Home Cigar 101

Question About PG

ericfincher67ericfincher67 Posts: 35 ✭✭
I read somewhere that you can coat the interior of your humidor with propylene glycol and it will help to regulate the RH at 70%.  Is this true?

If so, do I use all PG or 50/50 distilled water and PG?

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just bought a crapload of Bovedas and some beads.  Why in the world are you dicking around with this other stupid shìt?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • ericfincher67ericfincher67 Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Just experimenting.
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just experimenting.
    Don’t over think it 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

edited June 2019
    I bought 69% Bovedas but they are putting out 72-73% in my tupperdores and humidors.  Just trying to find a perfect balance 
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes weeks to balance out RH with cigars inside roughly anything 1 sq. ft. or larger and that's if you keep the container sealed most of the time. Boveda works exceptionally well at regulating humidity, but it's not a magical device which will instantly grant you perfect RH. Even in a smaller container, it takes a few days unless you've already got your cigars at the same humidity as the Boveda. You can be assured that your environment humidity and temperature will play a role to some degree, and depending on where you live, use the correct Boveda to get you where you want to be. For example, in the summer it gets more humid for me up in the NE so I generally run 65% Boveda to keep me between 65-68 for the coolidors. With the Coleman coolers, I run 69% and live with the slight variance and try not to stress over the small stuff because it's airtight and will keep steady. If I run in the winter in, say the large wooden humidor I built, I will use the Oasis and Humi-Care (which run with gel beads not the green foam ****), and even though I get a variance of 3 RH% between the top and the bottom, I know it's because the air isn't circulating at that particular time and will even out at each cycle when they kick on.
    I wouldn't get into the glycol and water mumbo-jumbo and go mixing it and worrying about every tick of RH if I were you. Get a quality digital hygrometer and calibrate it, add the right amount of Boveda (more is always fine) and any necessary air circulation, then RELAX. 
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    I say you should start yet another pointless thread to help us all understand that you don't understand.

Oh wait, you already did.
    edited June 2019
    @peter4jc hey man I’m just trying to get a feel for this.  You don’t have to be rude and moreover you don’t even have to respond if you don’t have anything helpful to say.

Thank you for all for your help
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rude is Peters middle name......I'm not sure what it really is, but it won't help with your current "issue" knowing it.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    @peter4jc hey man I’m just trying to get a feel for this.  You don’t have to be rude and moreover you don’t even have to respond if you don’t have anything helpful to say.

Thank you for all for your help
    Hey man, I get it. I used to ask a ton of questions. I wanted to try to figure it out. But,....... 

If peter said it, you can bet there were a dozen of us thinkin' it.

This forum has a certain sense of humor or tone that you should take into account if you want to enjoy your time here.

Join a vHerf or show up at a herf to really get to know us.

Here's a hint; there's a BIG difference between rudeness and trying to squeeze a newb into a forum's general way of doing things.  Maybe you don't see what you're doing as rudeness to a group of people you know nothing about.  Maybe you don't realize that my (supposed) rudeness is an attempt to make you less rude.  Maybe you don't realize that you don't know me well enough to know I'm not being rude.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bad side wanted to reply yesterday, but my good side pulled a knife on my bad side. Bad side got in a few keystrokes this morning, but good side sliced him and even made him edit some of that crap. Good side would like very much for @ericfincher67 figure it out for himself,.... why he is getting negative feedback. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh shut up.

;) 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Just trying to find a perfect balance 
    You seek unobtanium.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Not a problem.  I’ll take my questions elsewhere.  
    Say it with me now, y'all... Don't go...

Don't go until you can answer @Bob_Luken's questions. 
    edited June 2019
    @ericfincher67 Eric, no one's trying to be an azz to you, really.  I've been trying to figure out how to get you to understand us, because at some point we were all where you are now.  We think it's great that you're interested, but we're a broad spectrum of folks, many in the various stages of curmudgeon-hood .

So, it came to me.  There's a great parable which you're probably familiar with already.  It's called Gran Torino.  The Clint Eastwood movie.  Think about it.

@peter4jc is Walt Kowalski, because he is.

You of course are Tao.  You can find the rest of us in there, too.  I'm probably Kennedy "the drunken Irish Goon" construction boss.  You've got your choice of actors to fill the part of Martin "the old Italian pr1ck" barber.  And of course, @Bob_Luken as the 27 year old virgin priest, because that makes the rest of us laugh.  

Stick around.  We used to have another guy like you and I miss him.  He asked a zillion sometimes goofy questions, but also started some of our most fun and enduring threads.

And by the way, we've answered your question a few times, perhaps not in the way you expect, but it's a good answer.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    edited June 2019
    Ok I get it.  You guys just want to enjoy your cigars and not have to answer dumb questions.  I can adjust.
    Post edited by ericfincher67 on
    I have a bad habit of asking inappropriate questions.  Why, just today I got a lecture from my manager for asking someone if their last name was of Spanish origin.  I have a lot to learn. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that's funny
    A little dirt never hurt
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a bad habit of asking inappropriate questions.  Why, just today I got a lecture from my manager for asking someone if their last name was of Spanish origin.  I have a lot to learn. 

If you think that's bad, when I was in my twenties and landed a corporate office gig, I once commented at how my step mother was a "Pollock", and this immediately caused end of the world reactions. It took some explaining to get them to see that I was young and not yet preened and proper for the PC world and have always referred to Polish people as "Pollocks". :D
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    Yakster said:
    Gran Torino? I was thinking something else. Peter has the same piercing blue eyes as this gent.

And you want to be my latex salesman?!?

Nevermind that...  you still want to crash on my couch on the 27th?  Bwahaha...

I'll sleep with one eye open.

Ok I get it.  You guys just want to enjoy your cigars and not have to answer dumb questions.  I can adjust.
    No.  That's not it.  But, hang in there, you'll get it.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I'll sleep with one eye open.
    You can borrow Calvins whistle.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.