Home Non Cigar Related

New cimputer hard drive

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
My son is setting up my computer with a new solid state hard drive tomorrow.
It's supposed to boot up and run faster. We'll see.
The hard drive is actually pretty small. 
Anyone running one of these solid state hard drives?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my windows laptop has a ssd and a couple of hds, ssd for os and programs, hds for files. Definite improvement. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll love it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep...faster and more reliable (no moving parts to deal with). The Rea of the "disc drive" is over...
    Don't look ↑
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you run Windows, a solid state drive is absoloolee way more better. You will be astonished how much more quickly the thing boots up. I have just such a hard drive on the laptop I am writing from now. I hit the start button on the laptop and then cycle over to the wide screen TV I use as monitor. By the time I fire up the monitor, Windows is just about ready to run. It's an intense improvement.

The only thin g is, of course, when patch patch patchitty patch Windows Tuesday requires a system reboot. But even that is faster.

If you run Linux, where you simply leave the system run all the time, then you only boot up when the power to your house goes out. So it makes no diff.

Storage, of course, is limited. If you have a big collection of files, you can either use a cloud solution (such as dropbox or etc.) or use a backup hard drive via USB (which is a wise backup to have regardless). So those special videos and music items are extra hassle. All my vids are on the Debian Linux box with two each terabyte drives. But even that has a solid state drive for system files, only because that's how the system came,,, not because it's needed.

Go for it.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thanks guys

@webmost
    I have a 1 TB regular drive that will be the slave drive for storage.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Love being able to correct spelling on my posts too.
    Oh wait, we can't do that anymore, after the edit time.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SSD's are much more affordable now than ever before, and it sure beats the pricing years ago so there's no reason not to go with them now.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."