Home Cigar 101

Pleasantly Surprised, Looking For Something Similar

ericfincher67ericfincher67 Posts: 35 ✭✭
Hello Guys

Recently I happened upon a review on a forum similar to this one of the La Aurora Escogidos.  The review was written by a regular schmuck and it was glowing, stating the accolades of this budget stick.  I ordered two boxes and have been so pleased with them;  I find that their flavor is comparable to what you’d find for $8-12 dollars at a brick and mortar but for only $2.20 per stick.

I’m wondering if you guys have any suggestions for budget-priced sticks that are also similar in flavor and construction?  I feel like I’ve found a good everyday smoke in the La Aurora Escogidos but I’m wondering if there are more out there like it?  Thought I’d save the trouble and money of trial and error by posting here first.  Thanks for your help!

Eric Fincher

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been bumping old, good threads for the newbies and b for refreshers today, check this thread for Cameroon wrapped cigars like the one you smoked.

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/897067/equivalent
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • ericfincher67ericfincher67 Posts: 35 ✭✭
    @Yakster thanks so much for that reply.  It’s very informative and helpful. 

It doesn’t necessarily have to be Cameroon Wrapper.  Just something that is budget priced and has good flavor that pretty much anyone could agree on.  

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a wide variety of cigars out there you can buy on flash sales from a handful of online vendors which would bring those cigars, which may normally be out of the budget price range back toward a more budget-friendly area like you described.
    But, as far as opinions go, I have a few less expensive ones I have relied upon and they serve my needs well. I would just add about a dollar to your estimation for some of mine. If I can get some of the cigars I smoke the most for less than $4, I am quite content.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a smoke called Chillin' Moose on CBid in the freefall auction.  Watched it go down to $1.35 a copy so I snagged a box of 20 just on the off chance.  Not a bad stick.  It'll be a good yard gar and a decent on-stream smoke I won't get too upset about when I drop it in the water.  
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey! I want to be surprised pleasantly too. So I checked. Comes in cameroon connecticut maduro and corojo. 

Which cigar is the OP talking about?

@Yakster implied it was cameroon, (Why?) and the OP @ericfincher67 kinda confirmed that but I want pics or something more to know for sure. 

And because,.... Some guys go gaga over Brazillian maduros. Myself included. And it just so happens that the maduro is Brazillian.  

Got on the bid sites last night and felt my old inclination to buy boxes blind. Must, resist, urges! 

OK,  I'll stick to fivers. 

I assumed it was a Cameroon wrapper because that's the regular version. The Maduro or Connecticut would be qualified with a label indicating that it's a Maduro or Connecticut.

I could be wrong.

Brazilian Maduro sounds good too.

edited May 2019
    Yakster said:
    I assumed it was a Cameroon wrapper because that's the regular version. The Maduro or Connecticut would be qualified with a label indicating that it's a Maduro or Connecticut.

I could be wrong.

Brazilian Maduro sounds good too.

My research (googling) shows a secondary band on each wrapper type, including cameroon. 

cameroon - blue
    Connecticut - green?
    Corojo - Also green?
    Maduro - Red in some pics and orange-ish in others. 
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
    edited May 2019
    To clarify, I ordered two boxes of La Aurora Escogidos Maduro Toro from CigarAuctioneer.com.  The Maduros do come with a secondary band that reads “maduro” in bold letters and is colored orange and maroon.  

Priced at $44.00 (pending that your bid is the only bid for the lot) I haven’t found a better value for the flavor, construction and price.  I’ve bought and smoked my fair share of budget smokes and this is the best I’ve had.  

To give you you an idea of what I’m smoking, here’s what’s in my humidor at the moment:

•Carlos Torano Signature 6x60 - I regret this purchase already.  The construction is poor (tight draw, little smoke output, flat flavor)
    •La Galera Connecticut Chaveta - Not bad but not great.  Mild flavor, good construction.
    •Padron Damaso Robusto - very good
    •Tatuaje Cojonu 2009 - excellent
    •Aganorsa Leaf Signature Series (Casa Fernandez Miami) - Excellent
    •Mi Querida Ancho Corta - Very good

Also, I’ve ordered some that are on the way but haven’t arrived yet:

•Macanudo Inspirado Black
    •La Gloria Cubana Serie R Maduro No. 4
    •Ramón Bueso Genesis The Project
    •Macanudo Inspirado Orange
    •La Gloria Cubana Coleccion Reserva

Macanudo Black and Ramón Bueso I haven’t had, but the others I’ve found to be good. 
    @Bob_Luken Yes, now that you mention it, I guess I do like Brazilian wrapped.  The only other Brazilian wrapped that I am familiar with is the CAO Brazilia Gol!, which I’ve found to be delightful. 

