Home General Discussion

Remember today

AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
My son just took this picture down in NYC. Think it says it all.image

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the places id like to visit soon. I remember that day like it was yesterday. Had just seperated from the Air Force.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in Mrs. Baker's 8th grade english class in school, parents wouldn't let me watch TV that morning and heard about it via a radio in her classroom. Shortly after that school was cancelled, remember that day vividly and will never forget it. Thanks for the reminder.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will never forget that day. I turned on the morning news as I was getting ready for work. Ended up staying home and holding my daughter while I watched the whole thing unfold. I almost re-enlisted the next day. The prior service recruiter was good enough to remind me I had a baby at home. I had never felt so lost... 

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still under construction on my last trip.image 

Went to the Memorial right after it opened on my first trip to NYC. Such a somber area. In the heart of Manhattan, with all the traffic and people all around, it was eerily quiet.image
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on the bus heading to school and I thought it was some messed up radio gag. School started with an assembly and they let us know what happened and sent us home. We never did feel immortal after that like kids our age should.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That day, on my way to work, my cell phone rang. "Have you seen the news?" was the first question.
    I had not.
    "Turn on the news and then make your way to Portland."

I saw the news, as the second tower got hit. No one knew whether there would be more attacks or what, so everything here was on high alert. 
    It was a very long day.

A feeling of helplessness, as those of us on the west coast could only sit and watch it all unfold and prepare for it here. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a day that will forever be etched in my mind. 
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Jim @Devildog1 perfect cigar to remember the day with. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was working in a Dialysis unit and they had TV's on. We were glued and there was a real panic involved. A Navy base had choppers flying over etc.. I was 40 and tried to join the military but I was too old.. Pissed me off. It was the worst part of humanity I have ever witnessed.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My roomie woke me up right after the first tower was struck (was working 2nd shift back then). Watched the second on the news with him. Will not ever forget the pain I felt, and millions felt. I remember how somber everyone was for weeks afterward. I also remember deciding that allowing the jackasses who did it to scare me was bs and That I needed to push back against their tactics by going about my life and finding the good in every day, by not living in fear.

I remember the law enforcement and fire fighters sacrifices, I remember the grief of those who lost loved ones.

Went to NYC in the winter of 2004. Couldn't go to ground zero with my co workers. Still probably couldn't go today. 
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't forget Storytown, Pa and The Pentagon
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My sister called me and told me to turn on the TV. I saw the second plane hit real time. The next day I drove by myself to Lake James NC and launched my sea kayak. No planes in the sky and no boats on the water. I dug in, got my rythum and paddled 10 miles down the lake, turned around and did 10 miles back. Didn't see a single person.
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    I was in the middle of a 3 year design and construction project in Camaçari, Brazil.  Standing on a a plant structure 120 feet in the air showing the Brazilians how to troubleshoot some instrumentation.  One of the Brazilian Engineers ran all the way up (no elevator) to tell me a plane flew into one of the towers. 

I thought I didn't translate correctly and continued to work.  Another BrazilIan ran up and said the second tower was hit.  I went downstairs to my office and couldn't get on the internet, still had dialup.  One computer in the office was already on and streaming the news.  All of us watched in disbelief as the towers fell. When I got home I hung my American flag on my house for a month.  Some said I was asking for trouble but I didn't care.

The next week a local worker pulled me as side in the MCC and told me how painful it must be for us as and that he was praying for America, we had a good conversation, even with my broken Portuguese.  Niether of us left with a dry eye.

It was bizzare being so far away and watching everything unfolding.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is second-hand, but the weirdest 911 story I've heard:

Got to talking with some road workers who were loafing (I know, loafing road workers is redundant) at an overlook in New Mexico not far from the Little Beaver Powwow which was taking place in Dulce. Conversation wandered to the UFO sightings for which the locality is so famous. These two fellows told me that on 9/11 all federal employees including even them were called in to the nearest air base. just in case. A big blimp shaped UFO came & hovered over the base. When the people in charge noticed that these workers were snapping pics & vids of the UFO, they herded them all into a hangar, closed the hangar doors, and confiscated all their cells.

We rode to the Flight 93 site before there was anything but a hole. Left a donation at the house on the way.Bought I forget what. Todd Beamer is my nominations for medal of honor. Let's Roll.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was working about 30 miles outside of DC.  My wife was working in DC a couple of blocks from the White House.  I had never heard her that frightened and have not heard her that frightened since.  She could see the Pentagon from her office and they were saying more planes were on the way.  There were a couple of fighters flying around the area too just in case.  We finally figured out a way where I could get close enough and meet her so she could get home.

It was a horrible day but it also seemed to bring everyone together as only events like that can do.  
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It pissed me off to no end.  Pisses me off to this day.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.