Home Non Cigar Related

What Is Going On Over There???

peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
So back in late '17, the neighbors on both sides died, one was a widow in her late 80's, the other a gal in her early 50's w/ respiratory issues.  Both houses were empty for over a year, which was kind of nice.  A buddy I've known for over 30 years bought the widow's house last October, and the other house went into foreclosure and the bank that wound up with it let it sit for a whole year.

Finally, in Jan. of this year it went to the Sheriff's Auction, and some flipper bought it.  He hired some day-workers to rehab it and over the course of about 3mos. brought it into the 21st century.  A few weeks ago I saw the flipper-dude and spoke with him for the first time; he offered me a tour and I said sure - I was curious to see what they did.  He told me he had accepted an offer (which was about $30K more than I would've guessed) and that the new owners were a "military couple" and they were closing in a couple of weeks.

So I've been watching, wanting to meet/introduce myself to my new neighbors.  Haven't seen anyone yet.  But a couple of days ago, I noticed some black plastic on the inside of their windows that face my house.  So I went and walked around the place - the entire first floor except for a small bedroom is blacked out.

My curiosity is killing me!  I have to know!  What is going on over there???
"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Painting?
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weed
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are for sure growing weed.  You've got a grow house next door, make sure they don't tap into your electricity.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They host swingers parties.
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what you need to do Peter. Bake some cookies and go over and introduce yourself. Keep us posted
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bring coffee and cigars.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Beat me to it, Chris

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter......Quick, build a wall.
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Growing weed or cooking meth.   First one's just annoying until, as @Patrickbrick said, they tap your power.   The second has explosive potential along with all the rest if it.  You start smelling ammonia, I'd lay odds it's not sick sticks.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Columbo and Columbo II.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's just an advanced case of Peeping-tom-o-phobia?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I might, once somebody moves in.

They are for sure growing weed.  You've got a grow house next door, make sure they don't tap into your electricity.
    Their electric meter faces my house.  I'll go check to see how fast it's spinning.  Maybe the fact that they paid considerably more for the house than it's worth belies their illicit profession.

That's perfect.  Because everybody knows I love to swing.

Perhaps it's just an advanced case of Peeping-tom-o-phobia?
    Hehehe...  when we (me and my late wife) bought this house in '82, living in that house were M/M Charles Brown.  He was a retired cop and didn't like being called Charlie Brown.  Dorothy was the neighborhood-watch committee all rolled into one person; she knew everything that went on, nobody moved without her knowing about it.  At first I thought 'ugh, a nosey old woman' but then I became grateful that I had a built-in burglar alarm living right next door.  Maybe I've turned into Dorothy Brown, IDK?
    Were I the guy growing, I'd be running a couple small generators in the basement.   Muffles the sound and the power company doesn't get all curious.   
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

That's perfect.  Because everybody knows I love to swing.
    Easy on that ticker, Buster.
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Human trafficking...........

There's probably 200 Chinese girls crammed in one Room.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dexter.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meth lab!
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe making "art films"?
    That's what I'm afraid of... 'art films' with children or sex-trafficked teens.

But unless they're doing whatever it is that they are doing after midnight, I haven't seen anything at all.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or maybe they are just fumigating the house before they move in.
    maybe they don't have furnishings, yet. Including window treatments (draperies) and rather than having no covering for their windows they opted for some dark plastic film they could get cheep and not look as tacky as news papers. 

peter4jc said:

>>>Don't be afraid

But unless they're doing whatever it is that they are doing after midnight, I haven't seen anything at all.
    You're just mad you can't watch.

It is a grow house, how hard is this to comprehend?
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are assuming the worst, it’s probably just a cult.
    It is a grow house, how hard is this to comprehend?
    Might be.  But if I was building a grow house, it'd be in the basement not in the living room/dining room/kitchen.

peter4jc said:

>>>Don't be afraid

You're just mad you can't watch.

I'll just have to wait until their production makes it onto the web.
    Clearly you have 0 experience with grow houses.  It's literally the whole house, hence why you never see anyone.  They pop in randomly in the early ams to check on the plants, that's it.  
    MOW badge received.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They use grow tents these days and led grow lights. Just saying.
    Meth, well that's easy enough to get. You see the pimp mobile coming and going, they can't keep from flaunting their acquired "wealth".
    It sure would be nice if it's a prostitution ring, just for the change of pace.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    Clearly you have 0 experience with grow houses.  It's literally the whole house, hence why you never see anyone.  They pop in randomly in the early ams to check on the plants, that's it.  
    Nothing going on in the basement.  Maybe they have to wait 'til they sell their first crop before they can expand.
    They haven't moved the plants yet.  Takes a bit to get set up and get the irrigation system running.   Since they legalized it here, people have been buying up storage places and turning them into production facilities.   It's become  BIG business.

Course it could be a sleeper cell bomb factory.