Home Pipes

Suggestions for a beginner

NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
So drunk me was on CBid again and bid on/ won some pipe tobacco problem is I don’t own a pipe ( drunk me should stay off CBid). Anyways my question is any suggestions on a good entry level pipe that won’t break the bank? Thank you in advance..

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

Comments

• TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been known to happen around here.  Sorry no help here NCR.
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Drinking gin & tonics....need DM's new address.  Could get good.....
    @avengethis, @IndustMech, @NorCalR1, @Yakster, @gonnafooksomeoneup

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there's anything I can do...
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

stank you...whew, room isa spinninn...
    NorCalR1 said:
    So drunk me was on CBid again and bid on/ won some pipe tobacco problem is I don’t own a pipe ( drunk me should stay off CBid). Anyways my question is any suggestions on a good entry level pipe that won’t break the bank? Thank you in advance..
    What tobacco did you order?
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stubble any thoughts on a decent pipe?

edited January 2020
    Stubble said:
    NorCalR1 said:
    @Stubble any thoughts on a decent pipe?
    Many.  I'll provide a tracking number tomorrow.
    Steve that was  definitely not  part of this post! 
    Post edited by NorCalR1 on

NorCalR1 said:
    Stubble said:
    NorCalR1 said:
    What tobacco did you order?
    In no particular order and without any knowledge of WTF I was doing I ordered 

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding
    Ashton Gold Rush
    Peterson The Royal Yacht
    Dunhill Three Year Matured 
    W.O. Larson 1864 Perfect Mixture

Whether intended or not, that's a nice selection.  Welcome to the world of pipes, where one can smoke for a week for the price of a good cigar!   :)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    edited January 2020
    Oh, and I'm particularly fond of Stanwell.  Great pipe for a reasonable price.  I've got about 5 of them.  You can usually pick up a good one on sale for about 50 bucks, or a really good one for well under $200.  Check out Pipes & Cigars, and Smokingpipes.com .

• TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...memory's of the Old CI Banter.   Thanks BrO's.
    Oh, and I'm particularly fond of Stanwell.  Great pipe for a reasonable price.  I've got about 5 of them.  You can usually pick up a good one on sale for about 50 bucks, or a really good one for well under $200.  Check out Pipes & Cigars, and Smokingpipes.com .
    Thanks for the info I will take a look. I don’t always have the time to commit to a stick so I like the pipe option. 

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know in October I owned one pipe that was gifted to me... Now I have 15. Plum pudding is awesome stuff. I really enjoy Virginias and vapers. Let me know if you’d like some stuff to sample.
    You may also want to check out the Pipe Tips for Cigar People thread.  Pay close attention to packing, and tamping.  I'll say it again here, the importance of tamping cannot be overstated if you wish to enjoy pipe smoking.

9405 5159 0141 9636 8978 00
    Eulogy said:
    You know in October I owned one pipe that was gifted to me... Now I have 15. Plum pudding is awesome stuff. I really enjoy Virginias and vapers. Let me know if you’d like some stuff to sample.
    I will definitely take you up on that offer in the near future. We should try and meet up as well seeing as we both are in the bay

You may also want to check out the Pipe Tips for Cigar People thread.  Pay close attention to packing, and tamping.  I'll say it again here, the importance of tamping cannot be overstated if you wish to enjoy pipe smoking.
    I will be reading up as much as possible seeing as my current knowledge is 0.00% 😂

Stubble said:
    9405 5159 0141 9636 8978 00
    All I can say is Wow! Unexpected and much appreciated. 

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NorCalR1 said:
    Eulogy said:
    I will definitely take you up on that offer in the near future. We should try and meet up as well seeing as we both are in the bay

Let me know, I've got a few pipes and some tobacco and would be happy to provide pointers or just attend a pipe herf.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    NorCalR1 said:
    Eulogy said:
    We should try for a herf sometime but I work every weekend so it would have to be on a Tuesday or Wednesday. If you want to try some stuff let me know I have a few mundane things to unicorn teeth. 
    Ropp pipes are nice and fairly cheap if you’re looking. But really any name brand will be good. Ie Stanwell Savinelli Peterson are all suppose to be solid but I don’t own any presently. Try a corncob pipe first to see if you like pipes before you commit to something expensive. Also always have pipe cleaners... you may think 300 is too many but it’s not... 
    P&C has them all marked down 20% right now.  

I figure I shouldn't be the only one who has that weighing on his mind right now.

:*