Home Non Cigar Related

Robo Calls and Spam

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in Non Cigar Related
Robo Calls.
OK. So Verizon and one or two carriers are now giving lip service to do something about it.
The carriers could stop all of it over night if they really wanted to.
So, it is just words.

Spam.
Email services could stop it overnight if they wanted to.
But I honestly believe at least one particular service is in cahoots with the jerks doing it.
The so called blockers they provide are a joke.
They know where the garbage originates and do nothing.

Comments

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get a bunch of those damn calls everyday, its just ridiculous!
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I started getting spam with the word "PayPal" in the return address 2 and 3 times. Was getting up to 5 a day. No matter how I blocked them they got through.
    Complained to PayPal and the response was "can't o anything about it". Let me see if I understand, someone is using "PayPal", your business name, and you can't/won't do anything about it?
    I threatened to forward all correspondence to what ever agency I could find, anywhere. The fing emails stopped. I don't know if it was the implied threat or they just removed their heads from the dark space. Or, dare I say, they were the ones sending them.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drives me nuts!
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We get our share of robo calls. I have found that if I pick up the phone and don't say anything the auto robot usually disconnects. People we know will usually id themselves.  I think the bot is programed to respond to a voice. Sure wish I could send a bolt of electricity through the line and fry the bot.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do the same, answer, mute, put it on speaker, then hang up. I'd rather answer than have to go in an delete Robo voice mails later.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited August 2019
    Has anyone noticed robo and other assorted pain in the butt calls have fallen off?

A few weeks ago, when there was mention of a new law dealing with them, I cleared my blocked caller list, it was a big list. I have not received one single call, of that type, since I did. And I was getting 3 or 4 a week, sometimes that many in a day.

Edited. Added....And I was getting....
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Google calls me every day.  Pain in the *ss. 

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I recently spent a few days in the hospital, and realized I received no robo calls for my entire stay. So I believe it has to do with location finder on your phone also.
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks probably don't know this yet, but all those apps they keep installing on their smart phones...aren't just for "helping you" do whatever it is you like to do. At work, they just announced a new HR app that everybody "needs" to install and use. I kindly declined, and my reason was simple: no smart phone, no app. Well, I do have one, it just sits in the truck all day and I only use it to *gasp* make phone calls.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."