Home Ratings & Reviews

Colibri SV Cutter

VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
I feel like I'm overly qualified to give this review because I've cut exactly one cigar with this cutter. Before you WTF me, know that I picked this dollar stick so I could practice. 

the cutter is super heavy and pretty chunky in the pocket, but that doesn't really bother me. It has a straight cut on one side and a v cut on the other side. 

When you cut from either side, the cap ends up in the middle between the two cutters. Both of the blades cut simultaneously as they are on the same glider. The way it's made, you can't cut it with both blades at the same time because of the plastic molding in between the two blades.

The button causes the blades to snap open pretty loudly, and it's kind of cool, although I wonder if repeated use will end up loosening the entire device. New, it's put together very well and the moving parts of a very tight feel.

Pushing down to make a cut on either side is very easy, feels like a light trigger. Making the cut with the v cutter, I felt like I was cutting through warm butter. Way easier than I imagined it would be and way easier than my other cutters, even the good ones.

The v cut is pretty deep on the actual cigar. The one I chose was a Lonsdale type size and there was no cracking of the cap whatsoever. It seems like a good cut was never in doubt. Don't know how I feel about the v-cut in general, as I always straight cut everything, I'm going to use it for a while and see what it's about.

40 bucks at Holt's with free shipping makes it a really good deal, I imagine the only thing that people would not like about it is the size and the weight.  Funny thing is but when I went to Holt's and search for it, it came up as 50 bucks with no free shipping, but when I clicked on accessories, then cutters, then scroll through the list, I found it at 40 with free shipping. Go figure.  
Don't look ↑

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The way it's made, you can't cut it with both blades at the same time because of the plastic molding in between the two blades."

Mine doesn't have that.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, I guess a cigarello or true lancero might fit through there on the guillotine side.  Or maybe a very drawn out torpedo, but I just tried it with another 46 gauge cigar and it caught.  Maybe an improvement?
    Don't look ↑
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mentioned how it snaps open loudly. I've got the Colibri V and when mine snaps open the sound wave will make the soft flame on my table lighter jump. Seems like it almost snuffs it out.  
    My colibri straight cutter is the same way, and about 4 months in, I snapped it open and 2 screws flew out of one side. I attribute it to the snap.  Ruined, until I figured out that I could take one from the right side to have 2 on each side.  I'm constantly tightening them down on that one now.  
    Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could put some Loctite thread locker on the screws threads.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    You could put some Loctite thread locker on the screws threads.
    I use the blue kind on action screws and scope rings and bases so if it holds up to rifle recoil, I bet it works great on the lighter. Gel super glue also works okay but is a lot messier application
  • TranTran Posts: 4
    One might think that 75 bucks, is over the top for a cutter. I say, you get what you pay for. This is very true when it comes to this cutter. It is heavy and well made. I really like the precision v cut. It is smooth and precise every time. I think the money spent on a great cutter and lighter, adds tremendously to the overall experience. It is a one time expense and your done, for a heck of a long time.
    edited August 2019
    I've been using my SV since Oct. '18.  It is now wacked out - the release button doesn't work and unless I hold down the button while yanking and twisting on the other end, it won't open.  I'm going to open it up today and see if some loose tobacco got in there.  And I need to find out what kind of warranty these have.

Edit: even after taking out the screws, it doesn't open up.  :-(
    Post edited by peter4jc on
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried soaking in Isopropyl Alcohol?
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    No.
    peter4jc said:
    I've been using my SV since Oct. '18.  It is now wacked out - the release button doesn't work and unless I hold down the button while yanking and twisting on the other end, it won't open.  I'm going to open it up today and see if some loose tobacco got in there.  And I need to find out what kind of warranty these have.

Edit: even after taking out the screws, it doesn't open up.  :-(
    Mine has the opposite problem.  It won't latch.  Sometimes it does, but it's so sensitive that setting it down will cause it to shoot open.  It opens in my pocket and in my bag.  I was thinking the same thing, and I'm bummed out that it doesn't open all the way.
    Don't look ↑