Home General Discussion

true Cubans?

greetings, new to the forum and I have a question. (shocker)

I inherited several plastic wrapped boxes of 2003 Habanos Cohiba limited editions double corona. I have only been smokin a year so no experiance. I have looked online and have found limited info on these smokes. They are pre hologram. I opened one box and really have no frame of reference to know how good/bad they are. They are not dry or moldy, I even sacrificed one to see if it was long leaf, it is. They are triple capped. I guess I am looking for someone with knowledge of cubans to tell me what else I can look for. Are they worth smoking or should I sell a box. Thanks in advance for any info.

Best Answer

Answers

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post pics. But there is no plastic wrapped boxes of cohibas
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• IamIuruIamIuru Posts: 16

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK.  First, I know zip about cubans.  However, there are many here who do know.  

So

If you really want these questions answered, you're going to have to give some more info.  I know this because I've seen this conversation take place many many times. 

First, inherited from whom?  Not their name, but Uncle?  Grandpa?  Dad?  Aunt Betsy?  And, what do you know about their cigar habits?  Did Aunt Betsy get them from her dear departed brother and stick them in the attic?  

Or, were they Uncle George's and he was a meticulous cigar fanatic who adapted a series of refrigerators to provide perfect climate control, where they've been for the last 16 years?

Next, you need to put up some pictures.  Good pictures.  Pictures of the cigars, the boxes, in focus etc.  

Then, you were willing to "sacrifice" one, I assume you're referring to a dissection of some sort.  Did you get photos of that?  If not, search Daniel Z. Reyes for ideas on how that works.

Finally, since you were willing to slice one up, have you smoked one of them?  If so, describe that experience to the best of your ability.  If not, why not?  You've got several boxes, right?  You're a cigar smoker, albeit not with much experience, right?

Let us know.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be willing to pay between two and five hundred dollars per box.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Inherited, Childhood friend who has smoked for 40+ years and recently quit and I was given his collection.

Pics will be posted soon.

Cut tip to tail to see inside. 

Smoked half of a box, I would put them on par with say Padron, very rich and I would say that they tend to get thick, heavy, gooie  in the last third again I have very limited experience. I Only took up the journey because of the inheritance. If there is one amongst the flock who would like to review one I would be willing to send one out.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show more pics. Cigars, bands  and box code from the bottom would be helpful. 
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You came to the right place if you want to send out a Cuban.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    @IamIuru ,

@Martel would be a good one to send a cigar to.  He does a pretty good job writing reviews.  At least you would read about the nuances of the cigar.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    IamIuru said:
    Inherited, Childhood friend who has smoked for 40+ years and recently quit and I was given his collection.

You really haven't given any detail on his storage situation. What kind of humidor or humidors did he have? Was he meticulous about humidity and temperature, or did he let things slide for the last eight, of those forty years? Very curious. Also curious for details about your friend's entire collection, Are we talkin' hundreds of cigars or 1000 plus. Are they all Cuban?   
    edited June 2019
    Bob_Luken said:
    IamIuru said:

You really haven't given any detail on his storage situation. What kind of humidor or humidors did he have? Was he meticulous about humidity and temperature, or did he let things slide for the last eight, of those forty years? Very curious. Also curious for details about your friend's entire collection, Are we talkin' hundreds of cigars or 1000 plus. Are they all Cuban?   
    As far as storage went, He had a large commercial (maybe 4ft tall x 2ft wide) and several smaller desktops. I received two 400/500s ( more for the beauty/craftmanship then the function) and a 100 desktop. His house probably never fluctuated more then 2 degrees all yr. I should have been clearer in that I was not given all his smokes or accoutrements. I turned down thousands. I was not a smoker then and have only just started. These cubans are the only ones I was having difficulty verifying as authentic.  Bob Luken if you would like to write up a review for all to see I will send one, pm me if interested. As for the unopened box a fair offer and they can be yours as these are wasted on me.

Post edited by IamIuru on
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pics of unopened box. Include the bottom and the tax stamp number
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    IamIuru said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    IamIuru said:

As far as storage went, He had a large commercial (maybe 4ft tall x 2ft wide) and several smaller desktops. I received two 400/500s ( more for the beauty/craftmanship then the function) and a 100 desktop. His house probably never fluctuated more then 2 degrees all yr. I should have been clearer in that I was not given all his smokes or accoutrements. I turned down thousands. I was not a smoker then and have only just started. These cubans are the only ones I was having difficulty verifying as authentic.  Bob Luken if you would like to write up a review for all to see I will send one, pm me if interested. As for the unopened box a fair offer and they can be yours. 

Thanks but no thanks. My experience with cubans is limited.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    pics of unopened box. Include the bottom and the tax stamp number
    This please, plus the full seal.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where the hell is Rodney @miller65rod
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Plastic wrap boxes? They don’t have plastic in Cuba. Fake!
    “Or should I SELL a box” that’s what this post is about IMO. 
    Just sayin 
    Also the band is a forgery, just look at the white checks.
    peter4jc said:
    I'd be willing to pay between two and five hundred dollars per box.
    I got a bridge in London to sell ya. 😁
    Oyam123 said:
    Just sayin 

your the first to say fake, any more info?what is wrong with the band? It is not about selling them, sorry to disappoint. If these are authentic, I have already smoked 15-20 of these and with my amateur pallet they are wasted on me. Thanks for all the info and time. 
    edited June 2019
    IamIuru said:
    Oyam123 said:
    Just sayin 

your the first to say fake, any more info?what is wrong with the band? It is not about selling them, sorry to disappoint. If these are authentic, I have already smoked 15-20 of these and with my amateur pallet they are wasted on me. Thanks for all the info and time. 
    White checks never touch the gold on the band, have some black in between.
    habanos doesn’t celo anyboxes. 
    could still be cheaper Cuban tobacco and decent to smoke, but people fear floor sweepings you find in many fake cigars. 
    MKO is the 2003 cohiba factory code. 
    IamIuru said:

Got this fake in Cuba last year. They do try, dont they. 
    Real? YES
    Oyam123 said:
    IamIuru said:

Those two bands are not even close. Bottom is cheap looking. anyway I guess Ill just smoke them. Thank all for the help.
    Just enjoy them and hand out a few to friends after they have had a few drinks. 😀