Home General Discussion

Hint of manure?

So... I was reading this review and something caught my attention:

"the wrapper has a strong earth aroma with a hint of manure. This is what I expected maduro corojo cigar."

Hint of manure? I mean - yeah some cigars, I guess smell like sh*t, but really? Idk. I personally think of other terms to describe the smell I'm getting. Most of the times its not manure when you think about it. It reminds me of the dried out hay or whatever they feed the animals with (not corn)... I associate it with a barn. Yes, there is manure, but idk...

How many of you and how often do you come across this "hint of manure"?

I personally would not find a cigar appealing if I see this in a review... Anyway... It just sounds odd...

Hint of manure.... Hint of manure... Manure essence... Pleasant hint of manure... idk...

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the word he was looking for was "barnyard"

i read an opinion oce from a guy that said only the best cigars smell like cow ***.

i smoke some good cigars, and there is a disproportionate amount that DO smell of barnyard.
  • MarkHMarkH Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Absolutely, I have my nose up to a Gurkha Monogram right now and by God it smells like a horse barn. Which is NOT bad mind you.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    There is no way getting around it. It is fertilizer and can and will aid to the aroma of a cigar. After changing multiple diapers for the past 3.5 years, I guess I don't smell the poop in my cigars, but I'm sure it's there.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    jeff_connors should be pooping in his lawn to make those plants really unleash!
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll0----I dont know why but this has struck me as one of the funniest posts or quotes I have ever seen-----and rather appropriate actually for many Gurkhas and every Victor Sinclair I have ever seen
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    kuzi16:

i read an opinion oce from a guy that said only the best cigars smell like cow ***.

i smoke some good cigars, and there is a disproportionate amount that DO smell of barnyard.
    I agree, a lot of them do. I remember that was everyone's take on the Nub Maduro. For some reason, I've found most of the darker wrappers have that smell. That could just be me though.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Matt Marvel:
    kuzi16:

I agree, a lot of them do. I remember that was everyone's take on the Nub Maduro. For some reason, I've found most of the darker wrappers have that smell. That could just be me though.

Having grown up on a farm the cigars with a 'barnyard' smell bring a smile to my face ...and most of them are damn good ...I'm just sayin ...
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Interesting comments here... I too found this quote rather funny and interesting. I guess I would have to agree that most cigars have this smell, but I still cannot freely call it "hint of manure"... I'd rather "barnyard". Is it really mostly maduros with this smell? Any ideas on why that is? Who here was a chemistry whiz?
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Renaissance_Man:
    Interesting comments here... I too found this quote rather funny and interesting. I guess I would have to agree that most cigars have this smell, but I still cannot freely call it "hint of manure"... I'd rather "barnyard". Is it really mostly maduros with this smell? Any ideas on why that is? Who here was a chemistry whiz?

Manure ....Hint of Barnyard ...You guys are so damn uppity ;)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its the fermentation process of the maduro process will do that. its a very slow and controlled break down of tobacco.... not too unlike a stomach breaking down veggies/grass...
  • rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    My girlfriend regularly tells me that I smell like $hit after I have smoked a maduro cigar. Tasty!!
  • andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    I actually thought the same (as did my girlfriend) about the Rocky Patel Autumn. It was a great smoke though
  • Lasabar:
    HA! the way/what I eat!! i would most likely take out half the neighborhood !!!!
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    jeff_connors:
    Lasabar:
    HA! the way/what I eat!! i would most likely take out half the neighborhood !!!!
    Come on man! Its a sure way to get that super full body camacho style ;)! And some toast in the "aftertaste"...
  • a heavy nutty overtone?
  • Ksnyder211Ksnyder211 Posts: 9
    Noticed the same thing about the smell.  Interestingly, the best cigars I've smoked to date, have smelled like what come out of a cow's @ss.
  • Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first review I read for Davidoff's Yamasa said the wrapper tasted like dog ****. Hopefully I'll gain the expertise to distinguish between dog and cow **** as my palate develops further. 
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think grassy s*** vs.  meaty s***. :D

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So that is what they mean by "Barnyard"  I have been wondering for a while now
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a heavy nutty overtone?
    "That's undertone, you idiot!"

(Sorry @jeff_connors, you're not an idiot.  It's a quote from a cigar commercial on a podcast  B) )
    Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Ghurka's have sacred undertones then?
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

I signed up for a chatgpt account just now after my boss mentioned it on our team call this morning. It's a natural language AI lookup/research tool. Here's some interesting questions and answers for 4 EP.

What flavors does 4 ethyl phenol create in coffee?

4-ethylphenol is a chemical compound that is sometimes found in coffee. It is a derivative of phenol, and it has a distinctive musty, barnyard-like odor. When present in coffee, it can contribute to the overall flavor profile of the coffee, but it is not typically considered a desirable flavor on its own. It is usually only detected at very low levels in coffee, and it is not known to create any specific flavors on its own.

What is the source of 4-ethylphenol in coffee?

4-ethylphenol is a chemical compound that is produced by certain microorganisms during the fermentation process. It can also be found in some plant materials, including some varieties of coffee. In coffee, 4-ethylphenol is usually produced during the roasting process, when the coffee beans are heated to high temperatures. The precise source of 4-ethylphenol in coffee can vary depending on a number of factors, including the specific type of coffee and the conditions under which it is grown and processed.

what is the source of 4-ethylphenol in cigars

4-ethylphenol is a chemical compound that is produced by certain microorganisms during the fermentation process. It can also be found in some plant materials, including tobacco. In cigars, 4-ethylphenol is usually produced during the curing and fermentation processes, when the tobacco leaves are exposed to heat and moisture. The precise source of 4-ethylphenol in cigars can vary depending on a number of factors, including the specific type of tobacco and the conditions under which it is grown and processed.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not impressed, high school writing at best. Answering the question about source the bot grabbed a few salient facts and boilerplated them, plugging in the product and process without offering anything more than a vague answer. I wouldn't trust it for more than Readers Digest answers.