew up drag racing and occasionally auto-crossing. I drove a corvette in high school and had a Turbo Mr2 in college that a buddy and I tore down completely and when she landed back on the street she put 344bhp down in a dyno drag race. Now my Dad and I run a 900 hp tube chasis drag car with a mid 70's Vette body. 8 second car if we had it geared for the 1/4 but 5.33 in the 1/8th. I even souped up the 74 Super Beetle I had in high school twin carbs, header, lowered it. Now I have a truck and miss the crap out of a sports car, I'm probably going to buy a tC in the next month or so just to have something fun to drive again.
    the wrx is a great car i have 2 golfs i have a regular golf and then i have a golf vr6 gti
    Guys, lets try to keep this thread on track. thanks.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Capt:
    Guys, lets try to keep this thread on track. thanks.
    Hey capt. they were just talking about how they were going to get to your place for the 4th annual MID WEST SITDOWN and 5th annual capt's BBQ. Please forgive , these threads do get off the road all the time.
    Ok, just got the word Cusano is sending a selection of boxes again this year, and I also have a few other boxes being donated. Other prizes are coming in too.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Capt:
    Ok, just got the word Cusano is sending a selection of boxes again this year, and I also have a few other boxes being donated. Other prizes are coming in too.
    Damn, you're making me wish I could arrange a trip up there, I don't think Cusano makes a cigar I don't enjoy. Unfortunately the event is 10 days after the start of the fall semester...
    The cigars are rolling in! Monday I got two boxes from Alex, a box of 5 Vegas Classic and a box of 5 Vegas Gold. Got home from work this morning, and on the front pourch was a package including a box of Cusano 18 Conn. Robusto, C18 Maduro Toro, Habano LXI Churchill, and a box of Cusano 59 Toro Gordo! I am going to add a few boxes from my own collection to give away.
    Man Capt, I wish I could make it! You know how to throw a hell of a party.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Right now I wish I was back home in Chi-town that way I could make it up there. Sounds like a great time is going to be had.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Capt:
    The cigars are rolling in! Monday I got two boxes from Alex, a box of 5 Vegas Classic and a box of 5 Vegas Gold. Got home from work this morning, and on the front pourch was a package including a box of Cusano 18 Conn. Robusto, C18 Maduro Toro, Habano LXI Churchill, and a box of Cusano 59 Toro Gordo! I am going to add a few boxes from my own collection to give away.
    I call dibs on the leftovers.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Allright! I've mapped this shin-dig out and it's a 372 mile or 6.5 hour trip...

Even if I took my Beast of a truck at 15mpg I could make it there in ONE TANK! So this may be a possilbility

Capt. where should I look for Hotel rooms around the area? i.e. closest, nicest?

P.s. I just GoogleMapped the zip code, so depending on the size of Commerce Twp it may be a little longer... but this may definately be a possiblilty for my girlfriend and I...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Also, if anyone lives in the SouthEastern Wisconsin/Chicago/or on the way to Michigan from Wisconsin route let me know... we maybe can car pool and such...

No Serial Killers though...

Serial Rapist's PM me first...
    Lasabar:
    Allright! I've mapped this shin-dig out and it's a 372 mile or 6.5 hour trip...

Even if I took my Beast of a truck at 15mpg I could make it there in ONE TANK! So this may be a possilbility

Capt. where should I look for Hotel rooms around the area? i.e. closest, nicest?

P.s. I just GoogleMapped the zip code, so depending on the size of Commerce Twp it may be a little longer... but this may definately be a possiblilty for my girlfriend and I...
    We have two houses here, you can stay at one of them to save some money.