Home Cigar 101

Favorite Cut

SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
What is your favorite way to prepare your sticks

Favorite Cut 27 votes

V cut
44%
YankeeMan0patienceBob_LukenWylaffYaksterTNBigfoot68SmoothsticksNorCalR1VegasFrankTBonzTheCigarChickDapperDanMan 12 votes
Straight cut
40%
StubbleWaterNerdShawnOLTX98Z28deadmanIndustMechCalvinAndHoboBKDogBadSneakersTheKrakend_blades 11 votes
Punch
14%
Poker_SlobFirst_WarriorEric1668Lil_bump 4 votes

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    V cut
    6 months ago, straight cut.
    Now I favor the V cut.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight cut
    I really like the v cut when the cigar isn’t tight, but it’s harder to monkey with and I’ve had a few of the caps start to unravel with the v cut. A perfect v cut is better than a perfect straight cut though in my opinion. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    V cut
    I'm a V
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    V cut
    V Cut 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight cut
    Depends on the cutter that’s handy at the time. I V cut a lot currently because I don’t want to go out in the truck and hunt for my good cutter. 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pocket knife.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    V cut
    I really like the v cut when the cigar isn’t tight, but it’s harder to monkey with and I’ve had a few of the caps start to unravel with the v cut. A perfect v cut is better than a perfect straight cut though in my opinion. 
    For a long time v cutters were not something I thought I wanted.  I had only tried a xikar v a few times at a B&M with mixed results so I never considered buying/using the v-cut again for some of the same reasons you gave, damage and bad cuts etc. Then I tried a Colibri V-cut and loved it. I usually have both a Xikar xi (strait cut) and a Colibri V-cutter on the table and almost always use the Colibri.
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    V cut
    Agree with @Bob_Luken
    Ever since I got my Colibri, it changed my mind to V cutters. 
    Now, it is my primary cutter.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight cut
    It's a sad day when nobody favors the punch. :D
    I only use a straight cut more than a 'V' because I'm either half drunk all the time or half asleep and it's just easier.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Punch
    I like the punch most times.  If the shape of the cigar doesn't allow the punch the straight cut works for me. Never tried a v cutter.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Punch
    I almost exclusively use a punch. However, I have never tried a v-cut. It looks like I will be buying one soon to give it a try. Kinda surprised the Colibri is preferred.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a straight cut most often, with a punch always in my pocket. I have a lower range v-cutter but have only used it a few times with mixed results...guess I need to invest in a Colibri

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight cut
    Used to be a punch, now straight cut.  I seem to get a higher percentage of tar build up with the punch.  
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    V cut
    V for me too, especially on the sub 50 RGs, but only, and I mean ONLY, with a colibri deep v cutter, and never on a 58+ RG, unless you cross cut it, which I don't like doing.

Pro tip, I go over my v cut a couple of times to get it deeper (that's what she said).  Sometimes, I'll do two overlapping v cuts to get a wide cut also.
    Don't look ↑
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight cut
    I prefer the straight cut for most sticks, occasionally I'll use a V

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

V cut
    Sometimes I rotate my cigar and make an X cut if I need more airflow.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Oh great! 

You guys suck! 

Now I'm never going to be happy until I get a Colibri V-cutter.  The little one I have is only good for 48 rg or less.  And I was perfectly happy with my straight cuts.

Now see what you've done!  Grr....grumble, mmph...mutter mutter......
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I don't like about a deep V cut is that the bottom of the V on the two sides can leak air if you're the kind of smoker who doesn't get the cigar far enough into your mouth.  IOW, to get the same amount of exposed tobacco as a straight cut, the V needs to cut deeper into the body of the cigar.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    V cut
    I'm happy with my Xikar VX2 V-Cutter that doesn't cut as deep as the Colibri.  One of these herf's I'm going to compare this to the Colibri.

V cut
    When I use a straight cut, I sometimes cut too much off and split the wrapper. I also seem to end up with loose tobacco in my mouth that I need to spit out, even after tapping the head of the cigar on my cutter to dislodge this cut tobacco.

I don't have a loose tobacco problems or the wrapper problems with a punch, but I notice tar buildup more when I punch.

The V cut seems to keep the loose tobacco out of my mouth and doesn't seem to risk damaging the wrapper as much as a straight cutter.

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight cut
    I have more straight cutters and only one V cutter so I usually always go for the straight cutter. Used to punch before straight cutting but got it perfected to snip just a small amount of cap off, check draw and cut more if needed. As long as the draw is good I could careless how its cut.  
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the ring gage. Punch for a 52 or over. Straight for less. Not a big fan of the v cut. They have a tendency to tear the head in my opinion. 
  • EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned something the other day.. probably my new favorite thing is to cut the belicoso/pyramid cigars with a straight cut with a slight angle... making a bigger cut, while keeping a majority of the shoulder intact... this opens up the cigar a little more and can allow some forgiveness to any construction issues that develop at this frequently tighter area.
    V cut
    That's how lido Gomez cuts his tapered tip cigars.
    Don't look ↑