Home Cigar 101

Is this a Cigar Box Label? General Washington?

CraigCoGuyCraigCoGuy Posts: 4
Hello. New to Forum with a question. I found this between the pages of an old book.  I can not find anything on the internet about it.  General Washington also doesn't show up as a cigar brand.  I am stumped!  It is embossed woven metal, 4 3/8" x 8".  It says, "Warranted, General Washington, Hand Made."  Any ideas?

Answers

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked around  the web but just found your posts about this on a couple other sites.
  • CraigCoGuyCraigCoGuy Posts: 4
    I know, there is nothing else.  Do you think it's tobacco related?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if it's for a firearm. Warranted makes me wonder if it's something other than a cigar, but I think that word was pretty common in advertising copy back then.

As for cigars, everybody seemed to have their own brand back then so it could be. Not sure the tie between Washington and tobacco.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Yakster, maybe?  But I would think there would be something firearm related in the logo.  This shows plants, but it is hard to tell what kind of plant.
    edited August 2019
    Also Yakster, this label would be pretty expensive to make compared to a paper label.  So if it was a personal brand, the guy would have to be really rich.  I am at a loss.  If it was a firearm, you think it should still show up in a list of gun makers.  I even thought it looked a little like a bed mattress labels, but it is to fragile for that.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought Washington grew hemp. 
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I don't know if woven metal was a common insert into a box of cigars, either now or back a hundred years ago or more. Maybe, but how would that effects of humidity? and what kind of metal is it? If it's something that oxidizes then that would definitely get all over the cigars which are theoretically kept in a humid environment

The plant depicted on the logo does not really remind me of a tobacco leaf. I mean if anything, it reminds me of a marijuana leaf or some sort of tree leaf.

I guess the question would be what kind of product would come with a woven metal insert like this? Did tobacco used to come like this? I would assume that cigars would say hand rolled instead of handmade. Interesting mystery
    Don't look ↑
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's tea

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Found it.  Came on a box of condoms.
    The OG iron dome
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello. New to Forum with a question. I found this between the pages of an old book.  I can not find anything on the internet about it.  General Washington also doesn't show up as a cigar brand.  I am stumped!  It is embossed woven metal, 4 3/8" x 8".  It says, "Warranted, General Washington, Hand Made."  Any ideas?

Cool find!