Home General Discussion

Any truth to this?

KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was listening to a cigar authority podcast.  They said that cigars from bidding sites have been known to be a lesser quality blend than what you might get from a B&M. This was so the companies could get the cigars listed for a lower cost on a bidding/auction site.  
Just wondered if anyone has ever heard this before?  Have you all noticed anything different?  Maybe they said it to get people to steer toward B&M’s or their own online store?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they are saying that the same brand/line of cigars is different at the bid site, than the B&M is getting?

I have CAO America that I got from the evil bid site and I have the same cigar from my local. They looks and smoke the same.

There are lines made specifically for those sites, but they aren't the same lines as you get in a shop, so yes on that, but no on the rest.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which episode was that on?  I've listened to almost all of them and don't remember them saying that
    Don't look ↑
  • KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Yes to your first question. They are saying supposedly they take the same cigar brand/line and they don’t make it the same(same blend not as strong?)as what you might get from a B&M.  
    I wouldn’t think this to be true but still made think about it.  
    edited August 2019
    Which episode was that on?  I've listened to almost all of them and don't remember them saying that
    I wish I could say for sure.  I just recently found them and have been on a roll listening to them on the drive to and from work.  It was an email question they read on the show from a listener.  I thought they were going to shoot it down but to my surprise they said that it was actually true. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonna call BS on that.
    I've bought many cigars on both bid sites.
    No difference. 
    AF Short Story, Torano 1916, AJ New World and the list goes on and on.
    If there is a difference, it is so slight it isn't distinguishable. 

Not saying that there aren't some makers who make different levels of quality, just that the ones I buy, no difference.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigarauctioneer is legit. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

0patience said:
    Gonna call BS on that.
    I've bought many cigars on both bid sites.
    No difference. 
    AF Short Story, Torano 1916, AJ New World and the list goes on and on.
    If there is a difference, it is so slight it isn't distinguishable. 

Not saying that there aren't some makers who make different levels of quality, just that the ones I buy, no difference.

Thanks for the feedback. I haven’t had a bad experience so far just makes a person wonder if it BS or not when you hear something like that.  
    Usaf06 said:
    Cigarauctioneer is legit. 
    Thanks that is good to know
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't make sense that a guy like Saka would spend 2 years developing a blend, say like Sobremesa, and then alter it to sell it cheaply.  If people bought the cheap knockoff they may be turned off of the product thinking it was the real thing and it sucked 

TCA is my fav cigar podcast, but they're off the rails on this one.
    Don't look ↑
  • Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen bundles, basically box quantity without the box,  on cbid for example that I haven't found anywhere else. All the other online retailers sell the same brand but only in boxes.
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.