Home General Discussion

Beetle pinholes but no other signs of damage

Some of my oldest cigars have perfectly round pinholes in them which I have recently learned indicate beetles. However I can't find any other signs of damage at all. The cigars don't drop any dust out of them. The humidor doesn't have any dust in it. Should I be worried? I've thrown away the cigars with pinholes, they were really inexpensive cigars anyway, and I'm freezing the rest. Am I being overly paranoid?

Comments

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freeze them and then you know you’re good. Done.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoke em. They'll only crackle a little.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Borrow @danielzreyes' X-acto knife and open one of them up for a closer inspection.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Smoke em. They'll only crackle a little.
    If you have ever in your life smoked a cigarette, you've smoked beetles. They're not gonna hurt you, just freeze what you have to keep them contained.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would definitely do an autopsy. There is evidence in there. Even if there is nothing to see, that's evidence. Too bad you already tossed 'em.

Pinholes are easy to poke into a cigar wrapper. It's not always bugs doing it. 

Also, inspect all your remaining cigars before you go to the hassle of freezing. Usually beetles chew their way out of a cigar. If I saw no other evidence in any of your other sticks,.... I wouldn't bother freezing. I'd inspect more often in the next year or so but not freeze. (I've had experience with beetles and freezing.) 

The worst thing for beetles is the heat. Keep your stash below 70 degrees. If you can't keep your stash below 70, consider a freezing regimen for all your cigars and all new purchases. Or, you could simply inspect your stash closely every week.  
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like smoking bugs.  Yum.  I'd just toss me over my neighbors fence.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.