Home General Discussion

how do you know

My wife pick me up 400 sticks. I'm new to cigars smoking and not sure how long they will  last without being in a humidor.  Could some one give me a little advice. I sure  hate for them to get molded or dry out.

Comments

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a cooler (like an igloo or Colman) and Bovida packs 1 gram per stick

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How's it going DZR?
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely DZR. 
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    You are new to cigars so your wife says to herself, "I'll let him try out this stinky hobby that I'm not going to like by buying him 20 boxes of cigars."

did she wrap them up like a present? Did she put them all in one container and put them under the tree? How big was that box that 400 cigars came in? Where did she get them? How much did she pay for them? Did she walk into a cigar store and say give me 400 cigars?
    Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walmart usually has good prices on coolers, if you can stand to shop there.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The avatar is a dead giveaway, Daniel.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    400 sticks.  That's hilarious! Who has 400 sticks?

Oh, wait, I do.

But I dang sure didn't get 'em all at once!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never even driven a car before but my wife just got me an 18 wheeler. Could someone give me a little advice?
    I'd never driven a dual after axel truck before, but had to drive a 60’ dual axel bucket truck over a mountain pass that had just been reopened after being shut down due to snow and that worked out ok. (after I broke the 40' bucket truck practicing shifting)

I'm still amazed they handed me the keys without asking if I new how to drive it or even letting me know it was a dual axel.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

did she wrap them up like a present? Did she put them all in one container and put them under the tree? How big was that box that 400 cigars came in? Where did she get them? How much did she pay for them? Did she walk into a cigar store and say give me 400 cigars?

She individually wrapped each cigar with a bow on each one.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a whole lot of phallic looking presents. Maybe she was trying to tell him something.
    Don't look ↑
  • Gindog1Gindog1 Posts: 16
    edited January 2020
    Since I haven’t been on since post and yes I guess I’m at a loss. She had went to a couple of the local cigar stores and bought their expert advice on their sticks.
    Post edited by Gindog1 on
    edited January 2020
    I personally think she did me a great favor. Only thing is I’ve never had this many cigars at one time. And since I spent months at a time way from home. She trying to keep me supply up. Only thing is I don’t want the to dry up or get  them mess up. 
    Post edited by Gindog1 on
    I don’t think driving a problem. Just to much smoke 
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y’all can be real dicks @ times... I think some of y’all need to think back to whenever y’all started in this hobby or when there were things in your life that you didn’t understand. But please continue on. You know that saying....what goes around.....
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gindog1 if you are home much to monitor the humidity them the cooler is your best bet. Walmart has a 48 qt island breeze cooler for under $20. Go ahead and get them in the cooler after you wash it out good to get rid of the plastic smell. Order a brick of 60 gram boveda packs or 1 to 2 of the 320 gram packs. Your new stash will be ok while you are on the road.

As for the wife, I think you should keep her.
    Ro, just saying, you did not take the time to give a "real" answer either so maybe step down from your high horse.  That being said, sometimes google is our friend, and we as people should consult google before we ask questions on a forum.  Also still no pictures of 400 cigars, so this is still not a confirmed "real" question.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Maybe he bought four ammo cans :D 

My high horse you say? Cute. Now go back and read some of dumb ass post...you know the ones when you could’ve should’ve googled!! 
    edited January 2020
    No need to try and out arsehole each other, you both win. Take it from me, I'm a real arsehole.

Yakster said:
    No need to try and out arsehole each other, you both win. Take it from me, I'm a real arsehole.
    I don’t even know you like talking about...but you can kiss my ass!
    I don't see an example that you can use for me where I didn't use google first.  Any way no reason why we can't be civilized.  This fine gent should get a cooler with bovedas.
    MOW badge received.
    Yeah, so good to have you back Ro.

Yakster said:
    Yeah, so good to have you back Ro.
    Ok that actually made me LOL! 
    i didn’t get on this site to course a pissing battle from you’ll. I was trying to get a understanding of what I needed to do with my sticks.  Sent Im not home and on the road it a little hard for me to do much with what at home in box's and bags.  So they will just sit and hopefully stay good to i get back home. I did have one blow up on me today. I hope I haven’t mess up and fix my problem. 
    Bovedas and any container big enough with a good seal, such as snapware or a cooler.  That blow up was probably from smoking too fast, the heat caused the wrapper to swell.  Slow down, put the burning end that stays the longest on the bottom, and enjoy.  Use 65 to 69 bovedas.  join the vherf and stick around.
    MOW badge received.
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bovedas and any container big enough with a good seal, such as snapware or a cooler.  That blow up was probably from smoking too fast, the heat caused the wrapper to swell.  Slow down, put the burning end that stays the longest on the bottom, and enjoy.  Use 65 to 69 bovedas.  join the vherf and stick around.
    P-b pretty CooL...If ya wanna go again at the Super BowL hit me.  Although, winK.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to blowing up like that from smoking too fast, I’ve had a couple blow up like that from excess humidity. Sitting under the awning of our travel trailer trying to enjoy a stogie during a heavy downpour turned out to be the culprit. 

I blamed the first one on poor construction. The second showed me the error of my ways. I don’t smoke outdoors during rainstorms any more. 

So sayeth the Oldfart...... 👴🏻