I may have had other Brazilian wrapped sticks before and was not aware of it.  I’ll do some research and let you know.  Thanks for your insight 
    Ok, @Bob_Luken, you score again. Äss / u / me

Sorry Bob.

edited May 2019
    Searched for “Brazilian wrapped cigars” and found these articles:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/the-cigar-from-brazil-8648 - A beautifully written article from Cigar Aficionado in 2005 which details the inception of Brazilian tobacco into the cigar industry.

https://www.famous-smoke.com/cigaradvisor/2018-top-10-brazilian-wrapper-cigars - A list of ten cigars wrapped in Brazilian leafs that should be relatively easy to find. I’ve heard of some of these but the only one I’ve tried is the CAO Brazilia.

https://www.brasilbar.com/blog/archives/cigars-brands-from-brazil - A comprehensive list of Brazilian wrapped or Brazilian puros brands.  I’ve never heard of nor tried any of these.
    I wasn't looking to prove anybody wrong. LOL  Just seeking answers because I'm always looking for a a great price on a decent smoke. Or a decent price on a great smoke. 

These maduros are on my radar now for sure.
    But, as far as opinions go, I have a few less expensive ones I have relied upon and they serve my needs well. I would just add about a dollar to your estimation for some of mine.

@BKDog I’m dying to know the names of those sticks that you are referencing.  Please share!
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you read through this?

Yakster said:

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    @peter4jc Yes, I did.  La Palina Classic, Bolivar 1895 and Flor de Ybor City all stood out as something to look into.  
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a handful of the La Aurora at Muletown, have smoked a couple and thought they were decent. Don't recall which wrappers but they were well constructed.
    A little dirt never hurt
    dirtdude said:
    I picked up a handful of the La Aurora at Muletown, have smoked a couple and thought they were decent. Don't recall which wrappers but they were well constructed.
    friends GIF
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The LGC Coleccion Reserva you purchased is a great smoke and very popular amongst those on this forum 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

edited May 2019
    @NorCalR1 I’m smoking one right now, a robusto, and I’m reminded of precisely why I fell in love with this cigar.

The resting smoke from this thing is a lovely floral aroma and sharp!... it really sets the nostril hairs on end when you waft it.  

Its flavor has a smoothness to it but there’s also some real strength that comes in behind.  Such an overall great cigar for anytime of day.
    Bob_Luken said:
    dirtdude said:
    friends GIF
    Looking through this pile of bands next to my smoking chair the only La Aurora is a Broadleaf, it was actually better than average. Am sure I have smoked a couple others but have no evidence to prove it Sherlock.
    A little dirt never hurt
    dirtdude said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    dirtdude said:
    friends GIF
    Looking through this pile of bands next to my smoking chair the only La Aurora is a Broadleaf, it was actually better than average. Am sure I have smoked a couple others but have no evidence to prove it Sherlock.

Maybe these are the correct specifics for your particular La Aurora. 

La Aurora Preferidos Diamond CT Broadleaf 

Blind Cigar Review La Aurora  Preferidos Diamond Broadleaf Toro
    That is exactly the band I have, pretty good smoke, may have lost the foot band but how do you match those up with this pile of bands next to my smoking chair. Am sure I smoked one in Houston after the Muletown..
    A little dirt never hurt
    That's why we call him Sherlock.

edited June 2019
    **UPDATE**

A new friend of mine at work gifted me a couple of his sticks.  One of those was the Cusano Nicaragua.  I had extremely low expectations for this cigar.  I lit it up late a few nights ago and I was blown away by its incredible flavor.  It was very smooth and creamy and had a little pepper bite to it.

Later I read that Davidoff purchased the Cusano line in 2009 and totally reworked the blends.  No wonder I was surprised!

I’ll definitely be buying some of these!
    The Cusano blends are overlooked. I got a box of the cameroons way back when. They're nice. 
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the original Cusanos, even though short-filler.  MC was nice and at a good price.  Macanudo Black seemed way better than Orange.  I was delighted to try the Red.

Looking for a good budget smoke?   Try Alec Bradley's American Spirit in Habano leaf.  Best smoking mixed-filler I've tried.  The Maduro was lacking in flavor.  

If you like Brazilian,  try CAO Zocolo.   I found it more pleasing than Brazilia, which is always in my humidor.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.