Home Cigar 101

Bulging and cracked wrappers

Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
For the last week Al my cigars have been bulging around the area if the band. Frequently the wrapper from there down just falls off or is such a mess it's unsmokable. 
Almost all are new buys and are in either a desktop humi or tuppidors. At show temp and humidity to be at 67. I've calculated all hygrometers with boveda calibration bags with the last week.
I assumed from looking on line that the cigars were too moist. However I remember from reading the 102 newbie hints thread that kuzi16 said that such cracking of wrappers can come from too much moisture difference between the cigar and the air. It has been raining here a lot lately. 

Now I really don't know if they were actually bulging or not since I never seen one before. It looked like it to me but what do I know? 

Should I dry box them before smoking to see if that helps?

Second query. After the wrapper fell off my last cigar, I noticed this white spot that was under the wrapper. There was no sign of it on the wrapper itself. It didn't smear like I think mold would. Could it be something the rollers use?   
Any other ideas what might be causing the cracking??                                 
Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

Comments

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, mine are all running about 67 % as well but I'm not seeing anything like that. Outside Rh is mid 90's, inside is around 60 if my house gages are to be believed.   That's beyond my scope of experience....
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible the rh is spiking when I'm not around. I just bought some of those wifi hygrometers that keeps a daily log so I'll get a better idea. 
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New buys. That’s the 2-6 week rest period you hear talked about. It takes longer for the tobacco in the center to lose the extra humidity. 
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoking to fast can cause that as well.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As can buying Gurkhas.  

If these are Gurkhas, that's just what usually happens. 

I usually smoke indoors, at home, in the air conditioning, or heating in the winter.  Lower humidity in the house.  If I go outside, here in TN where the humidity is usually > 80%, that tends to cause those problems.  

And, that looks like mold, to me.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh, that's strange. If you've truly got them steady at an adequate humidity and temperature, that shouldn't happen unless they were kept poorly at the supplier and/or went through wild changes in temperature and humidity in transit to you. If this has occurred through various brands or just one type, that also narrows down the possibilities. Any significant and wild change in temperature and humidity is just bad, but I've not had this type of thing happen to me before. That cigar looks like it had been left out on the porch, stomped on, and fed to the dog for good measure.  :D
    Good luck finding out the solution, and keep us posted!
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    edited August 2019
    Smoking too fast is a definite possibility. I did notice one or two were a bit more bitter than be usual. I try to keep it to a minute a puff but when I'm multitasking I don't pay attention as much. 
    No they are not Ghurkas!. It happened on several different brands. 

That pic is of the naked cigar! The wrapper came completely off. BTW there was no white spot on the wrapper just underneath. 
    Post edited by Far_North_64 on

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what that spot is. Never seen anything like that before. Weird. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Now we got 2 from the great white north 
    So I had a few more yesterday and they were all fine. Did set them down a lot more and that seemed to work. Still don't know what the white stuff is that was under the wrapper. 

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never heard of mold growing anywhere except in the foot and on the wrapper. I don't see how it's possible for mold to grow between the wrapper and binder, but I've been known to be an idiot. 

Don't know if you want to share what kind of smoke that was or not, but I know I wouldn't want to smoke that LOL
    Don't look ↑
    That's why I wondered if it might be something they used when making the cigar. I don't know anything about that. 

Grand Habano vintage 2002

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @miller65rod favorite, if you have any left I would send them to him.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Look rock man those are Peter's favorite. He even recommended them to a fellow brother that is why I bombed him with them. Only to be sent a nice cellphaned pack of Fahiba's. He is the expert.

@peter4jc help this guy out on how to smokes these Gran Habano's
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grand Habano vintage 2002
    The first couple years those were out they were great.  I used to buy 1 or 2 bundles a month, telling my wife that I loved smoking a $10 cigar for $1.86 or so.  Then, it was over.  Bait and switch, I guess.  I tried one a couple months ago, just to see, but it was still meh.  I never had one gurkha on me like that, though.  

That white patch bothers me, it's slightly out of focus.  You say it didn't wipe off, so it's not mold.  Insect webbing for an egg sac?  Bird poop?  Dunno.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Look rock man those are Peter's favorite. He even recommended them to a fellow brother that is why I bombed him with them. Only to be sent a nice cellphaned pack of Fahiba's. He is the expert.

@peter4jc help this guy out on how to smokes these Gran Habano's
    They were my favorite until you bought up all the inventory from every website.  Now I can't get them because you're hoarding them all, and I have since found new favorites even though you still smoke 3 a day.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 296 admin
    That white spot looks like way too much "glue" used by the roller... It's a semi-clear solution they wet with their finger when attaching the label to the cigar. I know they don't immediately get boxed so it's not like the glue got screwy in transit, unlike box painting which I've seen a lot of when LE product gets rushed out the door.

@Far_North_64 You're storing these in a proper humidor, correct? Have you ever checked the seal on the humidor(s)?  Also, when it comes to a desktop humi, since the cigars often sit much closer to the humidification unit, I see weird stuff happen a lot even if you're keeping things lower at 67%.  (I personally keep my humis between 67%-69%.) Even if it's been raining a lot by you lately, that would be an insane reaction, especially if happening multiple times.

I just started buying cigars so nothing has been in my tuppidors or humidor for more than a week. They were not near the boveda packs. 
    I may dissect one just to see if anything is on the next one.

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be alien poop. A lot of strange things up there, abductions and all.
    B)
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just started buying cigars so nothing has been in my tuppidors or humidor for more than a week. They were not near the boveda packs. 
    I may dissect one just to see if anything is on the next one.
    It can take well over a week for cigars to acclimate. And it is completely safe to allow your sticks to contact the bovedas. You can lay them right on top if you wish.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...