Home Cigar 101

Olivia questions

ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in Cigar 101
Ok folks,  this question is for you Olivia experts.
Looking at Olivia's series O (habano) and series G (Cameroon), they list a Maduro version for each.  Is the Maduro the same species just fermented until it becomes a Maduro?  ie; habano and habano Maduro.  Cameroon and Cameroon Maduro?  Or is the Maduro an altogether different leaf species?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

Comments

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I’d be interested in the answer too. I believe it’s the same leaf/wrapper, just aged or cured differently. Perhaps Lindsey @TheCigarChick could provide the correct answer!
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the maduros are Connecticut Broadleaf
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I know is after working through a box of the Maduro G's, I don't like them nearly as much as the Cameroon G's.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like both, but the Cameroon's better.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    According to the Oliva website, Edward is correct! Maduro is CT Broadleaf! Thanks @silvermouse
    And I agree with Amos, Cameroon is better, but both good!
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I would imagine the maduros taste similar then.  Don't know why they wouldn't ferment the respective leaves to Maduro unless they don't ferment extra long well.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Yakster said:
    Maduro fermentation is harder on the leaf, a Cameroon is already a delicate leaf so I imagine it wouldn't be a good match.

Mexican San Andres wrappers are strong and thick and really benefit from Maduro fermentation, and end up coming out tastier.
    Thank you, good info to remember.