Home General Discussion

Have you tried this hygrometer? What do you think?

JGruveyJGruvey Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Answers

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the smaller one the included sensor?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• JGruveyJGruvey Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Small one is sensor the large one reads your 3 sensors. It’s 60 bucks for 1 sensor and the reader and then 30 each for additional sensors.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get the desire to geek out, and this is in no way meant to tell you how to do what you do...  

If your storage units (what do you use BTW?) are up and down then something like this would be a great way to keep an eye on things.  If your storage unit is anything like most of us have - coolers, airtight storage boxes, wineadors, etc - then the humidity is pretty stable and you can just forget about it for long periods of time.  If that's the case you can get a reliable thermometer/hygrometer at Home Depot for $8, throw it in with your sticks and check it every once in a while.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    I currently have 2 humidors. A 100 and a 50 count. Would you suggest I get an airtight storage box instead of my 50 count humi? I’ve got a friend I could give it to. Do you fully line your boxes with cedar or just add trays inside?
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, check out the show off your humidor thread in general discussions.  Some people have tricked out their coolers very nicely.  I personally wouldn't line it with cedar.  Boxes trays and shelves made out of cedar are plenty sufficient.
    Don't look ↑
    @VegasFrank
    theres so many threads haha I’ll find it in a minute. Does the plastic mess with the cigars at all?
    But 90 bucks is a box (20) of new world Cameroons....
    Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up two Boveda Butlers (review here) that work pretty well and comes with a Boveda calibration packet, but they're sensors only without a display or a physical remote display.  You connect to them with a Bluetooth app on your phone to display the humidity and temperature and if you connect regularly you can watch the hourly / daily / monthly trends. Looks like the prices have gone up some since I picked these up, but you should be able to get a kit for under $30 if your interested.

I use Bovedas and mostly ignore the sensors but check occasionally, especially the temperature. Not sure I'd recommend this over a model with a display, but it's an option for people who like smartphone apps. Supposedly you could leave a phone or mobile device near your humidor with the bluetooth connected and check things out remotely because your data is uploaded to the cloud.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    I'm feeling nice cause I'm smoking all day for ten bucks.  Here's a link: https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/362549/show-off-your-humi-set-up/p46 

Although I don't have a cooler (my setup is on that link too), I've smoked a lot of chit from the guys on this forum who do have coolidors.  Ive never tasted plastic...
    Don't look ↑
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You clean the cooler when it's new and thereafter no plastic taste affects the cigars.

Just do it, and get it over with; you're going to run out of room in those humidors soon enough and drive yourself batty trying to regulate the humidity in the mean time.

Cedar has this mythical ability to do something, but it's not needed whatsoever.  Originally they used it for humidors to keep insects away.  Now it's just "we use spanish cedar because... hell, I don't know why, that's just how it's always been".
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    edited September 2019
    peter4jc said:
    You clean the cooler when it's new and thereafter no plastic taste affects the cigars.

Just do it, and get it over with; you're going to run out of room in those humidors soon enough and drive yourself batty trying to regulate the humidity in the mean time.

Cedar has this mythical ability to do something, but it's not needed whatsoever.  Originally they used it for humidors to keep insects away.  Now it's just "we use spanish cedar because... hell, I don't know why, that's just how it's always been".
    Because that's what a cigar box is supposed to smell like.  And 70 percent humidity is nothing more than a product of floral foam.  Someone figured out that it keeps 70 percent, and 70 percent turned into the standard...even though it's wrong.
    Don't look ↑
    I’ll look into an air tight cooler or storage container. How much does temperature make a difference? My house ranges from 50-68 will it really hurt my smokes if they aren’t at 70? I haven’t had much trouble in the past so I’m curious your thoughts?
  • TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given a choice I'd have them cooler than 70F.  My wineador keeps the smokes at 65 but I haven't really noticed any difference between my cigars there vs. those in my coolidor or my humidor which are at 70F or above (depends on the room's temperature).
    Okay as for a cooler should I be looking at Yeti’s or Igloo’s lol.
    Temp is crucial!  Keep it under 75, and I don't smoke anything under 60 degrees.  Many people freeze cigars to kill beetle eggs, but then gradually bring them back up before smoking.
    Don't look ↑
    @VegasFrank
    by that logic I can store my smokes in the garage for the winter? Temps range from -20 to 50?
    I guess, but you gotta be careful.  If you freeze them, you gotta do it slowly and with as little air as possible.  There's a thread on it somewhere about starting at room temp and then bagfing, moving to fridge, then the freezer, then reversing it and rehydrating them before smoking.  Not too sure, but your room temps should be fine.
    Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The moisture in the air at 70 F is going to be higher than the moisture in the air at 40 F when the relative humidity is the same because warmer air holds more moisture. This is going to mean that your colder sticks will be exposed to less moisture which may not be ideal.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    So at 50f you'd need to use something like 85% bovedas to keep up the RH?  This RH stuff is like sorcery to this old brain.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Below 70 degrees, beetles supposedly go dormant. Above 70, they scurry around looking for mates - and that begets more beetles. Be advised. 

As for the 70% RH factor, this comes into play since it's the average RH in the parts of the world where cigars are made and tobacco is cured. 

Personally, I prefer to keep my sticks at 65% RH but if they happen to go as low as 62% they tend to smoke even better......  🤐
  • Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use these. You get one hub and it control all the temp/humidity sensor by wifi, which means you can check them from anywhere not like Bluetooth.

As for coolers, a yeti would be Overkill. An igloo or similar quality cooler works great. 
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clarification...Room temp is about 70F most of the time and none of them are near a window where they'd get warmer from the sun...
    alright here’s my next question. These aren’t fun and y’all are helpful. I always stuck with my humidors not cooladors. So how many 320 gram Bovedas for a coolador that holds 400 sticks?
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go on Amazon or eBay and look up loose humidity beads. I bought them in 2 1lb packs for very reasonable price. Then buy or borrow from the misses a nylon stocking, put 1 lb of beads in it spray it good with distilled water, put it in your coolidor and you should be good. I've had 1 in my coolidor for over a year and the only thing I have to do is give it a spray every now and then. Keeps the humidity at between 68 - 70%. I have a 120 qt igloo. Bought some plastic trays with plenty of ventilation slots in them and even drilled holes in the bottoms for even more ventilation when I stack them. It holds a lot of sticks.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I used a 10-12 lb bag of Kitty litter ($16) and some bovedas. Using about a lb of the KL and a 60 gram boveda inside boxed cigars. Usin a 120qt cooler 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's a hygrometer?
    😏
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.